WinMe to Win2k

G

How is it possible to install Win2k over WinMe. The installation will not recognise WinMe.
Also tried to install on a fresh formated drive but installation said it needs a 32 bit O/S.
Is the only way for me to have win2k to reinstall win98 and upgrade from there...
thankz

James35

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Did u try using ntfs ? or fat 32 . some ppl i have talked to seem to have problems with fat 32, once they goto ntfs seems to work, also if u have an ata 100 seems to be a butt load of heart ache with that setup, try getting an ata 66 controller and hooking it to that. see if ur problems cease then.

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
You can format your drive, then use the Win98 startup disk to get a DOS prompt. From there, access the folder to create the boot disks (on the Win2K CD). You'll need to boot with that 4-disk set you just created, and Win2K should install.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

sparks219

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
Well, if you have a proper copy of win2k..your computer should boot off the win2k cd. So you should just boot the computer up off the cd, and go into the setup program from there. Then format the harddrive with the setup program. Fat32 or NTFS, it didn't make a difference for me. Hoepfully, everything will work from there

Good luck!!

sparks :)

crapple0

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
there's a HUGE difference between FAT32 and NTFS.
1. NTFS lets you secure your files
2. NTFS manages files more efficiently, resulting in less fragmentation
3. NTFS LETS YOU SECURE YOUR FILES

~Crapple0

"the greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist"

G

Errrmmm you guys do it the hard way, why wait for 4 boot disks to chug along? do this.....

Use a win98 boot disk to gain a DOS prompt and access to the CD rom.

Next go c:/windows/smartdrv.exe run it

Then change directorys to the cd rom.

go to the i386 folder run winnt.exe and your installing.

If your knowledgeable about DOS commands copy the whole i386 directory to the partition your going to install to, and use it for your local source for the install, then you will never be asked for the CD rom again. Same thing applies to win9x

sparks219

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
I was only talking about the effect of file system on the installation of win2k. I wasn't trying to say which one is better :)

sparks