slow printing after sp2

I have a user who installed Windows XP Service Pack 2 and
printing is now measurabley slower. I am using an HP
5000N printer. Also, there are these anoying prompts that
come up regarding the document print job status when
printing from microsoft products. Please help. Thank you
in advance for your help.
2 answers Last reply
More about slow printing

    There is a registry hack to get rid of the balloon messages telling
    you the print job is done:

    Disabling the network print notification balloon windows in Windows XP
    SP2

    After installation of Windows XP Service Pack 2, a balloon window is
    displayed every time a print job is sent to a networked printer
    informing the user that the job has been spooled succesfully. You may
    wish to disable this option.
    To disable the network print notification balloon windows in Windows
    XP SP2:

    Use a registry editing tool to navigate to the following key:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Printers\Settings

    Change the value with the following details:
    Data Type: DWORD
    Value Name: EnableBalloonNotificationsRemote
    Value: 0

    Stop and restart the spooler service for the change to take effect

    Registry Settings Summary

    Key Name HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Printers\Settings
    Value Name EnableBalloonNotificationsRemote
    Value Type REG_DWORD
    Value Data 0x00000000

    "Jonathan Roundy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:<42ad01c4afaf$86d61090$a601280a@phx.gbl>...
    > I have a user who installed Windows XP Service Pack 2 and
    > printing is now measurabley slower. I am using an HP
    > 5000N printer. Also, there are these anoying prompts that
    > come up regarding the document print job status when
    > printing from microsoft products. Please help. Thank you
    > in advance for your help.

    Unfortunately, haven't yet found a fix for the slowness, or even what
    is causing it... Anyone?

    "Jonathan Roundy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:<42ad01c4afaf$86d61090$a601280a@phx.gbl>...
    > I have a user who installed Windows XP Service Pack 2 and
    > printing is now measurabley slower. I am using an HP
    > 5000N printer. Also, there are these anoying prompts that
    > come up regarding the document print job status when
    > printing from microsoft products. Please help. Thank you
    > in advance for your help.

Hewlett Packard Microsoft Windows XP