Compaq Presario R3000Z won't read 1Gb SD&MMC

I've got a compaq presario r3000z laptop, purchased in september 2004.
It won't read 1GB SD&MMC cards in the integrated card slots. Smaller
cards are fine, up to 256MB. I don't know about 512MB, as I haven't got
one that size to try. So far as I know I have the latest driver for the
card reader, since I didn't find a newer one on the compaq support
website. Cards work just fine if plugged in through an external USB
card reader. Any suggestions on how to make the integrated card reader
read 1GB+ cards?

I have the same notebook as you, purchased in June of 04 and I have a 512MB
SanDisk SD card, it reads it fine.

"HelDC" <helwitch@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I've got a compaq presario r3000z laptop, purchased in september 2004.
> It won't read 1GB SD&MMC cards in the integrated card slots. Smaller
> cards are fine, up to 256MB. I don't know about 512MB, as I haven't got
> one that size to try. So far as I know I have the latest driver for the
> card reader, since I didn't find a newer one on the compaq support
> website. Cards work just fine if plugged in through an external USB
> card reader. Any suggestions on how to make the integrated card reader
> read 1GB+ cards?

Same here. I thought I was alone in this issue. I have tried both the
Lexar and SanDisk 1gb cards and it will not read either. It will read
the 512mb cards. I thought there might be something wrong with the
SanDisk 1gb card and purchased the Lexar with the same issue. I have
to read the cards by using a 8 in 1 Card reader connected to the USB.
What a dissappointment. Additionally checked HP/Compact support for
updates to know avail, and posted a help request.

HelDC wrote:
> I've got a compaq presario r3000z laptop, purchased in september
2004.
> It won't read 1GB SD&MMC cards in the integrated card slots. Smaller
> cards are fine, up to 256MB. I don't know about 512MB, as I haven't
got
> one that size to try. So far as I know I have the latest driver for
the
> card reader, since I didn't find a newer one on the compaq support
> website. Cards work just fine if plugged in through an external USB
> card reader. Any suggestions on how to make the integrated card
reader
> read 1GB+ cards?

You're definitely not alone in having this problem. The problem occured
for me with a generic MMC, and a PNY SD. I wonder how many help
requests HP has to get before they do something to fix it.