Looking for a Gaming PC Headset - CA

hconduc

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
I'm looking for a good headset. I'm not sure which brand to go with because im not sure of any specific models are more trusted then others or if they're just built to last

http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?cPath=16_760

My budget is pretty much anyway over $50 after tax to a reasonable amount. I'm not so serious about it that I require a $200 headset. I play games like C&C and ARMA 2. I'm most likely going to stop by the store to pick up a headset I'd like to see what the community would advice first

Solution
There's two ends of this stick, there are two crowds in this court: one will tell you to spend lots of money on one of the most expensive and advanced headsets out there, that boats itself with features, quality and advantage that it gives you in games; others will tell you that all those expensive gaming headsets are a load of marketing bull, get good quality headphones that you like and purchase a clip-on or standup mic separately, that way you can purchase two quality products instead of settling for marketing gimmicks of "gaming headests"

I don't know if you can tell, but I'm with the latter. I believe into buying a quality headset and a quality microphone, both of which can be had for cheaper than this "gaming headset." The major...
There's two ends of this stick, there are two crowds in this court: one will tell you to spend lots of money on one of the most expensive and advanced headsets out there, that boats itself with features, quality and advantage that it gives you in games; others will tell you that all those expensive gaming headsets are a load of marketing bull, get good quality headphones that you like and purchase a clip-on or standup mic separately, that way you can purchase two quality products instead of settling for marketing gimmicks of "gaming headests"

I don't know if you can tell, but I'm with the latter. I believe into buying a quality headset and a quality microphone, both of which can be had for cheaper than this "gaming headset." The major advantage of having the two separately is, you can use both devices separately and if one of them breaks they can be replaced separately. On a gaming headset, if mic breaks, but headphones still working fine, well guess what you have to replace the whole thing.

well anyway, not to rant too much, but I believe that if you have an mp3 player or listen to music at all that you should have idea what headphones you prefer, so just get a pair of those. As for the mic, the one that's been recommended on these boards numerous times is the zalman microphone (clip-on). It's only about $10 but gives you good quality for the money.

Solution
a lot of people dont get that theres no real difference between high end audiophile and a good set of gaming grade headphones when it comes to games.
the audiophile headgear may offer 5-50 khz like the grado gs1000's. debatably the best headset you can get. but if your listening to a cd on say a pair technica ATH-A700X 5-35khz you wont actually hear much of a difference. because the source is 16bit 48khz max. most decent gaming gear covers a range of 8-30khz so you can see its a tighter range but that doesnt actually reduce the sound quality because most games dont use 96khz samples. most use much lower 22-48khz because there is a space requirement as well as a quality requirement. this is why for gaming i wont recommend audiophile headsets because there just not needed.

its a different matter if your gonna use them for general use not just gaming then i would consider a broader range because they will be used for the purpose there designed.
so you can see i dont just say get the gear designed for the task your gonna use it for, just to argue. i have a very specific reason for it.
if the audio was there and the headset could take advantage broader frequency then yes you would notice the difference but because its not there you wont. if anything you may actually notice its not there with higher quality headgear. its not because i dont rate audio gear its just not needed and to be honest a £100 headset no matter what its labeled as should sound great. if it doesnt then theres a problem with the design not the label.

hconduc

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011

I ended up buying the Logitech G35 It was ither that or the Corsair 2000 or the Logitech G930. So far a happy camper, I dont know much about headphones to actually throw over around 2 bills for a headset. Yet researching always helps before buying a product which is what I usually do.