One of my characters has 235 charisma with her gear.
I tried to see how charisma affect merchant to offer price when I sell.
And I found it doesn't make any difference charisma 235 and 125(without her
gear).
Why is that so?
I created this character to help my evil main character's bank.
Anyone can explain me about this,please?

EQ1 stromm server

For my erudite enchanter, and my dwarven warrior, 105 had a small
difference compared to 110, but no difference beyond 110.

Arcury <yarcuryxxx@kc.rr.com> wrote:
>One of my characters has 235 charisma with her gear.
>I tried to see how charisma affect merchant to offer price when I sell.
>And I found it doesn't make any difference charisma 235 and 125(without her
>gear). Why is that so?

Because the "soft cap" for merchant prices is 110 charisma (my memory may be
faulty, it's around there). Anything over that has no effect. You WILL
notice a difference if you compare a CHA of 60 to one of 100.

EQ uses soft caps in a whole lot of places. A "hard cap" is when a stat just
doesn't go higher. "Soft cap" means that the stat goes up, but has no more
(or in some cases very little more) effect. Note that the soft cap for
different uses of a stat can be different. For instance, CHA stops helping
merchant prices at 110, but keeps helping some types of enchanter spells much
higher than that.
--
Mark Rafn dagon@dagon.net <http://www.dagon.net/>

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 17:50:27 GMT, "Arcury" <yarcuryxxx@kc.rr.com>
wrote:

>One of my characters has 235 charisma with her gear.
>I tried to see how charisma affect merchant to offer price when I sell.
>And I found it doesn't make any difference charisma 235 and 125(without her
>gear).
>Why is that so?
>I created this character to help my evil main character's bank.
>Anyone can explain me about this,please?
>
>EQ1 stromm server

Below about 110, it does affect selling/buying price.

But at about 110-115ish and higher, there is no benefit when it comes
to NPC merchants. (Not saying there isnt' other reasons to get CHA
that high, just talking NPC merchants here)

wrote:

>One of my characters has 235 charisma with her gear.
>I tried to see how charisma affect merchant to offer price when I sell.
>And I found it doesn't make any difference charisma 235 and 125(without her
>gear).

I noted a couple of years back that as long as you hit 100 Charisma,
that seems to do about as well as any higher Charisma stat. I can get
to about 150 or 160 with my fairly lowbie Enchanter, and the extra 50
or 60 make no difference, if I recall correctly. Either that, or
maybe a few silver better.

Palindrome

Larry Laffer <private@aol.com> wrote in

> On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 17:50:27 GMT, "Arcury" <yarcuryxxx@kc.rr.com>
> wrote:
>
>>One of my characters has 235 charisma with her gear.
>>I tried to see how charisma affect merchant to offer price when I
>>sell. And I found it doesn't make any difference charisma 235 and
>>125(without her gear).
>>Why is that so?
>>I created this character to help my evil main character's bank.
>>Anyone can explain me about this,please?
>>
>>EQ1 stromm server
>>

> Below about 110, it does affect selling/buying price.
>
> But at about 110-115ish and higher, there is no benefit when it comes
> to NPC merchants. (Not saying there isnt' other reasons to get CHA
> that high, just talking NPC merchants here)

Yup. I was thinking it was 113 for some reason.

--
Rumble
-- Benjamin Franklin

As others have said, charisma above a certain point doesn't affect
prices. I'm pretty sure the max needed is 104. That assumes the
merchant is no worse than indifferent to you. (If apprehensive, the
price will be higher; at dubious, he won't even sell to you. Of
course, you may be able to overcome that by using Sneak and coming
up from behind him.)

I believe I've seen cases where prices were affected by CHA over 104
and/or faction better than indifferent, but they are rare. For
instance, some merchants offer worse prices than others (the one in
the newbie Freeport yard, for instance, or the Ogre just inside the
gates). I think two of the Iksar merchants in Field of Bone are like
that, but after I got faction up to amiable or so, and CHA 140ish,
I was able to get the same prices from them as from other merchants.

CHA does have other uses, of course. I'm told it affects how well
Charm works, for example, though I've never played a charm class.

-- Don.

-- Sukrasisx, Monk 53 on E. Marr Note: If you reply by mail,
-- Terrwini, Druid 51 on E. Marr I'll get to it sooner if you
-- Teviron, Knight 13 on E. Marr

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

In article <7wis2apkrq.fsf@ca.icynic.com>, don-ns@iCynic.com says...
> As others have said, charisma above a certain point doesn't affect
> prices. I'm pretty sure the max needed is 104. That assumes the
> merchant is no worse than indifferent to you. (If apprehensive, the
> price will be higher; at dubious, he won't even sell to you. Of
> course, you may be able to overcome that by using Sneak and coming
> up from behind him.)
>
> I believe I've seen cases where prices were affected by CHA over 104
> and/or faction better than indifferent, but they are rare. For
> instance, some merchants offer worse prices than others (the one in
> the newbie Freeport yard, for instance, or the Ogre just inside the
> gates). I think two of the Iksar merchants in Field of Bone are like
> that, but after I got faction up to amiable or so, and CHA 140ish,
> I was able to get the same prices from them as from other merchants.

http://www.eqtraders.com/articles/article_page.php?article=g190&menustr=
070000000000

Numbers differ from what I've seen here already, but these guys are
usually pretty on the ball for stuff like this...

worth a read

"Arcury" <yarcuryxxx@kc.rr.com> wrote in

> One of my characters has 235 charisma with her gear.
> I tried to see how charisma affect merchant to offer price when I
> sell. And I found it doesn't make any difference charisma 235 and
> 125(without her gear).
> Why is that so?
> I created this character to help my evil main character's bank.
> Anyone can explain me about this,please?

It is because you are already over the charisma cap that affects prices. I
believe if you went to a merchant that is dubious to you, you would find a
difference with those charisma values, but I don't recall the exact limits
based on faction as to when charisma stops having an effect.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont in <Insanity Plea>
Graeme, 28 Dwarven Mystic, 24 Sage, Retired
Aviv, 15 Gnome Brawler, 30 Provisioner, Retired

42 <nospam@nospam.com> writes:
> http://www.eqtraders.com/articles/article_page.php?article=g190&menustr=
> 070000000000
>
> Numbers differ from what I've seen here already, but these guys are
> usually pretty on the ball for stuff like this...
>
> worth a read

Actually, that article confirms the number I gave: 104 CHA at indifferent
faction.

Some of the other stuff in there I'm not sure is right -- e.g., merchants
raising their prices if they get a lot of business -- and some of it I'm
positive is wrong -- e.g., I know a stack of water costs 2gp, not 2gp 1sp.
Of course, some of these things might have changed since the article was
last updated in mid-2003.

Don Woods <don-ns@iCynic.com> wrote in

> 42 <nospam@nospam.com> writes:
>> http://www.eqtraders.com/articles/article_page.php?article=g190&menust
>> r= 070000000000
>>
>> Numbers differ from what I've seen here already, but these guys are
>> usually pretty on the ball for stuff like this...
>>
>> worth a read
>
> Actually, that article confirms the number I gave: 104 CHA at
> indifferent faction.
>
> Some of the other stuff in there I'm not sure is right -- e.g.,
> merchants raising their prices if they get a lot of business -- and
> some of it I'm positive is wrong -- e.g., I know a stack of water
> costs 2gp, not 2gp 1sp. Of course, some of these things might have
> changed since the article was last updated in mid-2003.

I have seen times when a stack of items costs different than 20 times the
price of a single item. It may be when you are not getting the best
price, and the multiplier is applied, not sure off hand.