Unlock

Last response: in Network Providers
March 7, 2005 1:55:12 AM

Does anyone know how to by-pass the locking feature on a verizon cell? I
liked to catch my cheating mate only she has a lock on her cell phone, or
does anyone know how to intecept her text messages?

Thanks

More about : unlock

Anonymous
March 7, 2005 3:14:42 AM

In article <CtidncjyNYJWQbbfRVn-3w@comcast.com>,
"mlc30" <mlc30@comcast.net> wrote:

> Does anyone know how to by-pass the locking feature on a verizon
> cell? I liked to catch my cheating mate only she has a lock on her
> cell phone,

Steal her phone, and try various combinations;if you're very lucky,
you'll get it the first time, but if you're very unlucky, you'll get it
the 10,000th try. You could narrow it down by first trying the last
four digits of her social security number, birth day and month or birth
month or year, or other dates or numbers that are significant to her.

Of course, you could go to jail for stealing the phone.

> or does anyone know how to intecept her text messages?

Yeah, bypass her locking code and read them. See the above note about
jail.

March 7, 2005 10:52:47 AM

What kind of phone, and how long do you have access to the phone for...
Oftentimes the PIN will be in the NAM programming menu. SOME phones
allow you to get into the NAM even when the phone is locked.

Otherwise, it may require you to be a little more sophisticated about
the approach. I once had a t608 locked with a PIN. Those require the
MSL to get into the NAM, which only sprint has (or can be extracted
with a data cable). The problem is, the PIN lock also locks out most
of the commands that the phone will respond to, so you cannot access
the file with the MSL stored in it. Fortunately, I had a copy of the
ericsson specs for the phone, so I wrote a quick little program that
tried every single combination, and I had the pin within 40 minutes.

-Tom

PS. Some personal advice... your approach to this problem is
completely wrong, and can ONLY blow up in your face.
March 9, 2005 5:26:13 AM

if its a vzw phone and she never change her password from the time she
get the phone try the last 4 #s of her cell phone or dial *228 and pick
1 it will reset the password to the last 4 #s of her cell phone
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 12:30:08 AM

You can't dial *228 without first unlocking the phone . . .

-Tom
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 12:35:19 AM

Tom Zielinski wrote:
> You can't dial *228 without first unlocking the phone . .

Is that true? I always assumed that you could dial and
get the prompt but that the programming or PRL
download would fail.

-Quick
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 6:40:27 AM

yes you can.
"Tom Zielinski" <junk@oddbite.com> wrote in message
> You can't dial *228 without first unlocking the phone . . .
>
> -Tom

Anonymous
March 10, 2005 9:47:19 AM

The phonelock on the phones i've seen says something like "Please enter
PIN", and won't let you do anything (other than dial an emergency
number) until you do.

You may be thinking of a provider lock. In that case, dialing *228
would still work if it was originally a verizon phone, and you haven't
somehow changed the MSL (not something the ordinary user is apt to do).
Otherwise dialing *228 would bring you to your carriers activation
prompt.
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 12:11:28 PM

Tom Zielinski wrote:
> The phonelock on the phones i've seen says something like
> "Please enter PIN", and won't let you do anything (other
> than dial an emergency number) until you do.
>
> You may be thinking of a provider lock. In that case,
> dialing *228 would still work if it was originally a
> verizon phone, and you haven't somehow changed the MSL
> (not something the ordinary user is apt to do).
> Otherwise dialing *228 would bring you to your carriers
> activation prompt.

Ahhh, you are referring to the user "lock" or password.
When people refer to a "locked" phone here it is almost
always a phone that is locked to/by a carrier. A subsidy
lock using the MSL/programming password. It is this
password that must be set to "000000" for VZW over
the air programming to work. You can still dial *228
and get the VZW lady but after making a selection
(1 or 2) the subsequent programming/download will
fail.

-Quick
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 11:45:33 PM

> Ahhh, you are referring to the user "lock" or password.
> When people refer to a "locked" phone here it is almost
> always a phone that is locked to/by a carrier. A subsidy
> lock using the MSL/programming password. It is this
> password that must be set to "000000" for VZW over
> the air programming to work. You can still dial *228
> and get the VZW lady but after making a selection
> (1 or 2) the subsequent programming/download will
> fail.
>
> -Quick

As I'm primarily a GSM user now...is there an easy way to change the MSL
from, for example, 123456 to 000000 on a CDMA phone?

TH
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 11:45:34 PM

Tropical Haven wrote:
>> Ahhh, you are referring to the user "lock" or password.
>> When people refer to a "locked" phone here it is almost
>> always a phone that is locked to/by a carrier. A subsidy
>> lock using the MSL/programming password. It is this
>> password that must be set to "000000" for VZW over
>> the air programming to work. You can still dial *228
>> and get the VZW lady but after making a selection
>> (1 or 2) the subsequent programming/download will
>> fail.
>>
>> -Quick
>
> As I'm primarily a GSM user now...is there an easy way to
> change the MSL from, for example, 123456 to 000000 on a
> CDMA phone?

Yes. The trick is that you have to know the current MSL to
change it to something else.

-Quick
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 5:08:35 AM

>>As I'm primarily a GSM user now...is there an easy way to
>>change the MSL from, for example, 123456 to 000000 on a
>>CDMA phone?
>

> Yes. The trick is that you have to know the current MSL to
> change it to something else.
>
> -Quick

Okay, that doesn't sound so bad. I have an old Audiovox CDM9155 that
was locked to Cellular One (Western Wireless) and I have it to my
brother to use with SaskTel Mobility in Canada. They were more than
happy to switch the ESN for him, but they can't updeate the PRL because
of the MSL. They're probably not accustomed to changing MSLs.

TH
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 5:09:11 AM

>>As I'm primarily a GSM user now...is there an easy way to
>>change the MSL from, for example, 123456 to 000000 on a
>>CDMA phone?
>

> Yes. The trick is that you have to know the current MSL to
> change it to something else.
>
> -Quick

Oh...I'll add that we have the MSL. I even engraved it on the phone so
it wouldn't get lost.

TH
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 5:09:12 AM

Tropical Haven wrote:
>>> As I'm primarily a GSM user now...is there an easy way
>>> to change the MSL from, for example, 123456 to 000000
>>> on a CDMA phone?
>>

>> Yes. The trick is that you have to know the current MSL
>> to change it to something else.
>>
>> -Quick
>
> Oh...I'll add that we have the MSL. I even engraved it
> on the phone so it wouldn't get lost.

Every phone is different on how you get to the "programming"
menu. At some point (sometimes right away) you will get
asked for the password. Once you enter it there will be an
option somewhere past that to change it. About the only
thing of interest that you can't change is the ESN.

-Quick
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 10:16:55 AM

> Every phone is different on how you get to the "programming"
> menu. At some point (sometimes right away) you will get
> asked for the password. Once you enter it there will be an
> option somewhere past that to change it. About the only
> thing of interest that you can't change is the ESN.
>
> -Quick

I know with a data cable that's possible (not legal, but possible). I
was testing some GSM unlocking software once and found it's not
difficult to change the IMEI of the phone. I would imagine it's almost
as easy to change the ESN of the phone on CDMA versions.

TH
March 12, 2005 4:52:11 AM

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 09:11:28 -0800, "Quick"
<quick7135-news@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:

>Ahhh, you are referring to the user "lock" or password.
>When people refer to a "locked" phone here it is almost
>always a phone that is locked to/by a carrier. A subsidy
>lock using the MSL/programming password. It is this
>password that must be set to "000000" for VZW over
>the air programming to work.

Incorrect. But if the subsidy lock is all zeros, *228 option 1 will
work on that phone as it is considered unlocked.
March 12, 2005 4:56:38 AM

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 07:16:55 GMT, Tropical Haven <user@example.net>
wrote:

>> Every phone is different on how you get to the "programming"
>> menu. At some point (sometimes right away) you will get
>> asked for the password. Once you enter it there will be an
>> option somewhere past that to change it. About the only
>> thing of interest that you can't change is the ESN.
>>
>> -Quick
>
>I know with a data cable that's possible (not legal, but possible). I
>was testing some GSM unlocking software once and found it's not
>difficult to change the IMEI of the phone. I would imagine it's almost
>as easy to change the ESN of the phone on CDMA versions.

No... the only way to change the ESN of a CDMA phone is to make an
internal hardware change. It is entirely different from the GSM
implementation.
Anonymous
March 12, 2005 4:30:05 PM

bill@microsoft.com wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 09:11:28 -0800, "Quick"
> <quick7135-news@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:
>

>> Ahhh, you are referring to the user "lock" or password.
>> When people refer to a "locked" phone here it is almost
>> always a phone that is locked to/by a carrier. A subsidy
>> lock using the MSL/programming password. It is this
>> password that must be set to "000000" for VZW over
>> the air programming to work.
>>

> Incorrect. But if the subsidy lock is all zeros, *228
> option 1 will work on that phone as it is considered
> unlocked.

What part is incorrect?
I always forget all the "locks".

Dont' know if it differs from phone to phone either.
My understanding is that there is:

1) user password
This is the password used to lock the keyboard,
disabling dialing (except for 911 or possibly the
"emergency" speed dial key).

2) Programming password (is this called the MSL?).
Usually a "hidden" menu that requires a password to
enter or contains selections/areas that require a password.
Usually you find the field test/debug screens here and
can do the "system" programming -- NAM information,
enable/disable features, SID/NID lists, etc.

3)?? is there a third one? Is there a separate password/
lock for a "subsidy lock"? I've only encountered 1) & 2)
above and 2) has to be set to "000000" for VZW OTA
to work (either selection 1 or 2).

I suspect there are variations on the above or it's not
exactly correct?

-Quick
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 5:12:37 AM

Quick wrote:
> bill@microsoft.com wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 09:11:28 -0800, "Quick"
>><quick7135-news@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Ahhh, you are referring to the user "lock" or password.
>>>When people refer to a "locked" phone here it is almost
>>>always a phone that is locked to/by a carrier. A subsidy
>>>lock using the MSL/programming password. It is this
>>>password that must be set to "000000" for VZW over
>>>the air programming to work.
>>
>>Incorrect. But if the subsidy lock is all zeros, *228
>>option 1 will work on that phone as it is considered
>>unlocked.
>
> What part is incorrect?
> I always forget all the "locks".
>
> Dont' know if it differs from phone to phone either.
> My understanding is that there is:
>
> 1) user password
> This is the password used to lock the keyboard,
> disabling dialing (except for 911 or possibly the
> "emergency" speed dial key).
>
> 2) Programming password (is this called the MSL?).
> Usually a "hidden" menu that requires a password to
> enter or contains selections/areas that require a password.
> Usually you find the field test/debug screens here and
> can do the "system" programming -- NAM information,
> enable/disable features, SID/NID lists, etc.
>
> 3)?? is there a third one? Is there a separate password/
> lock for a "subsidy lock"? I've only encountered 1) & 2)
> above and 2) has to be set to "000000" for VZW OTA
> to work (either selection 1 or 2).

For CDMA phones, anyway, there is:

1) The 3 or 4 digit unlock code. This is set by the user. You can set
the phone so that when it powers on, you have to enter this unlock code
to do anything other than dial 911.

2) The 6-digit security code. Used for certain functions, such as
changing the unlock code or changing dialing restrictions (e.g., dial
only from the phone book). This is also set by the user. The software
update tools can clear this lock.

3) The 6-digit subsidy lock ("MSL"). This is the programming lock, and
is set by the provider. This is what, for example, SprintPCS sets to
keep you from being able to use their phones on VZW. All zeros means no
lock. *228 only works if unlocked. I believe that standard tools cannot
clear this, and it can be cleared only by major hacking (or
social-engineering the number out of the provider who set the lock). The
MSL is a random number, not related to the ESN or anything else. This is
unlike the SIM-locks on GSM phones (which restrict the phone to accept
SIM cards only from a given provider), for which unlock tools are an
open secret, with the SIM-lock codes being generated in well-known ways
from the IMEI (phone serial number).
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 5:12:38 AM

CharlesH wrote:
> Quick wrote:
>> bill@microsoft.com wrote:

>>> Incorrect. But if the subsidy lock is all zeros, *228
>>> option 1 will work on that phone as it is considered
>>> unlocked.
>>
>> What part is incorrect?
>> I always forget all the "locks".
>>
>> Dont' know if it differs from phone to phone either.
>> My understanding is that there is:
>>
>> 1) user password
>> This is the password used to lock the keyboard,
>> disabling dialing (except for 911 or possibly the
>> "emergency" speed dial key).
>>
>> 2) Programming password (is this called the MSL?).
>> Usually a "hidden" menu that requires a password to
>> enter or contains selections/areas that require a
>> password. Usually you find the field test/debug screens
>> here and
>> can do the "system" programming -- NAM information,
>> enable/disable features, SID/NID lists, etc.
>>
>> 3)?? is there a third one? Is there a separate password/
>> lock for a "subsidy lock"? I've only encountered 1) & 2)
>> above and 2) has to be set to "000000" for VZW OTA
>> to work (either selection 1 or 2).
>
> For CDMA phones, anyway, there is:
>
> 1) The 3 or 4 digit unlock code. This is set by the user.
> You can set the phone so that when it powers on, you have
> to enter this unlock code to do anything other than dial
> 911.
>
> 2) The 6-digit security code. Used for certain functions,
> such as changing the unlock code or changing dialing
> restrictions (e.g., dial only from the phone book). This
> is also set by the user. The software update tools can
> clear this lock.
>
> 3) The 6-digit subsidy lock ("MSL"). This is the
> programming lock, and is set by the provider. This is
> what, for example, SprintPCS sets to keep you from being
> able to use their phones on VZW. All zeros means no lock.
> *228 only works if unlocked. I believe that standard
> tools cannot clear this, and it can be cleared only by
> major hacking (or social-engineering the number out of
> the provider who set the lock). The MSL is a random
> number, not related to the ESN or anything else. This is
> unlike the SIM-locks on GSM phones (which restrict the
> phone to accept SIM cards only from a given provider),
> for which unlock tools are an open secret, with the
> SIM-lock codes being generated in well-known ways from
> the IMEI (phone serial number).

Ok. I always lump 1) and 2) together... (and never use them).
thanks,
-Quick
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 5:12:39 AM

Quick wrote:
> Ok. I always lump 1) and 2) together... (and never use them).
> thanks,

1) and 3) exist on all phones. 2) is manufacturer-dependent. 2) exists on Nokia
phones for sure; not sure which other brands have the separate security code.

--New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 10:18:54 AM

>> Ok. I always lump 1) and 2) together... (and never use them).
>> thanks,
>
> 1) and 3) exist on all phones. 2) is manufacturer-dependent. 2) exists
> on Nokia phones for sure; not sure which other brands have the separate
> security code.

I had an Audiovox CDMA phone that had that, because I remember setting
it. I don't ever remember using it though.

TH
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 2:07:49 PM

Thanks but stil don't know how to bypass her unlock for option 1 (Keyboard)
I'm sure the PW was set by her however I want to read text mesages see pics,
etc.

Thanks

!