Need a good heatsink for AMD 1900+

G

Hello PC gurus:

I got a Dragon Plus motherboad and want to get an AMD 1900+ CPU. My question is what's a good heatsink fan for AMD 1900+ processor? I looked in AMD.com and they recommended avvd thermal. I don't think that one is that good at all. I'm leaning toward the Swiftech MC 462, because it's a screw down not clamp on. The AMD 1900+ can only take 300gram of weight at max. if it is a clamp on. I think the AMD 1900+ can take more weight if the heatsink fan is screw on to the motherboard. I want at least above average heatsink fan for AMD 1900+. Any suggestions is highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
God bless the USA!!

Boondock_Saint

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2001
I personally own the MC-462-A, and can tell you it was the best thing out on the market. Load = 40oC, Idle 35oC. Now with the arrival of the MCX-462, you get EVEN BETTER preformance!

:tongue: Have you ever tried cooking an egg on your HSF? Tasty. :tongue:

G

I heard the Volcanoe 6CU can do that job fine. What's the difference in temp between the Swiftech MC462 and the Volcanoe 6CU, do you know? How bout the noise level for the Swiftech MC462, is it noisy? I like the Swiftech MC462 also, it kicks ass so far but it weights more than 2 offensive linemen.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
I would guess the difference in temps between the Swiftech MCX462 and the Volcano 6CU is probably ~10C and that's a pretty BIG difference. But the Volcano 6CU is adequate if you don't do any overclocking.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

G

I believe the noise level on the Swifties are on order of nearly 50 DB. If true, it really shouldn't be that surprising given that you're using an 80 mm Delta fan going at 5000 RPM, i.e. 68 CFM. Heck when I can overclock to a stable 1750 MHz on an XP 1900+, such perceived excess noise ends up being just a trivial nuisance :)

Boondock_Saint

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2001
Considering my 1.4GHz Athlon puts out around 72 watts of heat, 40oC load is pretty damn good.

The Volcano and the Swifttech (w/the Sanyo-Denki) are about the same noise level.

:tongue: Have you ever tried cooking an egg on your HSF? Tasty. :tongue:

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
I use a Delta with an adjustable Rheostat on my MCX-462 and just turn it down
to a quiet level unless I am gaming and need the extra cooling, them just turn
it up. Example below:

<A HREF="http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/rheosformc.html" target="_new">http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/rheosformc.html</A>

<font color=blue>Remember.... You get what you pay for. :smile: All advice here is free.</font color=blue> :wink:

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
you can make yerself one of them there rheostat dial thinies...
just buy the correct rheostat, (make sure it has enough amps to cover the fan or fans you are hooking up to it)
and ten solder it into a hard drive cable extender.
pretty simple, and will give you control over the fan!
i did that to control my 120 mm fan, and unfortunately, i cannot find a rheostat with enough amps to cover the 6.7amp draw of my 120mm fan.
so i have to run it at the middle of the full turn as the lowest to prevent a fire.
and believe me, if i turn this thing all the way down, it gets HOT...
like i am scared to walk away from my computer when it is turned up that hot...
so i just leave it at half, and call it a day.

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-