How to Fax multiple pages using Fax Console

October 7, 2004 10:23:50 AM

Can anyone tell me how to scan multiple pages before
actually sending a fax when using the Micrsoft supplied
Fax Console that comes with Windows. I'm using a Canon
scanner and the manual says to consult the documentation
for the fax program.

Thanks for the help.
Anonymous
October 7, 2004 8:08:51 PM

Manual is wrong.
You should consult the documentation that came with your scanner. It needs
to have the ability to create a single document from multiple scanned pages
(most scanners do). Once that is done, you need only print to the Fax
printer from the application in which this document was created.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Donald" <yo-fruity@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
> Can anyone tell me how to scan multiple pages before
> actually sending a fax when using the Micrsoft supplied
> Fax Console that comes with Windows. I'm using a Canon
> scanner and the manual says to consult the documentation
> for the fax program.
>
> Thanks for the help.
Anonymous
October 8, 2004 5:47:56 PM

On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 16:08:51 -0500, "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]"
<russval@mvps.org> wrote:

>Manual is wrong.
>You should consult the documentation that came with your scanner. It needs
>to have the ability to create a single document from multiple scanned pages
>(most scanners do). Once that is done, you need only print to the Fax
>printer from the application in which this document was created.

I believe that we've had at least part of this conversation before. I
don't think that it is fair to say baldly that the (scanner's) "Manual
is wrong". _Some_ scanner drivers (I don't think that it is actually
"most") can scan and send multiple pages to a file, printer, or fax
device while keeping the connection open, so that the target file or
device sees the images as a single "job". Most (and here I think it
really is most!) decent 3rd party fax software can incorporate
multiple source files (and often multiple file types) in a single fax.
The Windows fax service works, within its limitations (including this
one) but is _very_ basic. If you need richer functionality, you need
to purchase 3rd party software, e.g. FaxTalk (my personal favourite) -
www.faxtalk.com.

Please respond to the Newsgroup, so that others may benefit from the exchange.
Peter R. Fletcher
October 8, 2004 9:46:15 PM

Because I do not use or evaluate third party fax software (nor are they the
subject of this group), I see far more scanner software that can easily
create a single document from multiple scanned pages than I see fax software
that can fax multiple documents in one transmission.
The real point here is that no one should ever confuse Windows XP Fax with a
full featured fax program. It has never made any claim to be one.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Peter R. Fletcher" <pfletch(at)fletchers(hyphen)uk.com> wrote in message
> On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 16:08:51 -0500, "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]"
> <russval@mvps.org> wrote:
>
>>Manual is wrong.
>>You should consult the documentation that came with your scanner. It needs
>>to have the ability to create a single document from multiple scanned
>>pages
>>(most scanners do). Once that is done, you need only print to the Fax
>>printer from the application in which this document was created.
>
> I believe that we've had at least part of this conversation before. I
> don't think that it is fair to say baldly that the (scanner's) "Manual
> is wrong". _Some_ scanner drivers (I don't think that it is actually
> "most") can scan and send multiple pages to a file, printer, or fax
> device while keeping the connection open, so that the target file or
> device sees the images as a single "job". Most (and here I think it
> really is most!) decent 3rd party fax software can incorporate
> multiple source files (and often multiple file types) in a single fax.
> The Windows fax service works, within its limitations (including this
> one) but is _very_ basic. If you need richer functionality, you need
> to purchase 3rd party software, e.g. FaxTalk (my personal favourite) -
> www.faxtalk.com.
>
> Please respond to the Newsgroup, so that others may benefit from the
> exchange.
> Peter R. Fletcher
Anonymous
October 9, 2004 5:09:34 PM

We certainly agree on your last point!

On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 17:46:15 -0500, "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]"
<russval@mvps.org> wrote:

>Because I do not use or evaluate third party fax software (nor are they the
>subject of this group), I see far more scanner software that can easily
>create a single document from multiple scanned pages than I see fax software
>that can fax multiple documents in one transmission.
>The real point here is that no one should ever confuse Windows XP Fax with a
>full featured fax program. It has never made any claim to be one.

Please respond to the Newsgroup, so that others may benefit from the exchange.
Peter R. Fletcher
Anonymous
October 9, 2004 11:19:26 PM

BTW, I have always interpreted the subject of this group (rather
broadly) as "printing and faxing under Windows XP". I would have
thought that the capabilities of third party fax software (in general)
was "on topic" even though problems with or questions about a
_specific_ non-MS software application wouldn't be.

<russval@mvps.org> wrote:

>Because I do not use or evaluate third party fax software (nor are they the
>subject of this group), I see far more scanner software that can easily
>create a single document from multiple scanned pages than I see fax software
>that can fax multiple documents in one transmission.
>The real point here is that no one should ever confuse Windows XP Fax with a
>full featured fax program. It has never made any claim to be one.

Please respond to the Newsgroup, so that others may benefit from the exchange.
Peter R. Fletcher
November 3, 2004 9:38:01 PM

Hey Russ,

Can I ask something here? Befor upgrading to XP, I was successfully using
Microsoft Fax (from its beginnings as a component of Exchange) to send
multiple docs in one fax. You could click the BROWSE button and add as many
files as you wanted and MS Fax would send them all as one.

Has there been any reason for the removal of this feature from the newest
version in XP? Just curious. I was a big fan of the quality of the previous
version.

Daren

"Peter R. Fletcher" wrote:

> BTW, I have always interpreted the subject of this group (rather
> broadly) as "printing and faxing under Windows XP". I would have
> thought that the capabilities of third party fax software (in general)
> was "on topic" even though problems with or questions about a
> _specific_ non-MS software application wouldn't be.
>
> On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 17:46:15 -0500, "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]"
> <russval@mvps.org> wrote:
>
> >Because I do not use or evaluate third party fax software (nor are they the
> >subject of this group), I see far more scanner software that can easily
> >create a single document from multiple scanned pages than I see fax software
> >that can fax multiple documents in one transmission.
> >The real point here is that no one should ever confuse Windows XP Fax with a
> >full featured fax program. It has never made any claim to be one.
>

> Please respond to the Newsgroup, so that others may benefit from the exchange.
> Peter R. Fletcher

Anonymous
November 4, 2004 1:29:21 AM

I have no idea what determines the feature set for the fax module. I only
know it has been less with each version. Wish I knew why.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Daren" <Daren@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hey Russ,
>
> Can I ask something here? Befor upgrading to XP, I was successfully using
> Microsoft Fax (from its beginnings as a component of Exchange) to send
> multiple docs in one fax. You could click the BROWSE button and add as
> many
> files as you wanted and MS Fax would send them all as one.
>
> Has there been any reason for the removal of this feature from the newest
> version in XP? Just curious. I was a big fan of the quality of the
> previous
> version.
>
> Daren
>

> "Peter R. Fletcher" wrote:
>
>> BTW, I have always interpreted the subject of this group (rather
>> broadly) as "printing and faxing under Windows XP". I would have
>> thought that the capabilities of third party fax software (in general)
>> was "on topic" even though problems with or questions about a
>> _specific_ non-MS software application wouldn't be.
>>
>> On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 17:46:15 -0500, "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]"
>> <russval@mvps.org> wrote:
>>
>> >Because I do not use or evaluate third party fax software (nor are they
>> >the
>> >subject of this group), I see far more scanner software that can easily
>> >create a single document from multiple scanned pages than I see fax
>> >software
>> >that can fax multiple documents in one transmission.
>> >The real point here is that no one should ever confuse Windows XP Fax
>> >with a
>> >full featured fax program. It has never made any claim to be one.
>>

>> Please respond to the Newsgroup, so that others may benefit from the
>> exchange.
>> Peter R. Fletcher

November 4, 2004 1:29:22 AM

OK. Thanks anyway, Russ.