hsf close to powersupply

G

i've got one main question and A bunch of little other ones.
First off i'm building a computer. When i got the case, I started putting everything together. I haven't checked yet because i'm waiting for my artic sivler II, but it looks to me I have about a 1/4 inch clearance of my powersupply. The case is really stupid set up, but i spent 40 bucks on it and I intend not to waste it. i've loooked at the case some, and basically there is no where else to put the supply, its a very small case. I was just wondering if this would hinder the cooling of my proccessor (a 1.2ghz thunderbird with a 6cu+ Volcano fan). I'm figureing it would, but by how much?

Also I was reading the manual of my motherboard (asus a7a266) and it says before you turn it on to turn all the switches off. This wasn't too descriptive but does that meanturn all the switches that control the clock frequency? Because I have it set at 1.167ghz and turning them all off would put it somewhere around 1.4ghz. Am i supposed to turn them all off and adjust it in the bios or what? Thanks, Nate

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
You probably won't have any problems with the location of the hsf/psu.
The ASUS manual is just telling you how to use jumperless setting
and using the BIOS to adjust the settings. This is the best way.

<font color=blue>Remember.... You get what you pay for. :smile: All advice here is free.</font color=blue> :wink:

G

Thanks, I'll let you know when I try it, I should get the artic silver II this week. Thanks.

My parents warned me to wear earplugs when shooting a rifle, but never using my computer.

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
Some cases are like that, it may be easier if you remove the PSU until you have the board and your drives installed. does the supply have vents at the bottom (the part by the cpu) it MAY cause probs if it doesnt, best bet is to get up and running and see how you go, once windows is installed, monitor the temp.

Next time you wave - use all your fingers

G

Well it isn't a p/s that has a fan under the bottom near the cpu. It is running a little hot, it runs between 45-55 degrees. If I experience any crashes or anything I might look into just buying a power supply with a fan underneath it. Thanks for the help

My parents warned me to wear earplugs when shooting a rifle, but never using my computer.

G

Hmm, now that I actually put some thought into it it might be because my hsf is the only fan in my whole case... Mabye i should get some more fans so it hovers like svol's.

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
It will definitely help to add case fans but I wouldn't make it
hover like svol's. You would have to chain it down.

<font color=blue>Remember.... You get what you pay for. :smile: All advice here is free.</font color=blue> :wink:

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
yeah..when it starts to hover, take out one more fan, then you will have the maximum ammount of air moving through the case...hehe

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-