Full Control on printers security properties

Hello,

We have a printer being shared on a windows nt 4.0 domain. When the
printer is installed onto a clients computer (even as local & domain
admin) the security settings do not allow us to give users full
control to manage documents and printers. I select manage documents &
printers with permissions to all check boxes to everyone (even creator
owner) and still they revert back when the Apply button is pressed.
The users cannot print to a legal size paper and landscape because
they cant manage it. We have tried giving everyone permissions to the
system32/spool directory and still no luck. We've tried using both HP
and Microsoft drivers and still no luck. All the tray assignments
have been placed also.

Any ideas?

Thanks ahead of time,

Rene Enriquez
1 answer Last reply
More about full control printers security properties

    Orientation and paper size are "Printing Preferences", you don't need to be
    able manage Documents and Printers to be able to change these settings.

    On the client computer, open Printers and Faxes
    right click on the printer in question
    select Printing Preferences

    change orientation on the Layout tab. Select the paper tray etc. from the
    Paper/Quality tab.

    To be able to change the Properties (as opposed to Printing Preferences) of
    a Network Printer, you have to be an administrator on the print server
    computer. Windows XP clients only get a reference to a Network Printer,
    they don't get a complete Printer Object. The Properties you see from the
    client are the Properties on the print server, which is why "Users" can not
    change them.

    --
    Bruce Sanderson MVP

    "Rene Enriquez" <enriquez_rene@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > We have a printer being shared on a windows nt 4.0 domain. When the
    > printer is installed onto a clients computer (even as local & domain
    > admin) the security settings do not allow us to give users full
    > control to manage documents and printers. I select manage documents &
    > printers with permissions to all check boxes to everyone (even creator
    > owner) and still they revert back when the Apply button is pressed.
    > The users cannot print to a legal size paper and landscape because
    > they cant manage it. We have tried giving everyone permissions to the
    > system32/spool directory and still no luck. We've tried using both HP
    > and Microsoft drivers and still no luck. All the tray assignments
    > have been placed also.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks ahead of time,
    >
    > Rene Enriquez