faxing over the internet

is there a way to fax, without the machine, just over the
internet? i have broadband cable, i dont have a "fax
machine". can any one of you guys out there recomend a
free program?
5 answers Last reply
More about faxing internet

    Faxing requires phone lines, not the Internet. If you want to hire an
    Internet Service to do your faxing for you, none is free.
    You will need to use a fee based Internet Fax Service. Several are listed
    here: http://www.savetz.com/fax/

    --
    Russ Valentine
    [MVP-Outlook]
    "Chris" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > is there a way to fax, without the machine, just over the
    > internet? i have broadband cable, i dont have a "fax
    > machine". can any one of you guys out there recomend a
    > free program?

    Chris,
    Just hook up your modem to the phone line and then you can send all
    the fax you want. I use the one included in Windows XP. Works fine for
    me.
    TonySper

    "Chris" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    is there a way to fax, without the machine, just over the
    internet? i have broadband cable, i dont have a "fax
    machine". can any one of you guys out there recomend a
    free program?

    Tony,
    I have a dsl line and fax wizard yet the system says no dial tone. Do I need
    to run the line differently?
    Greg

    "TonySper" wrote:

    > Chris,
    > Just hook up your modem to the phone line and then you can send all
    > the fax you want. I use the one included in Windows XP. Works fine for
    > me.
    > TonySper
    >
    > "Chris" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > is there a way to fax, without the machine, just over the
    > internet? i have broadband cable, i dont have a "fax
    > machine". can any one of you guys out there recomend a
    > free program?

    Greg,
    You need a phone line connected to your MODEM. You cannot send a fax
    through the DSL Modem. You can use the same phone line side that your
    phone is connected to and connect that up to your modem. That's what I
    do here. If you check you DSL modem connection you either have it
    connected through a USB port or through your NIC card to your
    computer. This will not allow you to send a fax through the DSL modem.
    You need a separate standard modem connoted to your computer and
    directly to the phone line. In other words the fax has to go through
    the fax modem to the phone line.
    Tony

    "TonySper" wrote:

    > Chris,
    > Just hook up your modem to the phone line and then you can send all
    > the fax you want. I use the one included in Windows XP. Works fine
    > for
    > me.
    > TonySper
    >
    > "Chris" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > is there a way to fax, without the machine, just over the
    > internet? i have broadband cable, i dont have a "fax
    > machine". can any one of you guys out there recomend a
    > free program?

    Fax uses an ANOLOG modem, your DSL modem uses Digital signals. Regular
    phone line [anolog] connected to anolog modem in PC. DSL filters need to be
    installe on phone lines to block digital signals. Obtain filters from Radio
    shack or DSL provider.

    "Greg" <Greg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Tony,
    > I have a dsl line and fax wizard yet the system says no dial tone. Do I
    need
    > to run the line differently?
    > Greg
    >
    > "TonySper" wrote:
    >
    > > Chris,
    > > Just hook up your modem to the phone line and then you can send all
    > > the fax you want. I use the one included in Windows XP. Works fine for
    > > me.
    > > TonySper
    > >
    > > "Chris" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > is there a way to fax, without the machine, just over the
    > > internet? i have broadband cable, i dont have a "fax
    > > machine". can any one of you guys out there recomend a
    > > free program?

Fax Microsoft Internet Windows XP