Problem with printing from WinXP to WinNT4Server

I have a printer connected to server mcahine running Windows NT 4 Server. I
am having problem printing from my client running Windows XP Pro and Home. I
can't add the printer on my clients. The error mentioned about driver not
compatible.

Comments and advise would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Eric
3 answers Last reply
More about problem printing winxp winnt4server

    We have had simular problems. Solved them by installing the NT-drivers
    on the clients, if not, your (NT)server can't 'see' your local (XP)
    printers.

    greetz.

    --
    M2MAdmin

    Do you have XP drivers for the printers in question? Are they compatible
    with XP?
    www.coribright.com

    "EricS" <EricS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have a printer connected to server mcahine running Windows NT 4 Server.
    > am having problem printing from my client running Windows XP Pro and Home.
    > can't add the printer on my clients. The error mentioned about driver not
    > compatible.
    >
    > Comments and advise would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Eric

    Well, not really. When I connect the printer (HP DeskJet 895Cse) to the
    client machine (XP Pro) locally, XP Pro automatically installs the printer.
    I am assuming XP Pro has the driver already.

    The problem is when the printer is connected to the Server machine running
    WinNT 4 Server (Domain Server) and the printer is shared on the server, the
    client XP Pro is unable to install the printer. Here is how I did it,

    On the client, Control Panel, Printers & Faxes, click Add printer, browse
    network printers, select the printer name on server and click OK. The error
    message displayed is "Driver is not compatible".

    Any suggestions ?

    Thanks,
    Eric.-

    "Cari (MS MVP)" wrote:

    > Do you have XP drivers for the printers in question? Are they compatible
    > with XP?
    > www.coribright.com
    >
    > "EricS" <EricS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I have a printer connected to server mcahine running Windows NT 4 Server.
    > > am having problem printing from my client running Windows XP Pro and Home.
    > > can't add the printer on my clients. The error mentioned about driver not
    > > compatible.
    > >
    > > Comments and advise would be appreciated.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Eric

Printers Servers Windows XP