Chaintech 60JA3+Celeron 900

Ikbenhet

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2001
Help,

How do I overclock my cpu? I'm a total newbie, but I really want to learn something about hardware tweaking. Overclocking my cpu seems like a good start...

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Humm... wasn't aware Chaintech made motherboards... Anyway, you want to see if you've got front side bus adjustments, preferrably in the BIOS but you may have to use jumpers on that board.

The Celeron 900 has a 100 MHz. front side bus and a 9x multiplier. Try raising the FSB and see how far you can get. Bear in mind that as you push the FSB, you'll also push the AGP bus and PCI bus higher as well so the limiting factor to overclocking this setup may be your other cards and not the capability of your chip. I would think that 900 Celeron chip should be able to get well over 1 GHz. Unfortunately, these Intel chips are locked so you can't change the multiplier... multiplier adjustments make it far easier to overclock on chips like the Athlon.

Another thing you might do to help overclock higher is to increase CPU voltage. I think your Celeron runs normally at 1.7 volts, so you might try 1.8 and see if it helps stability at overclocked speeds.

In the final analysis overclocking is fun to try, but isn't worth a hoot if your machine isn't totally stable!

Couple of things to keep in mind. Overclocking generates more heat, so make sure you have good CPU cooling in place. Also, you run the risk of corrupting your software.

Scout

Ikbenhet

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2001
Thanx Scout,

You were right,

I've pushed the FSB a few times, 110 120 132. All went well, except for the last time. The BIOS picked the CPU up as a 1188 Mhz. Then it just said disc faillure. It seemed the whole os was gone. My HD was erased, ha,ha,ha. My first important lesson, don't push it too far. It didn't matter though, I'd just installed it a few days ago. I forgot to raise the CPU voltage... could this be the reason the HD crashed?

I've got a 128Mb 133 memory dimm by the way, so the memory is allright (for o.c. the cpu), isn't it?

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Personally, I've never gotten much out of increased voltage, probably because I don't push it as far as some do. You're getting pretty close to 1.2 GHz. there and that's a lot to ask out of that CuMine core... Remember, Intel had to recall their top of the line Pentium III at 1.13 GHz. due to stability problems, and you're trying to get what's probably a lower grade of silicon higher than that!

One thing to check is how your Mobo handles the AGP divisor. I know on my Asus, it changes from 1/2 to 1/3 at 120 MHz. Front Side Bus. Your board may have a jumper.

Scout

svol

Champion
It could be because of your higher FSB, I don't think the lower CPU voltage has anything to do with a HD crash.
If your mobo supports a 133 MHz FSB then maybe you can set the FSB/PCI divider to 1/4 so that the PCI bus speed is 33.3 MHz (133/4=33.3) again.

BTW: Are you Dutch?

My case has so many fans that it hovers above the ground :eek: .