Urgernt Printing from DOS problem

I am running Windows XP Home addition with SP2 installed. My PC is connected
to LAN with 1 server and shared printer.
I have read so many questions about how to do this with most responses
directing everyone to go to the Print To DOS site. That's all great if you
know when to put \\, / \ : but I have followed these instructions until I'm
blue. Here is how I entered the command from the DOS window: net use
lpt1: \\srv01\Kyocera FS-1010N /user: \\srv01/BOB /persistent:yes

Note the spaces! My Server name is srv01, the printer (shared) name is
Kyocera FS-1010N. I'm Bob. So what am I doing wrong?

Thanks for your help!

Bob
8 answers Last reply
More about urgernt printing problem

    lpt1: \\srv01\"Kyocera FS-1010N" /user: \\srv01/BOB /persistent:yes

    You need to " " the share name when it has spaces or just change the
    sharename so there are not spaces. The DOS window require the quotes even
    when listing files with dir in the cmd window.

    you might need to specify the password but if you are logged in as BOB, I do
    not think you need to specify user name

    --
    Alan Morris
    Windows Printing Team

    "Rednosebob" <Rednosebob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I am running Windows XP Home addition with SP2 installed. My PC is
    connected
    > to LAN with 1 server and shared printer.
    > I have read so many questions about how to do this with most responses
    > directing everyone to go to the Print To DOS site. That's all great if
    you
    > know when to put \\, / \ : but I have followed these instructions until
    I'm
    > blue. Here is how I entered the command from the DOS window: net use
    > lpt1: \\srv01\Kyocera FS-1010N /user: \\srv01/BOB /persistent:yes
    >
    > Note the spaces! My Server name is srv01, the printer (shared) name is
    > Kyocera FS-1010N. I'm Bob. So what am I doing wrong?
    >
    > Thanks for your help!
    >
    > Bob

    When I enetered the command, using NET USE ... I recieved the following
    messages:
    System error 66 has occurred.

    The network resource type is not correct.

    "Alan Morris(MSFT)" wrote:

    > lpt1: \\srv01\"Kyocera FS-1010N" /user: \\srv01/BOB /persistent:yes
    >
    > You need to " " the share name when it has spaces or just change the
    > sharename so there are not spaces. The DOS window require the quotes even
    > when listing files with dir in the cmd window.
    >
    > you might need to specify the password but if you are logged in as BOB, I do
    > not think you need to specify user name
    >

    > --
    > Alan Morris
    > Windows Printing Team

    > "Rednosebob" <Rednosebob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I am running Windows XP Home addition with SP2 installed. My PC is
    > connected
    > > to LAN with 1 server and shared printer.
    > > I have read so many questions about how to do this with most responses
    > > directing everyone to go to the Print To DOS site. That's all great if
    > you
    > > know when to put \\, / \ : but I have followed these instructions until
    > I'm
    > > blue. Here is how I entered the command from the DOS window: net use
    > > lpt1: \\srv01\Kyocera FS-1010N /user: \\srv01/BOB /persistent:yes
    > >
    > > Note the spaces! My Server name is srv01, the printer (shared) name is
    > > Kyocera FS-1010N. I'm Bob. So what am I doing wrong?
    > >
    > > Thanks for your help!
    > >
    > > Bob

    Error 66 means the network share cannot be found. Is the firewall disabled?
    If you type net share can you view the printer sharename

    net share

    Share name Resource Remark
    ---
    C$ C:\ Default share
    E$ E:\ Default share
    IPC$ Remote IPC
    HPDesign npi94e8ed Spooled HP DesignJet 750C+ (E/A0) by HP
    nec NPI3fdb74 Spooled nec
    RicohAP3 IP_157.56.28.57 Spooled RicohAP3800C PS
    Xerox55P XRX0000AA6A4C56 Spooled Xerox 55 PS

    Save some time here, change the sharename to printer. Get rid of the
    spaces until you get this working. You can change this back later after you
    get the

    net use lpt1: \\ntprint\nosharemane

    > When I enetered the command, using NET USE ... I recieved the following
    > messages:
    > System error 66 has occurred.
    >
    > The network resource type is not correct.
    >
    > "Alan Morris(MSFT)" wrote:
    >
    > > lpt1: \\srv01\"Kyocera FS-1010N" /user: \\srv01/BOB /persistent:yes
    > >
    > > You need to " " the share name when it has spaces or just change the
    > > sharename so there are not spaces. The DOS window require the quotes
    even
    > > when listing files with dir in the cmd window.
    > >
    > > you might need to specify the password but if you are logged in as BOB,
    I do
    > > not think you need to specify user name
    > >

    > > --
    > > Alan Morris
    > > Windows Printing Team
    > > Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here:
    > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];kbhowto

    rights.

    > > "Rednosebob" <Rednosebob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > I am running Windows XP Home addition with SP2 installed. My PC is
    > > connected
    > > > to LAN with 1 server and shared printer.
    > > > I have read so many questions about how to do this with most responses
    > > > directing everyone to go to the Print To DOS site. That's all great
    if
    > > you
    > > > know when to put \\, / \ : but I have followed these instructions
    until
    > > I'm
    > > > blue. Here is how I entered the command from the DOS window: net
    use
    > > > lpt1: \\srv01\Kyocera FS-1010N /user: \\srv01/BOB /persistent:yes
    > > >
    > > > Note the spaces! My Server name is srv01, the printer (shared) name
    is
    > > > Kyocera FS-1010N. I'm Bob. So what am I doing wrong?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks for your help!
    > > >
    > > > Bob

    I'm still not getting there. Below is what I enetered and what was displayed:

    C:\>net share

    Share name Resource Remark

    print$ C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers
    Printer Drivers
    IPC$ Remote IPC
    SharedDocs C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\ALL USERS\DOCUMENTS

    Lexmark USB-LexmarkX84-X85 Spooled Lexmark
    The command completed successfully.

    C:\>

    I don't know if any of that makes sense, but one thing I saw was that the
    Network printer (Kyocera FS-1010N) was not displayed. But I have to tell
    you, I've been printing all morning to it through our network.

    Bob

    "Alan Morris(MSFT)" wrote:

    > Error 66 means the network share cannot be found. Is the firewall disabled?
    > If you type net share can you view the printer sharename
    >
    > net share
    >
    > Share name Resource Remark
    > ---
    > C$ C:\ Default share
    > E$ E:\ Default share
    > IPC$ Remote IPC
    > HPDesign npi94e8ed Spooled HP DesignJet 750C+ (E/A0) by HP
    > nec NPI3fdb74 Spooled nec
    > RicohAP3 IP_157.56.28.57 Spooled RicohAP3800C PS
    > Xerox55P XRX0000AA6A4C56 Spooled Xerox 55 PS
    >
    > Save some time here, change the sharename to printer. Get rid of the
    > spaces until you get this working. You can change this back later after you
    > get the
    >
    > net use lpt1: \\ntprint\nosharemane
    > System error 66 has occurred.
    >
    > The network resource type is not correct.
    > --
    > Alan Morris
    > Windows Printing Team

    > "Rednosebob" <Rednosebob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > When I enetered the command, using NET USE ... I recieved the following
    > > messages:
    > > System error 66 has occurred.
    > >
    > > The network resource type is not correct.
    > >
    > > "Alan Morris(MSFT)" wrote:
    > >
    > > > lpt1: \\srv01\"Kyocera FS-1010N" /user: \\srv01/BOB /persistent:yes
    > > >
    > > > You need to " " the share name when it has spaces or just change the
    > > > sharename so there are not spaces. The DOS window require the quotes
    > even
    > > > when listing files with dir in the cmd window.
    > > >
    > > > you might need to specify the password but if you are logged in as BOB,
    > I do
    > > > not think you need to specify user name
    > > >

    > > > --
    > > > Alan Morris
    > > > Windows Printing Team
    > > > Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here:
    > > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];kbhowto

    > rights.
    > > >
    > > > "Rednosebob" <Rednosebob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > connected
    > if
    > > > you
    > until
    > > > I'm
    > use

    > is

    An additional note. Assuming I can get the correct commands to work, my DOS
    application that I'm using specifically wants to print to lpt1 or ltp2
    (apparently hard coded in the software). When I look at Printfil, it doesn't
    exactly say it will emulate lpt1 or 2. I did download the program, with no
    real success.

    I'm not a programmer, just a user and it's extemely disappointing that it
    has taken almost a month to solve this problem. And just as disappointing,
    Microsoft didn't think about us little guys when they upgraded their
    operating systems. I can remember when you bought a computer or an upgrade
    it would come with a manual. Difficult at times to totally understand but at
    least it was something. Now when you buy a PC or an upgrade you don't get
    anything to help you.

    Sorry, but I had to vent a little.

    "Rednosebob" wrote:

    > I'm still not getting there. Below is what I enetered and what was displayed:
    >
    > C:\>net share
    >
    > Share name Resource Remark

    > print$ C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers
    > Printer Drivers
    > IPC$ Remote IPC
    > SharedDocs C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\ALL USERS\DOCUMENTS
    >
    > Lexmark USB-LexmarkX84-X85 Spooled Lexmark
    > The command completed successfully.
    >
    > C:\>
    >
    > I don't know if any of that makes sense, but one thing I saw was that the
    > Network printer (Kyocera FS-1010N) was not displayed. But I have to tell
    > you, I've been printing all morning to it through our network.
    >
    > Bob
    >

    > "Alan Morris(MSFT)" wrote:
    >
    > > Error 66 means the network share cannot be found. Is the firewall disabled?
    > > If you type net share can you view the printer sharename
    > >
    > > net share
    > >
    > > Share name Resource Remark
    > > ---
    > > C$ C:\ Default share
    > > E$ E:\ Default share
    > > IPC$ Remote IPC
    > > HPDesign npi94e8ed Spooled HP DesignJet 750C+ (E/A0) by HP
    > > nec NPI3fdb74 Spooled nec
    > > RicohAP3 IP_157.56.28.57 Spooled RicohAP3800C PS
    > > Xerox55P XRX0000AA6A4C56 Spooled Xerox 55 PS
    > >
    > > Save some time here, change the sharename to printer. Get rid of the
    > > spaces until you get this working. You can change this back later after you
    > > get the
    > >
    > > net use lpt1: \\ntprint\nosharemane
    > > System error 66 has occurred.
    > >
    > > The network resource type is not correct.
    > > --
    > > Alan Morris
    > > Windows Printing Team
    > > Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here:
    > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];kbhowto

    > > "Rednosebob" <Rednosebob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > When I enetered the command, using NET USE ... I recieved the following
    > > > messages:
    > > > System error 66 has occurred.
    > > >
    > > > The network resource type is not correct.

    > > even

    > > I do

    > > rights.

    > > if
    > > until
    > > use

    > > is

    Bob,

    > When I look at Printfil, it doesn't
    > exactly say it will emulate lpt1 or 2.

    Printfil can capture port LPT1, LPT2 or LPT3, you just need to select it
    into the configuration dialog.

    > I did download the program, with no real success.

    Which problems did you have ?
    Did you try to ask the support team ?

    Kind regards,
    Davide Guolo
    Printfil - Windows Printing System for Applications
    http://www.guolo.com/printfil
    Odbc4All - Connection to ODBC Data Sources for any Application
    http://www.guolo.com/odbc4all

    I owe you a HUGE appology. The program that wasn't working correctly for me
    was called PrintToDOS. I tested Printfil and it worked great. For those who
    might be having the same problems as I was, I highly recommend this software
    (Printfil). It is well documented, easy to understand, at least for the
    re-directing LTP1 to my USB driven printer.

    Thanks again Davide!

    Bob

    "Davide Guolo" wrote:

    > Bob,
    >
    > > When I look at Printfil, it doesn't
    > > exactly say it will emulate lpt1 or 2.
    >
    > Printfil can capture port LPT1, LPT2 or LPT3, you just need to select it
    > into the configuration dialog.
    >
    > > I did download the program, with no real success.
    >
    > Which problems did you have ?
    > Did you try to ask the support team ?
    >
    > Kind regards,
    > Davide Guolo
    > Printfil - Windows Printing System for Applications
    > http://www.guolo.com/printfil
    > Odbc4All - Connection to ODBC Data Sources for any Application
    > http://www.guolo.com/odbc4all

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    Bob,

    don't worry. I'm glad to see you are happy with Printfil.
    You are welcome.

    Regards,
    Davide.

    "Rednosebob" <Rednosebob@discussions.microsoft.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
    > I owe you a HUGE appology. The program that wasn't working correctly for
    me
    > was called PrintToDOS. I tested Printfil and it worked great. For those
    who
    > might be having the same problems as I was, I highly recommend this
    software
    > (Printfil). It is well documented, easy to understand, at least for the
    > re-directing LTP1 to my USB driven printer.
    >
    > Thanks again Davide!
    >
    > Bob
    >

    > "Davide Guolo" wrote:
    >
    > > Bob,
    > >
    > > > When I look at Printfil, it doesn't
    > > > exactly say it will emulate lpt1 or 2.
    > >
    > > Printfil can capture port LPT1, LPT2 or LPT3, you just need to select it
    > > into the configuration dialog.
    > >
    > > > I did download the program, with no real success.
    > >
    > > Which problems did you have ?
    > > Did you try to ask the support team ?
    > >
    > > Kind regards,
    > > Davide Guolo
    > > Printfil - Windows Printing System for Applications
    > > http://www.guolo.com/printfil
    > > Odbc4All - Connection to ODBC Data Sources for any Application
    > > http://www.guolo.com/odbc4all

DOS Windows XP