HP G55 and Windows XP - HELP!?

I upgraded from win me to win xp pro and have an hp g55 that has
decided not to work with xp. the only time it will work is when i do
the following:

delete printer
uninstall lpt1
reboot
uninstall lpt1
search for new hardware

after that it will print until the next time i turn on the computer
then i have to go through the whole thing again.

has anyone else been through this, do you have any suggestions that
don't include a different printer or going back to win me?

thanks.
4 answers Last reply
More about windows help

    prk,
    did you uninstall the printer and software prior to
    upgrading? do you have the latest software from hp? if
    not, check www.hp.com type in your model number and read
    the setup and install section, plus the software and
    drivers section. hp is picky about upgrading, also follow
    the instructions exactly...one other tip, turn off machine
    and remove power from to clear the buffer prior to
    connecting. Good luck.

    rob

    thanks but I followed the directions from hp.

    again, i am running xp pro sp1 and have the hp officejet g55.

    delete printer
    uninstall software
    reboot
    uninstall lpt1 port
    install printer software
    computer finds g55 officejet
    reboot
    printer status "disconnect"

    HELP!

    Thanks.

    "rob" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:<228e01c4aecb$39e91ff0$a301280a@phx.gbl>...
    > prk,
    > did you uninstall the printer and software prior to
    > upgrading? do you have the latest software from hp? if
    > not, check www.hp.com type in your model number and read
    > the setup and install section, plus the software and
    > drivers section. hp is picky about upgrading, also follow
    > the instructions exactly...one other tip, turn off machine
    > and remove power from to clear the buffer prior to
    > connecting. Good luck.
    >
    > rob

    i finally figured it out, and you will never believe what the solution
    was.
    it was the cable, win xp didn't like the parellel cable and when i
    changed it out to the usb all my problems were solved.
    thanks for the help.

    "rob" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:<228e01c4aecb$39e91ff0$a301280a@phx.gbl>...
    > prk,
    > did you uninstall the printer and software prior to
    > upgrading? do you have the latest software from hp? if
    > not, check www.hp.com type in your model number and read
    > the setup and install section, plus the software and
    > drivers section. hp is picky about upgrading, also follow
    > the instructions exactly...one other tip, turn off machine
    > and remove power from to clear the buffer prior to
    > connecting. Good luck.
    >
    > rob

    I'm glad that you found out the problem, one question
    though, did the driver version 3.10, support of the
    parallel and usb ports not work? are you possibly running
    3.0? here's the description of the new driver.

    HP OfficeJet G Series Windows XP Web Package Driver
    Version 3.10 Installation Instructions for both USB and
    Parallel Ports:

    There is one major new functionality of this driver as
    listed below:

    The Parallel Port is now supported in addition to USB.
    This driver replaces previous versions of the HP OfficeJet
    G Series drivers as defined below:
    For Windows XP customers this driver replaces driver
    Version 3.00."

    Just trying to find out if there is a problem with the
    3.10 for the G 55 model?
    rob

Hewlett Packard Windows XP