Overclocking Problem, what could be causing this?

Amair_sc

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2001
Hi,

Im trying to overclock my tbird 1400 to 1700 but I'm running into little technical difficulties. First of all, here is the other hardware im using:

Asus A7A266 m.b
512 m. pc133 crapo ram
geforce 2 pro msi
enermax 450 psu

My ram is crap, I cant get it past 140 fsb. I was wondering if that was a "acceptable" level for generic crapo? I can bump my multiplier to 11.5 n.p, as soon as I hit 12 my system gets blue screens in win 98se. Even if I up the vcore to the maximum voltage 1.85. What could be causing this multiplier screw up? Btw, I have not messed with the bridges on my chip, I am using the jumperfree mode in the bios to change the various values of the components.

Im using Sandra for cpu, multimedia as well as memory burn-ins. I use 3dmarks 2000/2001 for my video card and overall performance. Are there any other software you guys would recommend to test the stability of my system?

I have tons of patience and I would like to get this puppy to 1.7ghz eventually, thanks for any tips or advices.

AMD + Intel = lower prices for me :)

svol

Champion
Are you temps not to high?
It could be that your CPU just wont take the higher multiplier, if you buy some good RAM you might be able to get it higher.

My case has so many fans that it hovers above the ground :eek: .

Amair_sc

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2001
My temps are at 33C under full load, is the ram affected by the CPU multiplier? I thought only raising the fsb affected the RAM.

Im assuming the Athlon 1.4 can use the 12.5 Multiplier, am I wrong?

svol

Champion
The temp of your AM is affected by the FSB, buth the temp of your CPU is affected by the totaal core speed.
Not all Athlon's 1.4 GHz can get to a multiplier of 12.5 this depends on which core and stepping it has (this can be found written on the CPU) some core's aren't very good in overclocking, but there are core's (like the AYHJA) which are often very good in OC'íng and higher speeds.
It also could be that your VCore is to low, and if the mobo doesn't support higher a one you'll have to mod it to get it higher.

Amair_sc

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2001
Thanks a lot Svol :)!

Now one more question, what should the numbers on my chip read to identify it as a AYHJA? Ill open up my case and check it out tonight.

Thanks again for the help!

svol

Champion
It's writtend on the core (die) of the CPU like this:

AMD Athlontm
A1400AMS3C
<b>AYHJA</b>[bunch of numbers and letters]
Yxxxxxxxxxx or 9xxxxxxxxxx (the x are numbers)

On the place where could also stand something like AXIA, these letters say which core you have.
Yxxx or 9xxx can also affect your OC results, if I'm right Yxxx is in most cases better.

More info about cores and steppings casm be found at <A HREF="http://www.athlonoc.com/" target="_new">http://www.athlonoc.com/</A>.

G

Ive got 256k of crucial P2100 cas 2.5 DDR and I cant get it above 145 at the moment. You could also put heatsinks on the ram, add a better fan to you hsf or put a blow hole in fore some more coolnes.! I`m doing that tommorreow so I`ll let you know the results.

Spacerider

Ah,thank God for the CMOS RESET!

Amair_sc

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2001
Thanks for all the great info man :), I didnt have time to open up my case yesterday but im definetly getting into it tonight. Many thanks again to you Svol !

Amair_sc

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2001
Im watercooled so I think the cpu is going to be o.k with the temps, I will try to figure out a way to cool my crapo RAM thought, thanks for the tip :)!

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
I dont know why people insist on putting heatsinks on the ram- is the ram HOT ? my guess is that its barely warm, in which case a heatsink will be on zero use.

Next time you wave - use all your fingers