Temperature for 1.4ghz AMD athlon

G

I waas wondering what a good Temperature for a 1.4 ghz AMD Athlon is . Mine is pretty high at the moment , at like 125 F . I was wondering what it should be around, what it shouldnt be around , and everything like that.

Can someone help me? Thanks

That's about 52C. Quite hot, but not extreme. Actually the max temp is 95C, but anything over 60 is getting pretty bad.

Try to get it to between 35C and 45C.

<b><font color=blue>~scribble~</font color=blue></b> :wink: <A HREF="http://www.ud.com/home.htm" target="_new">Help cure cancer.</A>

Boondock_Saint

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2001
35oC on a 1.4GHz Athlon is next to impossible without watercooling, a Switftech MCX or MC HSF, or the Alpha PAL8045.

:tongue: Have you ever tried cooking an egg on your HSF? Tasty. :tongue:

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
apparently not, in a cool room, and with some good case circulation..but then again, that is when it is idle...and an athlonxp.....
heh.

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I've got a 1.0ghz Tbird running at 1.5ghz (150*10, 1.87 volts). It's been running seti@home (command-line version) for 7 hours at 41 degrees max. Using Toast, burn-in program, I'm seeing 44 degree peaks.

There are coolers that do better but the great thing is I'm using a $4.50 cooler. (OK it was a $4.50 cooler but I upgraded it with a 38CFM Delta fan). The cooler I'm using is a Galaxy GC21 which I picked up at <A HREF="http://www.nexfan.com" target="_new">http://www.nexfan.com</A> as sort of a backup up cooler. (The $4.50 is a promotional price. Normal price $15.00). I chose it because it has a rare clip which uses all six tabs on the socket instead of just two. The GC21 heatsink is identical to a Volcano 5 unit (except for the clip) and has Galaxy's own 27 CFM fan by default. That fan works well but the Delta ... In factory trim the GC21 is about 5 degrees warmer.

I recommend this cooler for anyone that is worried about breaking one the tabs on their CPU socket with their present cooler. Add a Delta fan for some pretty good overclocking.

My System

Epox EP-8KTA3PRO
Tbird AYHJAR-Y, 1.0 @ 1.5ghz, 150*10
256MB OCZ PC150 SDRAM, CAS2
Visiontek 5632 Geforce 2 GTS-V ("V" for value)
Maxtor 40GB HD, DX740
misc. ancient hardware

<b>We are all beta testers!</b>

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
:)

The Epox 8KTA3PRO and the Tbird AYHJAR-Y, week 36, are an impressive combination. I haven't had any crashes in the 2-3 weeks I've owned these, at least not at 1500mhz. I can obtain that speed at only 1.87 volts core. When I push the voltage to 2.25 (reads as 2.28), which is the factory max of this board, I can get it to POST at 1755, 130*13.5 (yes I know that's an FSB underclock). 1580 is the highest I can go and actually do anything useful. It doesn't seem to crash even at that speed but the BIOS overclock protection seems to be finicky at boot-up and sometimes won't POST at that speed. On the other hand, the protection helps the system recovery nicely from too much overclocking. Just a RESET and the system is back in business. Once I can get past POST it seems alright.

I find this pretty amazing considering I'm running air-cooled with just average case fans (2) and the Delta fan for the CPU, all in a very, small (17-1/2 x 8 x 17"), mid-tower case.

svol

Champion
I hope to get good OC result with my Tbird 1.4 GHz AYHJA core and my Abit KG7-RAID, I also have PC2400 RAM for FSB overclocking and I'm working at a watercooler with peltier.
But getting so high with only aircoolong is very impressive.

My case has so many fans that it hovers above the ground :eek: .

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
...Just looking at the <A HREF="http://www.overclockers.com" target="_new">www.overclockers.com</A> CPU database. Looks like the AYHJA 1.4's overclock very nicely averaging 1608mhz. There's even a claim of 2100, air-cooled. (That claim is a bit suspicious). Also some nice KG7 overclocks.

Good luck with your water cooling project.

svol

Champion
That's why I bought the AYHJA and the KG7.
But I've a new problem now... I fried my CPU when testing my watercooler :frown: and I need a new one, but 1.4 AYHJA are rare to get so I will buy a XP, don't no which one yet, any suggestions.

My case has so many fans that it hovers above the ground :eek: .

bdaley

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
In case you didn't see my earlier post in the CPU forum, I have an AYHJA I'm not using if you're interested.

"There's no such thing as gravity, the Earth just sucks"