v710, verizon and bluetooth -- what actually works?

I'm having a hard time figuring out what Bluetooth functionality actually
does and doesn't work on Verizon's new v710's. If you've recently gotten one
and have tried using Bluetooth, can you tell me what you have and haven't
been able to get to work?

I know Verizon's deliberately crippled the Bluetooth support, and doesn't
allow file exchange etc. But what I'm really curious about is the Dialup
Networking (DUN) profile, and I can't seem to get to the bottom of it.

The Verizon website pretty clearly says it's supported. But, I've talked to
two salesmen in person, and one guy at Verizon tech support, and they all
flat-out said that the headset is the only thing that'll work with
Bluetooth, and that DUN specifically won't. But there's also a lot of recent
discussion online that suggests that the DUN profile does actually work
(though little else does).

So I'm all confused, and would really love to hear about any actual
experiences with this.

Thanks in advance for any info!

I. R. F. wrote:
> I'm having a hard time figuring out what Bluetooth functionality
> actually does and doesn't work on Verizon's new v710's. If you've
> recently gotten one and have tried using Bluetooth, can you tell me
> what you have and haven't been able to get to work?
>
> I know Verizon's deliberately crippled the Bluetooth support, and
> doesn't allow file exchange etc. But what I'm really curious about is
> the Dialup Networking (DUN) profile, and I can't seem to get to the
> bottom of it.
> The Verizon website pretty clearly says it's supported. But, I've
> talked to two salesmen in person, and one guy at Verizon tech
> support, and they all flat-out said that the headset is the only
> thing that'll work with Bluetooth, and that DUN specifically won't.
> But there's also a lot of recent discussion online that suggests that
> the DUN profile does actually work (though little else does).
>
> So I'm all confused, and would really love to hear about any actual
> experiences with this.
>
> Thanks in advance for any info!

AFIK (and it might not be much!) the DUN is through a cable only. BT is
totally restricted to the headset and (reportedly) pairing to autos.

Nope - DUN works fine through Bluetooth. I do it all the time.
> I. R. F. wrote:
>> I'm having a hard time figuring out what Bluetooth functionality
>> actually does and doesn't work on Verizon's new v710's. If you've
>> recently gotten one and have tried using Bluetooth, can you tell me
>> what you have and haven't been able to get to work?
>>
>> I know Verizon's deliberately crippled the Bluetooth support, and
>> doesn't allow file exchange etc. But what I'm really curious about is
>> the Dialup Networking (DUN) profile, and I can't seem to get to the
>> bottom of it.
>> The Verizon website pretty clearly says it's supported. But, I've
>> talked to two salesmen in person, and one guy at Verizon tech
>> support, and they all flat-out said that the headset is the only
>> thing that'll work with Bluetooth, and that DUN specifically won't.
>> But there's also a lot of recent discussion online that suggests that
>> the DUN profile does actually work (though little else does).
>>
>> So I'm all confused, and would really love to hear about any actual
>> experiences with this.
>>
>> Thanks in advance for any info!
>
> AFIK (and it might not be much!) the DUN is through a cable only. BT is
> totally restricted to the headset and (reportedly) pairing to autos.

Slick, when did you get your v710? Do you just dial your own ISP or do you
somehow use Verizon's data network?

Slick wrote:
> Nope - DUN works fine through Bluetooth. I do it all the time.
>> I. R. F. wrote:
>>> I'm having a hard time figuring out what Bluetooth functionality
>>> actually does and doesn't work on Verizon's new v710's. If you've
>>> recently gotten one and have tried using Bluetooth, can you tell me
>>> what you have and haven't been able to get to work?
>>>
>>> I know Verizon's deliberately crippled the Bluetooth support, and
>>> doesn't allow file exchange etc. But what I'm really curious about
>>> is the Dialup Networking (DUN) profile, and I can't seem to get to
>>> the bottom of it.
>>> The Verizon website pretty clearly says it's supported. But, I've
>>> talked to two salesmen in person, and one guy at Verizon tech
>>> support, and they all flat-out said that the headset is the only
>>> thing that'll work with Bluetooth, and that DUN specifically won't.
>>> But there's also a lot of recent discussion online that suggests
>>> that the DUN profile does actually work (though little else does).
>>>
>>> So I'm all confused, and would really love to hear about any actual
>>> experiences with this.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance for any info!
>>
>> AFIK (and it might not be much!) the DUN is through a cable only. BT
>> is totally restricted to the headset and (reportedly) pairing to
>> autos. Q

What BT adapter are you using?

Mike

Splendid

On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 20:57:36 -0500, "I. R. F." <someone@somewhere>
wrote:

>Slick, when did you get your v710? Do you just dial your own ISP or do you
>somehow use Verizon's data network?

DUN and other Internet data work fine through Bluetooth. I use it
frequently with my v710 and not only a laptop with a Bluetooth dongle,
but my BT-enabled Pocket PC (iPaq 2215). I've used it as recently as
this afternoon.

As far as I know, the new firmware version for the v710, the one
reportedly available at VZW stores' tech departments, does not change
this at all.

I have the 4.99/mos mobile web and dial #777 - using both Mobile Office Kit
and MPT 3.19e - both work for this. My phone was bought Aug 2004 and traded
Jan 2005 for blue-dot with straight camera. DUN worked on both.
"I. R. F." <someone@somewhere> wrote in message
> Slick, when did you get your v710? Do you just dial your own ISP or do you
> somehow use Verizon's data network?
>

> "Slick" <slick_willy_@EatSpam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Nope - DUN works fine through Bluetooth. I do it all the time.
>> "Quaoar" <quaoar@tenthplanet.net> wrote in message

>>> AFIK (and it might not be much!) the DUN is through a cable only. BT is
>>> totally restricted to the headset and (reportedly) pairing to autos.

I have a Kensington USB adapter I bought off eBay.
> Slick wrote:
>> Nope - DUN works fine through Bluetooth. I do it all the time.
>> "Quaoar" <quaoar@tenthplanet.net> wrote in message

>>> AFIK (and it might not be much!) the DUN is through a cable only. BT is
>>> totally restricted to the headset and (reportedly) pairing to
>>> autos. Q
>
> What BT adapter are you using?

I too use DUN fine with bluetooth as well from an IPAQ555 PDA on my V710

>I have a Kensington USB adapter I bought off eBay.
>> Slick wrote:
>>> Nope - DUN works fine through Bluetooth. I do it all the time.
>>> "Quaoar" <quaoar@tenthplanet.net> wrote in message

>> What BT adapter are you using?

Thanks everyone for the info. I decided to take the chance and picked up a
v710, and after a little tweaking of the settings it actually worked! I got
my PocketPC online through it over BT. Great info up on howardforums.com
with the details BTW.

Here's hoping vzw doesn't turn it off nytime soon!

"John Mullaney" <john.mullaney@comcast.net> wrote in message
>I too use DUN fine with bluetooth as well from an IPAQ555 PDA on my V710
>
> "Slick" <slick_willy_@EatSpam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>I have a Kensington USB adapter I bought off eBay.
>> "Quaoar" <quaoar@tenthplanet.net> wrote in message

>>> What BT adapter are you using?

Has anyone gotten Motorola Phone Tools to work with Bluetooth? I read
somewhere that it does
but I can't get it to work with mine? I wish I could at least sync my phone
book with it.