Printer Spooling Errors

I have a new install of Win XP Pro, running SP1. It's
connected to a hub for my home network. Everything works
fine on the network between computers, file sharing,
internet connection sharing, printer sharing. The problem
I am having is apparently with the print spooler.
Nevermind that I can't print certain documents from the
connected computers on the shared printer, because I can't
even print certain documents on the shared printer FROM
THE SHARING COMPUTER, which is connected parallel to the
printer. So, I can print pages from within Int. Explorer,
graphics & text no problem. But I have problems with other
programs. Notepad and MS Word, for example, will print
blank pages. If I turn print spooling off and print
directly to the printer, then everything prints normally
from all programs on the sharing computer, but this change
produces an error when trying to print from the other
network computers, since spooling is the only way to print
from them. The printer is an HP 812C. I have tried
uninstalling and reinstalling the printer. Test pages from
the sharing and all connected computers print normally. I
never receive any error messages of any kind, just blank
pages and the print que is emptied as though everything
went smoothly. As a temporary workaround, I am telling my
family to save any documents they want to print to a
shared folder on the printer-sharing computer, then they
must logon to that computer, temporarily turn off
spooling, print the document, and then turn on spooling
again and log off, which is a headache of inconvenience.
Any ideas what could be causing the spooling error? Thanks
for your thoughts.
1 answer Last reply
More about printer spooling errors

    Did you disable the XP built in firewall on the PC with the shared PC. In
    SP1, the firewall is not designed for use on a network. The firewall in SP2
    is greatly improved and will allow access to the printer while not allowing
    any 'outside' access.
    www.coribright.com

    "Rodney" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have a new install of Win XP Pro, running SP1. It's
    > connected to a hub for my home network. Everything works
    > fine on the network between computers, file sharing,
    > internet connection sharing, printer sharing. The problem
    > I am having is apparently with the print spooler.
    > Nevermind that I can't print certain documents from the
    > connected computers on the shared printer, because I can't
    > even print certain documents on the shared printer FROM
    > THE SHARING COMPUTER, which is connected parallel to the
    > printer. So, I can print pages from within Int. Explorer,
    > graphics & text no problem. But I have problems with other
    > programs. Notepad and MS Word, for example, will print
    > blank pages. If I turn print spooling off and print
    > directly to the printer, then everything prints normally
    > from all programs on the sharing computer, but this change
    > produces an error when trying to print from the other
    > network computers, since spooling is the only way to print
    > from them. The printer is an HP 812C. I have tried
    > uninstalling and reinstalling the printer. Test pages from
    > the sharing and all connected computers print normally. I
    > never receive any error messages of any kind, just blank
    > pages and the print que is emptied as though everything
    > went smoothly. As a temporary workaround, I am telling my
    > family to save any documents they want to print to a
    > shared folder on the printer-sharing computer, then they
    > must logon to that computer, temporarily turn off
    > spooling, print the document, and then turn on spooling
    > again and log off, which is a headache of inconvenience.
    > Any ideas what could be causing the spooling error? Thanks
    > for your thoughts.

Spooling Printers Windows XP