badmojo

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
I just applied some thermal grease on my 1700 XP and then as I attached it I smeared some onto the actual chip! I also used a little too much and it spilled over on all sides! I really messed up and I am wondering how I can actually fix this or it doesnt matter and it should be fine. Thanks in advance.

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
Wipe it off with a soft, lint free cloth then use alcohol to clean off rest. Have you been to the Artic Silver site to see the instructions?

<A HREF="http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm" target="_new">http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm</A>

<font color=blue>Remember.... You get what you pay for. :smile: All advice here is free.</font color=blue> :wink:

badmojo

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
I see that everyone says use nail polish remover and isopropyl alcohol, or alcohol. What is the best and where can I find it. What is isopropyl, can I buy it at the drug store? I know it sounds like a dumb question but please help I don't like the mess on the cpu or kernal. Now can I use the alcohol on the cpu and kernal?

Thanks!

badmojo

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
Also can I use a Q-Tip, cloth, toliet paper, paper towel, or shirt sleeve :) to apply and wipe off the extra grease.

Thanks Again and Again.

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
Nail polish remover has acetone in it and will clean off the grease but you should then clean it again with Isopropyl/alcohol.
Use very sparingly and allow to dry thoroughly before reassembling.

<font color=blue>Remember.... You get what you pay for. :smile: All advice here is free.</font color=blue> :wink:

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
re: "Also can I use a Q-Tip, cloth, toliet paper, paper towel, or shirt sleeve to apply and wipe off the extra grease."

Q-tip or cotton shirt. Yes.

badmojo

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
One more question.

Before I start I am planning to use Nail Polish Remove to remove the excess grease with a Q-Tip. After I use that I will use Isopropyl/alcohol and go over what I just did. Then reattach the heatsink and it is all neat and tidy. Or should I remove all the grease and start over.

Last but not least where can I find Isopropyl/alcohol. Can I find it in the drug store? Or is it in something else such as a cleaner.

Thanks again for all your help. This time I wont use too much grease and I will be careful with it.

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
yeah, ummm......i think pretty much anything that will leave behind lint is not a good thing to be using on thermal interface material..
you can use a qtip if you are cleaning, but make sure that it doesnt leave any cotton strands behind, and then go over it with alchohol to make sure that there is nothing on the chip.
also, you dont want to use anything that might have any oils in it..like a shirt that is dirty....you know what i mean? AHYUK!
also, you dont want to touch the core of the cpu, or the base of the heatsink, because the oils in your skin will contaminate the contacts, and ruin the whole purpose of installing the heatsink with thermal grease...
but yeah, like old bear said, qtip or coton shirt...

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
ok, i would start from scratch...
i mean, you can probably do it the way you are thinking, with no real problems, but you can un knowingly contaminate the grease with the alchohol, and ruin its ability to transfer the heat effectively.
also, you can get the isopropyl alchohol at the drug store, at the grocery store, basically at a whole bunch of types of stores..
pretty common stuff...
and yeah, visit arctic silvers site, and read up on the instructions they have.
sure, you might not be using their product, but it will work just the same. <A HREF="http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_alumina_instructions.htm" target="_new">http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_alumina_instructions.htm</A>
pretty good instructions...and they have pictures too!
fer those uf us who kant reed...AHYUK!

-DAvid

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
have you seen these things...check this out...
<A HREF="http://www.dynaflex-intl.com/" target="_new">http://www.dynaflex-intl.com/</A>
i have something like one of those that was bought at big5, but it is called the "gyro exerciser"..and it is red and blue....and made in the usa....
these things are awesome...they move faster as you move them...
wow..that was off topic!...but then again, AHYUK!
hehehehe
but seriously now, AHYUK!

-DAvid

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
I might check that out! I threw my arm out when I was a pitcher and now the only time it bothers me
is when I play a lot of golf. Thanks.

badmojo

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
Just wanted to say thanks for all the help. I am getting some Arctic Silver 2 tomorrow and I am getting a cleaning kit and some of that crazy alcohol. So I will clean and redo it again. One other thing is my computer in danger because there is some paste on the CPU and it has been running? or is it just going to effect the heat.

If its just on the parts surrounding the die, it'll just sit there and maybe contribute to higher temps, but not enough to worry about, unless its very hot already.

If the paste is down in among the pins.....take it to a carwash. :smile:

<b><font color=blue>~scribble~</font color=blue></b> :wink: <A HREF="http://www.ud.com/home.htm" target="_new">Help cure cancer.</A>

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
yeah, you wont have any problem, it is just a nuisance to clean it off once the computer has been in use for a while...
and when reapplying thermal grease, the best way is to clean it off first, then apply...and since i would rather have that be not that time consuming, then i usually keep the thermal grease on the top surface of the core.
yeah, that crazy alchohol is pretty good stuff because it wont leave any residue on the core...it will leave it perfectly clean...
think about this, the doctor will use the same alchohol to clean your arm before he gives you an injection...so if it is good enough for a hospital, then it should be more than adequate for a computer..right?
oh yeah, oldbear....that is pretty crazy...i was just posting something that i thought was random...i mean, i got this thing, and it is cool, and actually does work your arm, but hey, if it will help your arm, then i guess it is not so random.....AHYUK!
:smile:

-DAvid

badmojo

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
Thanks, I bought the alcohol and some arctic silver compound. At the store the guy sold me some other junk to remove I used it and it worked and then I used the alcohol to clean up the rest, LEFT abit around the kernal I couldn't get it off hope that is coolWHAT DO YOU THINK?). Applied the new arctic silver and here I am on that very computer. Thanks for the help. BTW I looked at arctic silvers web site and jeez I wish mine looked that clean heh. Running an XP 1700 at 52 now not 57. So thanks, now time to adds some fans to help cool it down.

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
52?
what heatsink do you have? and what motherboard?
i mean, apparently there was a drop in temps...which is good...
and a little around the core is ok, it shouldnt hurt anything.
my computer, running with normal thermal grease (the cheap white stuff that came with my heatsink) runs at like 45*C max....the highest i have ever seen it go was 48*C, but that was with toast running for hours, and my fan off...not the one on the heatsink...my case fan...

i am probably going to pick up some arctic silver and do like you...see how far down my temps can actually go!
hehe
right now it is at 38*C....
i love my volcano6cu...it keeps my athlon nice n cool!

-DAvid

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
lernin' is good....ahyuk!
man, i cant tell you how much stuff i have learned from this site...and how many times my a$$ has been saved by someone here...
and now, since i have absorbed all this knowledge, i am spreading it...i think that everyone does that...and now since he has absorbed some knowledge, he can do like you said, old bear, help the next guy! :smile:
you gotta love the simplicity and intricacy of this site...
but then again...AHYUK! :smile:

-DAvid

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
Yep. Just wish the personal attacks would slow down. I wonder how many people have
visited here needing help, seen the flaming and left?

Sad. :frown:

badmojo

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
I have a Themalright SK-6 Copper Heatsink and a TT CPU FAN. That is all, I am going to add a fan to the front bottom and one of those drive bay fans in the middle. Hopefully this will blow are through and cool it down. My CPU drops down to 45 when I remove my PS. It is so close to the cpu. Maybe I will mod my case to have the power supply outside of it at the back. I think I saw that done somewhere. Anyways the Arctic Silver II is supposed to be the best out there for grease so try it and good luck. I think my total difference is now only 4 degrees less now. Running at 53 instead of 57. Highest temp so far is 61 before I changed it, I had a high of 72 running the same game.

Good luck with yours, hopefully you will do a better job at it then I did, heh. It was a pain in the but to do! heh

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
those are some really high temperatures..
what is your ambient temp?
yeah, i hope mine goes easily...though it SHOULD go easy...SHOULD is the key word there..hehe..
and a 4 degree drop in temp is good...REAL good...i mean people have said that they are getting a 2 degree drop when changing to arctic silver..
oh yeah, you do know that arctic silver takes like 24hrs to reach maximum thermal efficiency?
the same goes for thermal pads, and regular grease, but the grease will reach its max MUCH sooner...
thermal pads will almost insulate before they are "burned in"
maybe i will go get some as2 tomorrow...
if it is not raining...
damn rain.

-DAvid