Gaming mouse+keyboard, did it make a difference?

I want some of your opinions on upgrading to a gaming mouse/keyboard. Specifically for FPS games, did it really make that much of an improvement over a regular keyboard and mouse?

Does it help that much?

Was it worth it?

Jerom

Honorable
May 15, 2012
I guess it all depends on what kind of gaming mouse and keyboard. I say that most of Steelseries and Razer gaming mouse (obviously have to be wired) are quite good, the high DPI and adjustable sensitivity allow for a tailoring to your needs improving your response time as well as uping and downing dpi on the fly is really nice for scoped in sniping.

As for the keyboard I had bad expreince with thermaltake so they are no no for me, coming back to Steelseries and Razer are quite good as well as corsair one. There isn't much need for them in FPS as you don't use more than 4-6 buttons but I find it extremely comfortable if all the buttons are remapable on the keyboard level rather than in game menu, that allows me to set up all the games I play in the same fashion easily, which helps with muscle memory and familiarizing the controls. Except for that only other things I could think of are macro keys (not really useful but occasionally nice) and lastly if the keyboard have a special setup. Like for example steelseries fang/merc or razer nostromo

for me. every upgrade is worth it. but not always just for games.
being dyslexic betting a red backlit keyboard makes typing easier as i can see the letters a little clearer which increases my typing speed. also im less prone to typos because i hit the key im aiming for more often.
for gaming there is a light difference in that the response is more immediate but its hardly a huge difference . things like double tap are easier and faster on a mechanical keyboard because of where the actuation point is. being half way down the depress instead of at the bottom means it takes roughly half as long to double tap. not a huge amount but it can mean the difference of making it to cover and dying as you get there.

in most cases id probably say if you dont have a high end pc then dont buy a high end keyboard as it will bring nothing to the table. if you want quality and longevity from your keyboard then get a decent mechanical 1 that doesnt have things like active gaming matrix which optimise's half a dozen keys at the expense of the rest of the keyboard. like all the razer 1s do. they are garbage... you cant remap the game matrix on the razer so if your like me and often remap the wasd to esdf you end up with keys that dont register because you suddenly dropped from 6 key roll over to 3. most dome keyboard used for gaming manage 6 key roll over but razer screwed the pooch with there gaming matrix on the mechanical keyboards.

keyboards like mine show there true colours when you play a game like tekken or street fighter. having full nkrol means i can hit 9-10-11 keys at 1s and they all register which means multicombos and a definite advantage over sum1 with 6krol or less. fps games high end keyboards just give you the feel that your playing well even if your not. my hands dont cramp any more from having to fight the constant push of the rubber domes and the keys are much lighter to depress... so yes overall my opinion on mechanical keyboards is they are better and do improve your overall game feel even if they dont help your over all score.

mice. needing high dpi is a bit of a misnomer. you dont need 6400dpi but it does reduce prediction which makes aiming a lot more accurate and removing things like angle snapping. running your mouse at 1600 dpi is about as much as most will need for fps. maybe 2000 max but i find 1600-1900 works best for me. having separate dpi for the x and y is also a good idea. you can then match the mouse to the ppi of your screen so your always in the middle of a pixel. poll rate is probably more important than dpi over all. 500-1000 is essential if you want smooth fast response. you wont notice anything over 500 but if you run a lot of usb peripherals the higher poll rate means it will always respond quickly. basically your mouse has to be able to react as quickly as you do and you react quicker than .8 of a second which is what 125 ms poll rate is. a typical human reacts at about half that so in theory 250ms should be enough but i found it is still a little slow for me.

is it essential to pay £70-$100 for a mouse? no... you can get a very good mouse for less than half that. you are buying the other features over and above the dpi and poll rate when you pay that much... the microsoft habu for instance was a good mouse, £28, logitech g5 £30 the list goes on...
the rat 7 has issues that shouldn't exist in such a pricey mouse but they do so no high price says nothing about the mouses ability to react well and be accurate.
i would say you get what you pay for but the reality is if its marked gamer gear you will pay 30% more than its worth and often get lesser quality than standard office equipment...

wr6133

Feb 10, 2012
Yes and No

My RAT 5 mouse makes a difference. The ability to tailor the DPI to my preference and having programmable buttons does aid alot.

My Sidewinder x4 Keyboard makes no difference I dont use the macros, backlighting is pointless (who looks at the keys while in an FPS) and as I never had a ghosting issue with my old digital media pro the addition of anti ghosting on the x4 goes unnoticed.

it goes unnoticed because your x4 can handle up to 26 simultaneous key presses.
the benefit of this is 2 of you can play on 1 keyboard if your game allows it.
there aint many that do but some older 1s and kids games do. at least you know you will never have a ghosting problem. unlike owners of the razer black widow.

kr0wn

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012
What To Look For In The Best Gamer Mouse.

Players who only play computer games once in a while don't need anything more than a normal mouse. However, if you are someone who uses most of their spare time playing PC games on-line, or even in single player mode, then you are better off getting the best gaming available and that suits your needs. Read some great reviews on the hottest mice available at gamer-mouse.com. This will give you a greater edge, and the increased control you get over your gaming will considerably better the level of fun as well. After all, everyone likes to win!

Both speed and precision are the deciding factors that make up the difference between a mouse that is designed for gamers and regular users. The speed of a particular mouse is usually determined by the period of time between 2 updates, which is referred to as the response time. The time that passes from moving the mouse to the response on the computer. Precision is a vital aspect as well. This is measured in DPI, and it ideally should be as high as possible. When looking for the best gaming mice on the market, you should look for one that has at least 3,500 DPI. Gamer-mouse.com stocks an extensive range of gaming mice and has loads of reviews for each model to assist you to decide which model is best for you.

Gamer mice will either come in the form of a round device that is designed to be controlled with the fingers, or it can be more ergonomic and flatter which is designed to accommodate your entire palm. A smaller mouse is more recommended for people who play first person shooter games that require fast and accurate control. A more flatter mouse however, would be better for gamers who play online for many hours a day so that their hands can stay in a more natural position.

Finally you need to choose whether you want a corded or a wireless mouse. Gamer-Mouse.com has tons of reviews on both. While wireless mice used to be too long in response times years ago, wireless technology is more advanced, which makes them just as fast as their corded counterparts. However, wireless mice give you a better sense of freedom, as you will no longer feel restricted and tied to the PC.

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011

Two things. The "high dpi" mice (that go to 5600 and beyond) are beyond what anyone realistically uses barring enormous resolution setups (tri monitor or more), and most FPS players kind of feel the same about switching DPI on the fly, that if you did not learn to play games with that function it will more than likely hurt your accuracy than help it because consistency is one of the most important aspects to twitch shooting.

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011

Why? Most people don't use a DPI beyond 1800 comfortably. I'm on the abnormally high-dpi end of the scale for good FPS gamers, at 2300 comfort zone. I don't know anyone who plays games on a 1080 monitor with DPI set to 3500, and with the turret-speed being so fast in BF3 you can't use that as an excuse.

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011

This too. But even independent of this, on the slowest settings it handles very fast compared to BFBC2, which people used to use as a justification for high dpi-switching being a somehow important mouse mechanic.

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011

Go into Microcenter and hold it, if you can. The most important factor in selecting a mouse is comfort.

i found my G500 slides a lot nicer than my old intellimouse, but agree with above, i'm at 1800 dpi above that and its too twitchy, i'm using a really short movement too, perhaps 2-3inches for 360deg ish

feel is all important

velosteraptor

Honorable
Jul 20, 2012
For me, the biggest difference was moving to a mechanical keyboard. The feel of the keys and the 'click' is the most satisfying feeling. I also found my typing speed actually increased in moving to mechanical. I also find backlit keys to be extremely helpful in a dark room.

I will never go back to a regular keyboard now. :sol:

I find with "gaming mice" i always turn the DPI way down anyway.. its all about finding a mouse that fits your hand

don't tell me that you got blues and that you actually stare at your keyboard while typing...