Full Control on printers security properties

Hello,

We have a printer being shared on a windows nt 4.0 domain. When the
printer is installed onto a clients computer (even as local & domain
admin) the security settings do not allow us to give users full
control to manage documents and printers. I select manage documents &
printers with permissions to all check boxes to everyone (even creator
owner) and still they revert back when the Apply button is pressed.
The users cannot print to a legal size paper and landscape because
they cant manage it. We have tried giving everyone permissions to the
system32/spool directory and still no luck. We've tried using both HP
and Microsoft drivers and still no luck. All the tray assignments
have been placed also.

Any ideas?

Thanks ahead of time,

Rene Enriquez

Orientation and paper size are "Printing Preferences", you don't need to be
able manage Documents and Printers to be able to change these settings.

On the client computer, open Printers and Faxes
right click on the printer in question
select Printing Preferences

change orientation on the Layout tab. Select the paper tray etc. from the
Paper/Quality tab.

To be able to change the Properties (as opposed to Printing Preferences) of
a Network Printer, you have to be an administrator on the print server
computer. Windows XP clients only get a reference to a Network Printer,
they don't get a complete Printer Object. The Properties you see from the
client are the Properties on the print server, which is why "Users" can not
change them.

--
Bruce Sanderson MVP