Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Any way to improve this laptop?

Last response: in Video Games
July 12, 2012 2:23:06 PM

I've had this laptop for a while and while it is quite good for gaming it's just slightly under what I would like in terms of performance. I was wondering if there was anything I could add/modify to increase performance?
I have been having issues with heat which results in decreased performance but I am going to get a cooling pad to remedy the problem hopefully.

Specs:
Acer AS5755G
Windows 7 Home Premium 64Bit
i7-2670QM 2.2Ghz (Turbo Boost to 3.1Ghz)
8GB RAM
Nvidia 2GB GeForce GT 540M

Would additional RAM help? The retailer I bought it from said the maximum RAM capacity was 8 gigs but the processor info on the Intel website says it can take up to 16GB.

Cheers for any help.

More about : improve laptop

July 12, 2012 2:53:27 PM

According to crucial 8Gb is the maximum RAM, so other than fixing the heat problem the only upgrade you could do is get a ssd this will only help load times though. Laptops are generally not very upgradeable.
m
l
July 12, 2012 7:19:16 PM

As mentioned above, laptops are not very upgradable. Additional RAM really wouldn't help you out especially if you are at 8GB already. You only need more RAM when you are utilizing more than what you have installed and I doubt you are. The CPU might support more, but the laptop may not. If you have having heat issues I would get a cooling pad with fan(s). Hopefully that will keep it from downclocking due to heat. We used to have a few people at LAN parties bring in laptops and they had to use them or they would start to downclock once they got toasty. I would try that out and see if it helps. Also, as mentioned above an SSD may speed things up, but only load times and boot times. It wouldn't help general gaming performance at all. You also loose storage because they are so darn expensive. The Seagate Hybrid drives are nice though.
m
l
Related resources
a c 434 D Laptop
July 13, 2012 4:12:31 AM

If you are daring enough, you can take apart the laptop to clean off the thermal paste and apply a fresh layer for both CPU and GPU. That should help reduce temps a bit unless the laptop chassis has been designed so poorly that there is very limited airflow.

8GB of RAM is more than enough for games which generally maxes out at around 1.6GB of RAM usage depending on the game.

A SSD can improve the overall responsiveness of the laptop, but it will not improve frame rates.
m
l

Best solution

July 13, 2012 8:48:11 AM

The best thing you can do is overclock the GPU core (not memory).

It is EXACTLY the same GPU as the gt550m, except yours is clocked at 672mhz whereas the 550m is 740mhz.

see here: http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-540M.417...

I have a 525m and match the core clock with the 550m. It screams (in a good way).
I heartily recommend if you know what you are doing to apply good TIM to the processor and GPU (i use MX-3 but they have an MX-4 now).
July 13, 2012 8:49:47 AM

oh I use MSI Afterburner to OC.... it is very easy to use and gives you all the data (like load and temp graphs) right there on the front panel of the gui.
m
l
July 13, 2012 6:15:14 PM

^^ it is soldered as are most gpus, the OC is really very easy and reliable. There is a large community that OC this family of cards.
m
l
a b D Laptop
July 13, 2012 9:12:20 PM

the OC also overloads the undersized cooling system which was not designed for increased thermal output (in most cases the cooling system was probably designed with base model in mind that had something like GT520 in it). Considering OP is already having heat problems, OCing seems like adding oil to the fire.
m
l
July 13, 2012 11:40:17 PM

Mine only increased temps by 5 deg C or so. You cannot play with the voltage and depending on the GPU the temps don't actually necessarily "overload" the cooling system.

His heat problem can most likely be remedied by applying half decent TIM. The stock stuff is garbage. The GPU max op temp is 105C, CPU is 100C. If he is approaching these at stock then there really is a problem with the cooling system.

Did you even try to look for the LARGE COMMUNITY of 525m and 540m OCers? Probably not.
m
l
July 14, 2012 12:06:29 PM

Thanks for the help guys, I'll take a look at the thermal paste and see if I can get it put in at the place I bought my laptop from.
I'll try overclocking the GPU and see if that makes any significant increase in temperature. What would be an ok temperature for the GPU/CPU to run at that wouldn't cause damage? I'm guessing the maximum operating temperature wouldn't be ideal to run at.
m
l
July 14, 2012 11:35:53 PM

I stick to 85-90 MAX (under very heavy load) Mine is usually near 80-82 at 550m speeds. but on a warmer day it can go up to around 89.

CPU stays at around 70-75 MAX for me.
m
l
July 15, 2012 7:59:16 AM

I got my cooling pad and it's worked wonders, it's cooled everything down enough for me to overclock my 540M to 740/960. The temp does sometimes go up to 92 degrees on the GPU so I may have to lower the overclock a little. CPU generally stays around 85ish. :D 
m
l
July 15, 2012 12:17:45 PM

Best answer selected by Sknight567.
m
l
July 15, 2012 5:00:25 PM

Sknight567 said:
I got my cooling pad and it's worked wonders, it's cooled everything down enough for me to overclock my 540M to 740/960. The temp does sometimes go up to 92 degrees on the GPU so I may have to lower the overclock a little. CPU generally stays around 85ish. :D 

That sounds like the thermal paste is pretty bad (as I thought earlier). It is cheapish to get some good stuff (I use Artic MX-3) it should cost maybe $10US or £7-8 UK.

The trick is that you would have to disaasemble the laptop to install it. I do this with mine myself but if you are not a confident system builder/ enthusiast then it may cost a fair amount for a computer repair place to do it.

It should take no more than 1.5 hours to do this job so if you can shop around for an hourly rate and see if a local PC store would do it for a reasonable fee. Otherwise you can try to find a decent disassembly guide online and try your hand at it ( a note of warning, some guides are better than others, I have had perfect ones and seen ones that miss a couple of screws or similar).

Good Luck!

m
l
!