I've been trying to fax and all the set up seems to have
gone fine, but whenever I try to fax I get an error
message that there is no dial tone - yet clearly there is
no problem with my modem or phone lines as I'[m on the
net now! Any ideas?

Well if you're "on the net now," then indeed there is no dial tone for fax.
Your modem can't do two things at once.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Misty" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've been trying to fax and all the set up seems to have
> gone fine, but whenever I try to fax I get an error
> message that there is no dial tone - yet clearly there is
> no problem with my modem or phone lines as I'[m on the
> net now! Any ideas?

Uhhhhhhhh, your modem cannot dial out if your on the INTERNET, because your
modem is already busy on the INTERNET. It's like trying press the gas pedal
with the brake pedal pressed.

"Misty" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've been trying to fax and all the set up seems to have
> gone fine, but whenever I try to fax I get an error
> message that there is no dial tone - yet clearly there is
> no problem with my modem or phone lines as I'[m on the
> net now! Any ideas?

Thanks for this - but obviously I didn't try and send a
fax whilst logged on! The point was that the modem has
the ability to dial out (to connect to the net) but not
the ability to dial out to send a fax.

I see. Well you fooled me.
Unfortunately, Windows XP Fax has proven to be incompatible with many common
modems and drivers, particularly older ones, even if the manufacturers claim
they are "compatible" with Windows XP. Modem incompatibility is not apparent
during installation or the initial setup. It only becomes apparent when you
first try to send or receive a fax. The Fax Service will dial or will answer
an incoming fax but then fail with any of a number of unhelpful error
messages such as "Line is busy," "There is no answer," or "Reception error."
There will be nothing in Event Viewer to give a clue as to where the problem
might lie.

These errors have been nearly impossible to track down. To do so requires
enabling both PSS and debug logging of fax transmissions, both of which
require fairly extensive registry changes. For the time being, the best
advice is to attempt to use XP Fax only if you have a modem that is listed
on the Windows XP Hardware Compatibility List and using the latest drivers.

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
> Thanks for this - but obviously I didn't try and send a
> fax whilst logged on! The point was that the modem has
> the ability to dial out (to connect to the net) but not
> the ability to dial out to send a fax.

Thanks Russ

Well it wasn't obvious, from lack of detail when you said you are on the
internet now and you have been trying to fax?