new terminology

Tonight was my first time since the patch that I've done much beyond
setting up my bazaar mule, and as I was poking around I discovered a
change that I don't remember seeing mentioned in the patch message:
It seems some of the terms used in item descriptions got changed.
Instead of "NO DROP" it now says "NO TRADE", and instead of "NO RENT"
it says "TEMPORARY".

Now, I'll grant that the new terms are a bit clearer (to someone who
wasn't already familiar with the old ones, that is), but it might've
been nice if they'd mentioned it. And of course, it means all those
old screenshots on Alla, and all the old discussions in all the forums,
will now be using terms that newcomers to the game will have no chance
of understanding.

Anyway, I didn't notice any other terminology changes offhand, but if
anyone spots some, please let me know, since I'll need to update the
FAQ glossary (and probably other parts as well).

-- Don.

-- Sukrasisx, Monk 52 on E. Marr Note: If you reply by mail,
-- Terrwini, Druid 51 on E. Marr I'll get to it sooner if you
-- Teviron, Knight 13 on E. Marr
23 answers Last reply
More about terminology

    "Don Woods" <don-ns@iCynic.com> wrote in message

    > Tonight was my first time since the patch that I've done much beyond
    > setting up my bazaar mule, and as I was poking around I discovered a
    > change that I don't remember seeing mentioned in the patch message:
    > It seems some of the terms used in item descriptions got changed.
    > Instead of "NO DROP" it now says "NO TRADE", and instead of "NO RENT"
    > it says "TEMPORARY".

    These are the terms used in EQ2 and they probably represent the new SOE
    standard. LORE retains its original meaning. Does EQ1 have designations for
    NO VALUE (meaning cannot sell to a vendor) or NO DESTROY (meaning you can't
    destroy it)?

    --
    Redbeard, the Relic Keeper
    <Veritas>

    Descendant of the Elder Winterfury Thunderwolf
    <Resolution, Retired>
    Barbarian Prophet of The Tribunal
    Retired Citizen of Firiona Vie

    > Never understood why some items are marked LORE. If it's meant to be
    > > some unique item (ignoring the fact other players have it also)
    that's
    > > find but a gnoll ear? Every gnoll has two of them so why can't I
    have
    > > more then one? And why can I trade them but not put them in my
    shared
    > > bank? Doesn't make sense to me.

    > It would be unbalancing to be able to hold two Gnolls ears.....

    How? I can't think of any possible exploit or advantage I would gain.
    They are only good for one thing.

    I can sell them but not give them to an alt. Doesn't that just
    unbalance it? I haven't tried but I bet I could give it to another
    player you could in turn give it to my alt. To stop trading them SOE
    could put the NO TRADE label on. But the LORE stopping you putting it
    in the shared bank but allowing you to sell it doesn't make sense.

    >I believe the word you should be looking for here is "sarcasm"...

    Actually it did cross my mind but it also crossed my mind as being very
    unfunny if it was (IMHO of course ^_^)

    > > >These are the terms used in EQ2 and they probably represent the
    new
    <snip>
    > > more then one? And why can I trade them but not put them in my
    shared
    > > bank? Doesn't make sense to me.

    >You can put LORE items in your shared bank, but only one at a time.

    Well I can't put them in my shared bank. And I don't have a duplicate
    in the shared banks or any of my alts private banks.

    BombayMix wrote:
    > >These are the terms used in EQ2 and they probably represent the new
    > SOE
    > >standard. LORE retains its original meaning. Does EQ1 have
    > designations for
    > >NO VALUE (meaning cannot sell to a vendor) or NO DESTROY (meaning
    you
    > >can't destroy it)?
    >
    > Never understood why some items are marked LORE. If it's meant to be
    > some unique item (ignoring the fact other players have it also)
    that's
    > find but a gnoll ear? Every gnoll has two of them so why can't I have
    > more then one? And why can I trade them but not put them in my shared
    > bank? Doesn't make sense to me.

    Ostensibly, the reasons some items are marked lore include:
    -It is a unique item in the storyline; you could logically only loot
    one of these items.
    -It is something that was carried by a unique character (mob) and thus
    two could not exist.

    The real reasons are that they only want you to have one of them are
    varied. Perhaps having two would be unbalancing. Perhaps having two
    would let you exploit. Perhaps they don't want people hoarding the
    items. Perhaps they just wanted to make sure that you knew you would
    only need one drop to complete the quest. Perhaps they screwed up.
    Perhaps they wanted to insert more time sinks.

    And you can't put lore items in your shared bank? You can't put
    no-rent and no-drop stuff in there, but since when is lore excluded?

    "BombayMix" <bombaymix@altavista.co.uk> wrote in message
    > >These are the terms used in EQ2 and they probably represent the new
    <snip>
    > more then one? And why can I trade them but not put them in my shared
    > bank? Doesn't make sense to me.

    You can put LORE items in your shared bank, but only one at a time.

    Mike W.

    >> Never understood why some items are marked LORE. If it's meant to be
    >> > some unique item (ignoring the fact other players have it also)
    >> > that's find but a gnoll ear? Every gnoll has two of them so why
    >> > can't I have more then one? And why can I trade them but not put
    >> > them in my shared bank? Doesn't make sense to me.
    >
    >> It would be unbalancing to be able to hold two Gnolls ears.....
    >
    > How? I can't think of any possible exploit or advantage I would gain.
    > They are only good for one thing.
    >
    > I can sell them but not give them to an alt. Doesn't that just
    > unbalance it? I haven't tried but I bet I could give it to another
    > player you could in turn give it to my alt. To stop trading them SOE
    > could put the NO TRADE label on. But the LORE stopping you putting it
    > in the shared bank but allowing you to sell it doesn't make sense.

    You can't see how dual wielding Gnoll ears would be unbalancing?

    --
    On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

    On Steamfont in <Insanity Plea>
    Graeme, 28 Dwarven Mystic, 24 Sage, Retired
    Aviv, 15 Gnome Brawler, 30 Provisioner, Retired

    Graeme Faelban <RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote in

    In article <O47ae.1856$RX.1562@newsfe6-gui.ntli.net>,
    Lief <ask.me.for@it.com> wrote:

    >It would be unbalancing to be able to hold two Gnolls ears.....

    It seems like it would be even more balanced than one.

    Twice as balanced, in fact.

    "Graeme Faelban" <RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote in message
    > "BombayMix" <bombaymix@altavista.co.uk> wrote in
    >
    > >> Never understood why some items are marked LORE. If it's meant to be
    > >
    > >> It would be unbalancing to be able to hold two Gnolls ears.....
    > >
    > > How? I can't think of any possible exploit or advantage I would gain.
    > > They are only good for one thing.
    > >
    > > I can sell them but not give them to an alt. Doesn't that just
    > > unbalance it? I haven't tried but I bet I could give it to another
    > > player you could in turn give it to my alt. To stop trading them SOE
    > > could put the NO TRADE label on. But the LORE stopping you putting it
    > > in the shared bank but allowing you to sell it doesn't make sense.
    > >

    > You can't see how dual wielding Gnoll ears would be unbalancing?
    >
    > --
    > On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>
    > Ancient Graeme Faelban, Barbarian Soothsayer of 70 seasons
    >
    > On Steamfont in <Insanity Plea>
    > Graeme, 28 Dwarven Mystic, 24 Sage, Retired
    > Aviv, 15 Gnome Brawler, 30 Provisioner, Retired

    My brother used to go roo shooting and one night he came home with a box
    full of them. Man, that was some phat lewt!

    Beal wrote:

    > And you can't put lore items in your shared bank? You can't put
    > no-rent and no-drop stuff in there, but since when is lore excluded?

    On EQ, sure you can put lore in shared bank and switch it around. In
    fact, it doesn't even count as you holding it if it's in the shared
    bank (i.e., you can have one in the shared bank and one in your per-
    sonal inventory/bank slots at the same time.) But, IIRC, the poster
    mentioned EQ2. No clue if it's different there since I haven't played
    that.

    Tracey

    "the wharf rat" <wrat@panix.com> wrote in message
    > In article <O47ae.1856$RX.1562@newsfe6-gui.ntli.net>,
    > Lief <ask.me.for@it.com> wrote:
    > >
    > >It would be unbalancing to be able to hold two Gnolls ears.....
    >
    > It seems like it would be even more balanced than one.
    >
    > Twice as balanced, in fact.

    =p

    "Don Woods" <don-ns@iCynic.com> wrote in message
    > Tonight was my first time since the patch that I've done much beyond
    > setting up my bazaar mule, and as I was poking around I discovered a
    > change that I don't remember seeing mentioned in the patch message:
    > It seems some of the terms used in item descriptions got changed.
    > Instead of "NO DROP" it now says "NO TRADE", and instead of "NO RENT"
    > it says "TEMPORARY".
    >
    > Now, I'll grant that the new terms are a bit clearer (to someone who
    > wasn't already familiar with the old ones, that is), but it might've
    > been nice if they'd mentioned it. And of course, it means all those
    > old screenshots on Alla, and all the old discussions in all the forums,
    > will now be using terms that newcomers to the game will have no chance
    > of understanding.
    >
    > Anyway, I didn't notice any other terminology changes offhand, but if
    > anyone spots some, please let me know, since I'll need to update the
    > FAQ glossary (and probably other parts as well).
    >
    > -- Don.

    > -- See the a.g.e/EQ1 FAQ at http://www.iCynic.com/~don/EQ/age.faq.htm
    > --
    > -- Sukrasisx, Monk 52 on E. Marr Note: If you reply by mail,
    > -- Terrwini, Druid 51 on E. Marr I'll get to it sooner if you
    > -- Wizbeau, Wizard 36 on E. Marr remove the "hyphen n s"
    > -- Teviron, Knight 13 on E. Marr

    I seem to be seeing MAGIC ITEM in some unusual places since the patch.

    Tracey <rbrancher2@aol.com> writes:
    > Beal wrote:
    >
    > > And you can't put lore items in your shared bank? You can't put
    > > no-rent and no-drop stuff in there, but since when is lore excluded?
    >
    > On EQ, sure you can put lore in shared bank and switch it around. In
    > fact, it doesn't even count as you holding it if it's in the shared
    > bank (i.e., you can have one in the shared bank and one in your per-
    > sonal inventory/bank slots at the same time.) But, IIRC, the poster
    > mentioned EQ2. No clue if it's different there since I haven't played
    > that.

    Actually, I was the original poster and I didn't mention which EQ
    I was talking about (my bad). But the person who griped about not
    being able to put LORE in the shared bank was replying to someone
    who had brought up EQ2 (as apparently EQ2 was already using the
    terms that I spotted as new in EQLive).

    Anyway, I have no idea how it works in EQ2, but in EQLive you CAN
    put LORE items in the shared bank. I do it all the time, especially
    with my bazaar mule. (If I have a Lore item for sale and acquire
    another, I can put the one in the shared bank. I can even then take
    it out and store it in another character's bank in order to make room
    to hold a third, etc.)

    As for why there are Lore items at all, as others have said, there
    are many reasons. In some cases it's because having more than one
    could be unbalancing. E.g., the Rallic Pack (a weight-reducing bag),
    you're only allowed one per character. If you want other WR bags
    you have to find other types. In some cases it's to make it harder
    to do the same quest repeatedly. E.g., talk to NPC X and get an item,
    take item to NPC Y to get the reward. Making the item Lore means you
    can't just say the trigger phrase to X over and over and then take 100
    copies of the item to NPC Y. Similarly, making a quest item Lore
    makes it harder to set up a bazaar mule with a large supply of them,
    so people are more likely to go do the quest themselves instead of
    buying the pieces. (The pieces could be made No Trade instead, but
    that has other ramifications.)

    "Bob Perez" <myfirstname@thecomdomaincalledSHADOWPIKE> writes:
    > These are the terms used in EQ2 and they probably represent the new SOE
    > standard. LORE retains its original meaning. Does EQ1 have designations for
    > NO VALUE (meaning cannot sell to a vendor) or NO DESTROY (meaning you can't
    > destroy it)?

    Interesting. EQ1 has not previously had any indication of NO VALUE
    other than that the merchant refuses to offer you anything for it.
    TEMPORARY (formerly NO RENT) items are always unsellable, of course,
    as are NO TRADE (i.e. NO DROP) items. I'll have to see if I have
    any items that aren't temporary or no-trade, yet cannot be sold, and
    see if they've added any designator to that effect in EQ1.

    Don Woods <don-ns@iCynic.com> writes:
    > Interesting. EQ1 has not previously had any indication of NO VALUE
    > other than that the merchant refuses to offer you anything for it.
    > TEMPORARY (formerly NO RENT) items are always unsellable, of course,
    > as are NO TRADE (i.e. NO DROP) items. I'll have to see if I have
    > any items that aren't temporary or no-trade, yet cannot be sold, and
    > see if they've added any designator to that effect in EQ1.

    I checked this tonight; no, they didn't add NO TRADE to item descriptions
    in EQ1.

    -- Don.

    -- Sukrasisx, Monk 52 on E. Marr Note: If you reply by mail,
    -- Terrwini, Druid 51 on E. Marr I'll get to it sooner if you
    -- Teviron, Knight 13 on E. Marr

    Don Woods <don-ns@iCynic.com> wrote:
    ] I checked this tonight; no, they didn't add NO TRADE to item descriptions
    ] in EQ1.

    I ply EQ1, and some of my items are now no trade. So maybe not all
    nodrops became notrade.

    Jim.
    --
    http://www.linuxgazette.net/ Linux Gazette
    http://dice.drivein-jim.net/ my dice collection Feb 10, 2005

    D.J. <jolly73@boingcableone.net> writes:
    > Don Woods <don-ns@iCynic.com> wrote:
    > ] I checked this tonight; no, they didn't add NO TRADE to item descriptions
    > ] in EQ1.
    >
    > I ply EQ1, and some of my items are now no trade. So maybe not all
    > nodrops became notrade.

    Whoops, sorry, typo. I meant to say they did not add "NO VALUE" as
    an indication you can't sell to a merchant. They DID definitely
    change "no drop" to be "no trade" in all cases.

    Oh, and I've never heard of an item in EQ1 being "no destroy".

    -- Don.

    -- Sukrasisx, Monk 52 on E. Marr Note: If you reply by mail,
    -- Terrwini, Druid 51 on E. Marr I'll get to it sooner if you
    -- Teviron, Knight 13 on E. Marr

    >As for why there are Lore items at all, as others have said, there
    >are many reasons. In some cases it's because having more than one
    >could be unbalancing. E.g., the Rallic Pack (a weight-reducing bag),
    >you're only allowed one per character. If you want other WR bags
    >you have to find other types. In some cases it's to make it harder
    >to do the same quest repeatedly. E.g., talk to NPC X and get an item,

    >take item to NPC Y to get the reward. Making the item Lore means you
    >can't just say the trigger phrase to X over and over and then take 100

    >copies of the item to NPC Y. Similarly, making a quest item Lore
    >makes it harder to set up a bazaar mule with a large supply of them,
    >so people are more likely to go do the quest themselves instead of
    >buying the pieces. (The pieces could be made No Trade instead, but
    >that has other ramifications.)

    I can understand why some items are marked as LORE but my point was
    specify aimed at the body parts you need to collect for mastery quests.
    For example, I was working the low level skeletons in Forest Ruins for
    get the skeleton mastery items. I couldn't for the life of me find
    the skeleton core, so I want to the nearest brooker and bought it. So
    what has the LORE tag achieved? It didn't force me to complete the
    quest. I stopped me from using an item an alt had. You could argue the
    latter stops me collecting them and PL up but the fact you can trade
    them nullifies that argument.

    I am equally baffled as why the language quest items are marked as
    LORE. You need multiply of theses to complete the quest, so what's
    the point in restricting me to carrying one at a time? It would be much
    better if I could collect the complete set and use them all at once,
    like collections and the aforementioned mastery items.

    I can understand SOE not wanting people to trade them, since again you
    could PL up alts, but the NO TRADE label on them achieves that. So,
    what does the LORE tag actually achieve? And don't say its
    unbalancing the point is why is unbalancing for me to have carry
    multiple copies of an item I need multiple copies of!!

    "BombayMix" <bombaymix@altavista.co.uk> wrote:
    ] I can understand why some items are marked as LORE but my point was
    ] specify aimed at the body parts you need to collect for mastery quests.

    The Lore Item thing is very dumb. In the glooming deep mines rat
    feet can be stacked. But the rat feet outside qeynos and west
    freeport are lore items.

    ] quest. I stopped me from using an item an alt had. You could argue the
    ] latter stops me collecting them and PL up but the fact you can trade
    ] them nullifies that argument.

    I have had that exact same difficulty.

    JimP.
    --
    http://www.linuxgazette.net/ Linux Gazette
    http://dice.drivein-jim.net/ my dice collection Feb 10, 2005
    http://www.drivein-jim.net/ Apr 19, 2005: Drive-In movie theatres
    http://poetry.drivein-jim.net/ poetry blog March 12, 2005

    Don Woods <don-ns@iCynic.com> wrote:
    ] Whoops, sorry, typo. I meant to say they did not add "NO VALUE" as
    ] an indication you can't sell to a merchant. They DID definitely
    ] change "no drop" to be "no trade" in all cases.

    Well, the itemsare notrade, but when I tried ( just to see what the
    screen would say) to put one in the shared bank, it said no rent
    items cannot be put in the shared bank.

    ] Oh, and I've never heard of an item in EQ1 being "no destroy".

    Neither have I. But then I have been playing for only a year.

    JimP.
    --
    http://www.linuxgazette.net/ Linux Gazette
    http://dice.drivein-jim.net/ my dice collection Feb 10, 2005