Why and How GF2 Mx `vivo

G

Why should I overclock? Will it improve it that much? And if I do will that little black thing that looks like a HS cool it well enough? If not I can duck tape something to it :)

How, I have read many post but you guys are all takling in gibberish xxx/xxx You said one is gpu. What is gpu? and the other is my system? If so I have 266fsb is that what it is?
Sorry if I give you guys headaches , but I am learning and interested in overclocking my motherboard and cpu!

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
welcome to the wonderful world of video card overclocking... :smile:
well, one reason you might do it is to increase frame rates on higher resolutions.
the other is just to have some bragging rights. hehe...
also, the heatsink that is on your video card might allow a little bit of overclocking...but nothing real crazy...
to do some real crazy stuff, you will want to take off the stock heatsink, and put on something like an old pentium90 heatsink...
look on the internet for how to attatch a new heatsink to a video card.
when someone is talking about how far they have overclocked their video card, they spurt out a set of numbers.
xxx/xxx....
the first number is the gpu, or GRAPHICS PROCCESSING UNIT.
the second number is the memory speed on the video card.
here is an example,
my video card is an MSI-831 Geforce2 PRO with 64 megs of 5ns DDR.
my video card comes stock at 200/400. the gpu is at 200 mhz, and the ram is at 400mhz.
a program that you can use to overclock your video card is something called powerstrip.
it is pretty good, and has a pretty simple interface.

the 266fsb you mentioned is the FRONT SIDE BUS of your processor. what that means is that data is transferred from the various components on the motherboard to the cpu at 266mhz. however, that 266 is DDR(or Double Data Rate), so it is really 133mhz*2(double data rate)=266mhzDDR.

when you get powerstrip, you will want to update to the latest drivers for your card. go to <A HREF="http://www.nvidia.com" target="_new">Nvidia</A> and download the latest detonators available. install those and then install powerstrip. then open the overclocking window, and turn up the speed a little bit.
but go a notch at a time. once you start to notice lockups, or anomalies, and problems rendering 3d stuff, then take it down a notch or two until it doesnt do that anymore. then run some benchmarking utility like <A HREF="http://www.madonion.com" target="_new">3Dmark2001</A> a few times so that you know it is really stable. once you have determined that the card is stable at that speed, then you know how far that card can go.
take note though, that every card is different. it may be the same chip, it may be the same ram, and it may be the same model, and the serial number might be the next right after the one that hit 300/300(example number), but yours might not hit it, or it might go higher!
another thing, you might want to overclock the ram more than the core, because higher ram speed means higher resolutions will run a little smoother.
be careful, and remember that overdoing it can make things get hot.
look into ramsinks for the ram, and maybe a better heatsink for the GPU.

i hope that this helps at all, and if anyone sees anything that i left out, please feel free to chime in! :smile:
alright, well, again, welcome to the wonderful world ove overclocking! :smile:

i will let someone else teach about overclocking the cpu...my hands are tired, and i am hungry...but if i come back, and no one has done it already, i will hook you up.
but another thing to do in the mean time, you can search on the internet for overclocking.
i suppose that you have an athlon...either a thunderbird or an xp....and there are some guides out there to overclocking them, but that can require some hardware mods...so read up! and be careful! SHLA-ZAM!

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

G

So its basically a program that does all the work?
Do i have to take off my HS or can i just get some fans that go next to it like they sell at 1coolpc