corby20

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2001
i was just wondering about the system that im gonna set up. right now im putting in a psu with 2 fans, also one 8cm fan on the back and one 9cm fan on the front of the case. im planning to set up a 12cm on the side to blow on the mb. but where would be the best placement of that fan? im thinkin about putting it on the rear back of the case but im open to suggestions!

thanks!

can't beat the AMSTRAD

dejay

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2001
Directly over the cpu/ram slots is popular, as well as over the pci cards.

<font color=purple>I'm new here, I don't deserve a sig.</font color=purple>

corby20

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2001
but being near the top frontish area wouldnt it be not as usefull there? Im really not sure where it'd be the best

can't beat the AMSTRAD

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
best places to put fans...
1.bottom front in conjunction with a top rear

2.bottom front in conjunction with top middle of case

3.(looking from the front) left side, middle, as close to over the cpu/agp card as you can get it...larger fan helps...in conjunction with a rear exhaust, or top exhaust.

i think that when you have it blowing right over the video card, and the cpu, you get better video card cooling, and cpu cooling, and there will be less "forward" noise because the fan is not on the front of the case.
and i think that a "chimney" fan will help a lot.
think about it this way...heat moves up. the top of the case is the logical place for most applications.

a thing you might look into when you are adding fans is fan control...like a bay bus...
they help control the noise, and make it so that when you are running your computer on days where it is cold in your room, or you dont really need the fans, you can turn them off, to conserve energy, and to make the computer much quieter...
also, look into some large, low noise fans.

have fun modding, and remember that once you start, you will become hooked, and next thing you know, you will be trying out a bunch of crazy stuff....
take your time, measure 10 times, but once, and GET THE RIGHT TOOLS!
a dremel is nice to have for something like this, with a few of those FIBERGLASS REINFORCED cut off wheels. if they are those normal ones, they can EXPLODE, they did to me, after i read about it happening, used it for a while, figured the article was BS, and when i was trying to cut an aluminum post on a rheostat, the wheel exploded, and shot pieces in all directions...oh yeah, that reminds me, wear safety goggles...that will save your eyes.

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
my side fan is like that...but since it is a 120mm fan, it pretty much covers the cpu and the agp slot.
i dont have the power exhaust yet tho...need to buy another 120mm...but i might get some panaflows, and replace the 120mm in there already...if they are much quieter...because i would like to have it a bit quieter...

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Standard flow Panaflows are quite and move a good amount of air. High speed Panaflows are noticeably loud and move a lot of air. I've been recommending Panaflows for years.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?