Shared xp printer stops working with 98 after SP2??

I have a home network consisting of one XP Home machine
and 2 98SE systems. Before SP2, both 98 machines worked
fine with the shared printer attached to the XP machine.
Now both computers report a problem communicating with the
printer. I can see all shared folders both ways and also
the shared printer. Any ideas??

Thanks,
Kevin
6 answers Last reply
More about shared printer stops working

    Is this a Lexmark device?

    --
    Alan Morris
    Windows Printing Team

    "Kevin" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have a home network consisting of one XP Home machine
    > and 2 98SE systems. Before SP2, both 98 machines worked
    > fine with the shared printer attached to the XP machine.
    > Now both computers report a problem communicating with the
    > printer. I can see all shared folders both ways and also
    > the shared printer. Any ideas??
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Kevin

    Yes, it is a Lexmark z52 printer. I checked for new
    drivers at lexmark.com but did not find anything newer
    than I had. I tried reloading the driver on the xp
    machine and also on the 98 machine with no luck.

    Thanks,
    Kevin

    [ln];kbhowto

    confers no rights.

    >"Kevin" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message
    >> I have a home network consisting of one XP Home machine
    >> and 2 98SE systems. Before SP2, both 98 machines worked
    >> fine with the shared printer attached to the XP machine.
    >> Now both computers report a problem communicating with
    the
    >> printer. I can see all shared folders both ways and
    also
    >> the shared printer. Any ideas??
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Kevin
    >

    >.

    It's an issue with the DCOM communication interface. I gave the Lexmark
    instuctions to another user and it did not help them. Let me know how this
    works for you and I will inform the Lexmark driver developers.

    I apologize for taking so long to get back to you on this. I have been
    working with our development team to try and figure out other methods we
    could us to resolve this problem. I think we might have something mentioned
    later in the note.

    Below is an excerpt from our development staff that was sent to the TAM when
    we first noticed the problem:

    "Our current printing solution uses a DCOM application
    to provide client applications with print path, printer status and
    printer configuration. Our current implementation also supports remote
    (machine) peer-to-peer printing with printer status.

    When we apply Service Pack 2 to a Windows XP machine, peer-to-peer
    printing no longer functions correctly. We notice that our DCOM
    application (which runs as a service) gets launched, but the remote
    client gets an 'access denied' error (5) when it tries to use the
    interface. We did some investigation with DCOMCNFG and noticed that we
    were able to print when the machine-wide settings were modified as
    follows:

    DCOMCNFG- > 'Configure my Computer' button -> COM Security -> 'Access
    Permissions' Edit Limits -> 'Remote Access' for Everyone=checked.

    Prior to the change, the allow and deny settings for Remote Access were
    blank, which we understood to mean that the application's settings were
    to be used. This leads us to our question: From a DCOM point of view,
    what is the exact meaning of the new 'Security Limits' part of DCOMCNFG
    and what does it mean if a particular field is blank (that is, neither
    Allow or Deny is checked)?

    Some background information may be useful. Our component specifies
    'Connect' and 'Identify' as it's communication property at runtime with
    CoInitializeSecurity(). It specifies launch and access permission via
    the Registry under HKCR\AppId\{application guid}."

    This gives a basic understanding of why Lexmark uses DCOM and what we try to
    do in the Peer to Peer configuration. We basicallly use the DCOM
    application for our bidirectional communications and we try to perform the
    communications via a Peer to Peer connected printer.

    As far as when it broke, we first noticed the problem in RC1 of the service
    pack. We started the escalation then, but noticed it was fixed in RC2. By
    fixed, we basically mean the defaults for these settings were changed. When
    the RTM came out, the default settings for the COM Security were set back to
    the way they were in RC1.

    We have worked on a method that will allow us to programatically change
    these settings, but we would need to prompt the user to let them know we are
    trying to make this change and would like to steer away from this if at all
    possible. I was waiting to get this out to make sure it was possible for us
    to make this change.

    --

    > Yes, it is a Lexmark z52 printer. I checked for new
    > drivers at lexmark.com but did not find anything newer
    > than I had. I tried reloading the driver on the xp
    > machine and also on the 98 machine with no luck.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Kevin

    Yes, it is lexmark z52 connected by USB. With the xp
    firewall enabled with sharing enabled, the remote print
    from the either 98se machine the print sets there for
    several seconds before reporting "problem communicating
    with printer". When the xp firewall is disabled, the
    error message return quickly.

    Alan,

    I tried what you suggested below :

    DCOMCNFG- > 'Configure my Computer' button -> COM Security -> 'Access
    Permissions' Edit Limits -> 'Remote Access' for Everyone=checked

    The everyone was already checked. I tried the annonymous check also,
    no luck. Any other suggestions?

    Thanks,
    Kevin
    kwilliams@indy.rr.com

    "Alan Morris\(MSFT\)" <alanmo@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:<uSpoqWarEHA.324@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>...
    > Is this a Lexmark device?
    >
    > --
    > Alan Morris
    > Windows Printing Team

    > "Kevin" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I have a home network consisting of one XP Home machine
    > > and 2 98SE systems. Before SP2, both 98 machines worked
    > > fine with the shared printer attached to the XP machine.
    > > Now both computers report a problem communicating with the
    > > printer. I can see all shared folders both ways and also
    > > the shared printer. Any ideas??
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Kevin

    thanks for the update. I'll pass this on to the Lexmark testers here.

    XP has inbox drivers for this device. I know these are not the Win98
    version but they may allow sharing function to work.

    --
    Alan Morris
    Windows Printing Team

    "kevin" <kwilliams@indy.rr.com> wrote in message
    > Alan,
    >
    > I tried what you suggested below :
    >
    > DCOMCNFG- > 'Configure my Computer' button -> COM Security -> 'Access
    > Permissions' Edit Limits -> 'Remote Access' for Everyone=checked
    >
    > The everyone was already checked. I tried the annonymous check also,
    > no luck. Any other suggestions?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Kevin
    > kwilliams@indy.rr.com
    >

    > "Alan Morris\(MSFT\)" <alanmo@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Is this a Lexmark device?
    > >
    > > --
    > > Alan Morris
    > > Windows Printing Team
    > > Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here:
    > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];kbhowto

    rights.

    > > "Kevin" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > I have a home network consisting of one XP Home machine
    > > > and 2 98SE systems. Before SP2, both 98 machines worked
    > > > fine with the shared printer attached to the XP machine.
    > > > Now both computers report a problem communicating with the
    > > > printer. I can see all shared folders both ways and also
    > > > the shared printer. Any ideas??
    > > >
    > > > Thanks,
    > > > Kevin

Windows XP Shared Printer Printers