Screwed up my cpu?

GoatMonkey

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
I was just trying to replace the heatsink on my cpu and tried to remove the arctic silver from the top of the chip, but smeared it all over the cpu accidentaly. What's the best way to get it off? I'm trying rubbing alcohol first probably, since that's what they say to use to get it off the heatsink.

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
visit <A HREF="http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_alumina_instructions.htm" target="_new">Arctic silver's Instructions Page</A> to see what they say....
but alchohol should work pretty good!

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

GoatMonkey

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
It seems like the cpu was working. I booted up and went into the bios. I thought that I might have not tightened down the heatsink enough. The temperature started at about 100F or so and went up to about 130F before I shut it down. Now I've tightened down the heatsink and it won't boot anymore. I'm worried that I might have crushed the core. What normally happens when the core is crushed? I hit the power switch and get nothing as if the power switch wasn't connected. The fans don't even turn on. I've tried moving the power switch around to every possible combination, but it doesn't start. Anyone have an idea for me?

GoatMonkey

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
Can someone tell me if this is the behavior I could expect if the cpu is toast? It seems like the fans would come on and the motherboard would beep like there was no cpu present or something if it wasn't working.

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
take off the heatsink, and inspect the core.
if there is physical damage, then you crushed it.
my athlon has a VERY VERY VERY small flask off one of the outer edges, and works fine.
my friends old athlon has a small chip off the corner, and i dont know if it works or not, becuase i have not tried it, since he has an xp1600 in his, and i dont want to take mine out...but i might today, because i have to clean my cpu to put on some arctic silver.

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-