Capture Cards / PVR's

firstheadstrong

Honorable
Jun 13, 2012
Hey guys,
I am looking to get a capture card (external or internal) for no more than $200-$220 (including all needed cables and devices). This device will be recording and streaming gameplay from the xbox 360 console (mainly FPS's like COD and sports games like Madden). I was hoiping to ask a couple of questions.

I am looking at a couple of different products.

1)
First the: Hauppauge 1445 HD PVR (Amazon Prime - $189.00)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005P5UMVM/ref=s9_simh_gw_p147_d0_g147_i2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=17TGKKHJNKS9YWT9J430&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

I think I prefer an external device, so that is a great benefit. Most of the reviews are good. However, it does is only component or less.

My question is - is there a way to still "play" in HDMI while recording using component?

My logic: I still want to plug my HDMI cable from the xbox directly to the TV and then also plug the component from the xbox to the Hauppauge device and then the device to my CPU (via usb).

I have already done teh component "hack", where you remove the casing from the component cable to allow both cables to be plugged in at the same time. (It works as my Turtle Beach works flawlessly because of this). So, I know both cables can be plugged into the 360 at the same time.

As I stated my turle beach works using this method, but would the video work to do the same with the PVR? If this method would work, I would buy this model. If it wouldn't would there be another way to play with HDMI and have component go to the PVR (like a dongle or splitter or something)? My goal is to be able to record at 720p, 1080i, or less, but sitll play in 1080P. I don't have desire to also record in 1080p.

2) If it's not possible to save playing quality with the Hauppage, I am looking at a few other "devices".

Next on the list is an internal capture card:
Avertv HD DVR High Definition / Analog Video Capture Card PCIe MTVHDDVRR
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002SQE1O0/ref=s9_simh_gw_p147_d0_g147_i2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1FNCPQ7NPDNVEK96THS7&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

My system specs (recently home built):
MOBO: Gigabyte Intel H77 LGA 1155 AMD CrossFireX DVI/HDMI Dual UEFI BIOS ATX Motherboard GA-H77-DS3H

PSU: Corsair Enthusiast Series 650-Watt 80 Plus Bronze Certified Power Supply Compatible with Intel Core i3, i5, i7 and AMD platforms - CMPSU-650TXV2

RAM: Corsair Vengeance Blue 8 GB (2X4 GB) PC3-12800 1600mHz DDR3 240-Pin SDRAM Dual Channel Memory Kit CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B

CPU: Intel Core i5 3450 Processor 3.1 4 BX80637I53450

GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 GHZ OC 2 GB DDR5 HDMI/DVI-I/Dual Mini DP PCI-Express Graphics Card 11199-03-20G

Optical: Lite-On LightScribe 24X SATA DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Drive IHAS424-98 - Retail (Black)

HDD: Samsung Desktop Class Spinpoint F3 1 TB SATA 3.0 Gb-s 32 MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare-OEM Drives, HD103SJ

Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Will get gettign an SSD (120 or 256) just following slickdeals for the right one as prices are plummeting

My first question, would this card be compatable for my device (will I have a free port)?

I would also need an HDMI splitter, correct to still play on my TV? Would this introduce any delay/lag/or quality loss to gameplay?

Ideally with would be $90 for card + $30 for splitter for $120 total (saving $80+), but it does have some mixed reviews and I do not want to introduce any input delay or if my rig is compatable.

Also I've read a lot of HDMI recording has encryption. Does an oldish elite (60GB) have this encryption making HDMI recording impossible?

3)
Backmagic Intensit Shuttle (BMI-S). This indicates that is has very high CPU requirements (would my CPU be compatable?)

Also mixed reviews. Same concerns as above.

Sorry for the wall of text - thanks for any input!

o_tipper_x

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2012
I will be able to answer most of these questions.

Your first option will not work. You can not send video out both HDMI and Component at the same time. But most cap cards max out at 1080i or 720p. In my opinion 720p is better than 1080i.

The new Aver Media HD will allow you do record and stream in 1080p. I do not know if your computer will handle that, as I have never used one. You may want to check their website for recommended specs.

Your computer should be able to hand the BMI-S. I have the BMIP, but I also have a very good computer. Again with the BMI-S the max capture will be 720p, but the quality is still amazing.

Something else to keep in mind is that your computer will be able to run any of those cards easily just as a capture device. Streaming is a much bigger strain on your PC.

And finally before you spend all that money on a capture device with dreams of streaming, make sure you have the required internet speeds. Go download xsplit and do a test to their severs, it will make a huge difference in weather your stream will be watch able or not.

I stream almost nightly. If you would like to check out my twitch here is the link. www.twitch.tv/otipperx it is a bunch of competitive CoD play.