Upgraded AMD-K6-2 380 to 533, need jumper settings

Last response: in Computer Brands
December 27, 2004 2:00:43 AM

I have a Compaq Presario 5225 computer. It came with an AMD K6-2 380
processor. Recently I replaced the processor with an AMD K6-2 533
processor I obtained off of EBay. It works except that the computer
still thinks it is a 380.

From reading other posts, it seems I need to change the jumper
settings. I'll need some help in doing this, as I have no idea what
changes to make. The user manual from Compaq has no info about jumper
settings. In fact, they say in the manual that if you want to upgrade
the processor, an authorized Compaq service technician should do it.
They want to keep their customers dumb and happy, I suppose. There was
also no sticker or label inside the case which provided jumper
information.

I downloaded and ran the Everest Home Edition, and here is what it
tells me:

CPU Type: AMD K6-2, 380 MHz (4 x 95)
Motherboard Name: Compaq Compaq PC
Chipset: VIA VT82C598 Apollo MVP3

In the DMI section under Processor, it tells me this:

Manufacturer: AuthenticAMD
Version: AMD-K6-2
External Clock: 100 MHz
Maximum Clock: 550 MHz
Current Clock: 380 MHz

On the outside of both the old 380 chip and the new 533 chip was
stamped the following:

2.2V Core / 3.3 V I/O

But Everest tells me that the Core Voltage on the new chip is 2.2-2.4
V.

The 380 chip has the letters AFR after the AMD-K6-2/380, but the 533
chip has the letters AFX after the AMD-K6-2/533. The info on EBay
indicated that the chip could run at 550 MHz even though it is marked
533 MHz.

I popped the case open and examined the motherboard for the jumpers.
I'll attempt to describe the layout here. When the side of the computer
case containing the motherboard is removed and laid flat, you are
looking at the board from top to bottom. From this view, the jumpers
next to the Socket 7 CPU are on the right side.

On the lower right side of the socket, there are two jumpers with three
pins each, and they run parallel to the CPU socket. The innermost jumper
(closest to the CPU) is labeled JCK2. The one immediately to its right
is labeled JCK1. Each jumper has three pins. JCK2 has the bottom two
pins jumpered, while JCK1 has the top two pins jumpered.

Then as we move up and a little more to the right, there is JCK3, a
jumper with only two pins, and it is jumpered. I assume nothing needs
to be done to this one.

Above it, there is a round cylindral thing sticking out, and then above
it there are three more jumpers. These three have only two pins each,
and unlike the others, they run perpendicular to the CPU. They are
located at the top right side of the CPU socket. From bottom to top,
and from right to left, they are labeled 1 - 2, JP1 - <blank>, and 5 -
6. The bottom jumper (labeled 1 - 2 from right to left) has a jumper
pin on it, as does the top jumper (labeled 5 - 6 from right to left).
But the middle jumper (labeled JP1) is open and unjumpered.

So my question is what changes do I need to make in order for my
computer to realize that it now has a 533 CPU in it? And can it run at
550? The bus is 95 Mhz on the motherboard.

While I'm at it, I have another question. The CPU fan on top of the
heat sink is made by Aavid, model AFB0512MA. It also has DC 12 and 0.15
A printed on it's label. Is this fan sufficient enough to properly cool
this faster processor? It is the same fan that came with the computer.

Thanks in advance.

--
Road_Man
Anonymous

Here is all I can tell you:

The 380MHz speed is accomplished by 95x4, a 95MHz bus speed and a clock
multiplier of 4.0.

The 533MHz speed is accomplished by 95x5.5, a clock multiplier of 5.5.

There are 8 possible clock multiplier settings for the K6-2. The old original
K6-2 ranged from 2.0 to 5.5. The new one from 2.5 to 6.0. Either way the
jumper settings would be the same for a clock mulitplier of 5.5, required by the
K6-2/533.

You need to look for a group of three two-pin headers, with only the center
jumper set, i.e. with a jumper block capping both pins.

The pins will arranged in a 3x2 grid like this:

oOo
oOo

where the big O's indicate the pair of pins covered by a jumper.

Now, experiment a bit. Place a jumper block on ONE of the other pair of pins.
This will give you the desired result of 5.5x and 533MHz speed or it will not.
If it does, you are done. If not, change the jumper to the other pair of pins.

If the motherboard is like most Super Socket 7 motherboards, it also has jumpers
for bus speed, typically 66, 75, 83, 90, 95, and 100Mhz. Generic boards not in
name brand systems have other jumper settings to overclock the bus speed,
something you don't want to do.

Caveats:

If you find several 3x2 groups of pins, don't do anything until somebody is able
to tell you which group controls clock multiplier.

Replace the current heat sink/fan with a new one. If one is not available to
you, clean thoroughly the one you have now. Use a can of compressed air to do
so. Yes, a 533MHz CPU consumes roughly 30% more wattage than the 380MHz one,
and produces about 30% more heat.

Use thermal paste between CPU and heat sink.

Clean the interior of the case thoroughly, again using a can of compressed air
and a soft artist's brush to get into corners. Clean the power supply as well,
blasting compressed air inside it to shake loose all the dirt.

That's the best I can do without actually seeing the board and not having any
helpful documentation, which Compaq probably never provided anyway.

.... Ben Myers

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 23:00:43 +0000, Road_Man
<Road_Man.1hw9ga@news.computerbanter.com> wrote:

> [...]
>and unlike the others, they run perpendicular to the CPU. They are
>located at the top right side of the CPU socket. From bottom to top,
>and from right to left, they are labeled 1 - 2, JP1 - <blank>, and 5 -
>6. The bottom jumper (labeled 1 - 2 from right to left) has a jumper
>pin on it, as does the top jumper (labeled 5 - 6 from right to left).
>But the middle jumper (labeled JP1) is open and unjumpered.
>
>So my question is what changes do I need to make in order for my
>computer to realize that it now has a 533 CPU in it? And can it run at
>550? The bus is 95 Mhz on the motherboard.
>
>While I'm at it, I have another question. The CPU fan on top of the
>heat sink is made by Aavid, model AFB0512MA. It also has DC 12 and 0.15
>A printed on it's label. Is this fan sufficient enough to properly cool
>this faster processor? It is the same fan that came with the computer.

December 27, 2004 9:55:42 AM

You are going to love this page. The full settings and jumper layout of the
5225 board are there.

http://mobokive.dyndns.org/Archive/Compaq/Presario/Pres...

It looks to me that the settings are...

JCK 3 remains the same which is pins 1-2

JP 1 which is above the processor and left of JCK 3 is set as follows...

the jumper for pins 3-4 and 5-6 are the same. Simply remove the jumper for
1-2 which is currently on. Removing the jumper sets it to off and that
should do it. The CPU will run at 523 but close enough. And print out that
page for your future reference.

Regards,
John O.

"Road_Man" <Road_Man.1hw9ga@news.computerbanter.com> wrote in message

> I have a Compaq Presario 5225 computer. It came with an AMD K6-2 380
> processor. Recently I replaced the processor with an AMD K6-2 533
> processor I obtained off of EBay. It works except that the computer
> still thinks it is a 380.
Related resources
December 27, 2004 10:03:56 AM

Oh and the whole jumper is JP1 not just the one set of pins as you can see
in the diagram. And the fan should work but you should be able to pick one
up locally if you feel you need more cooling.

> [...]

> and unlike the others, they run perpendicular to the CPU. They are
> located at the top right side of the CPU socket. From bottom to top,
> and from right to left, they are labeled 1 - 2, JP1 - <blank>, and 5 -
> 6. The bottom jumper (labeled 1 - 2 from right to left) has a jumper
> pin on it, as does the top jumper (labeled 5 - 6 from right to left).
> But the middle jumper (labeled JP1) is open and unjumpered.
>
> So my question is what changes do I need to make in order for my
> computer to realize that it now has a 533 CPU in it? And can it run at
> 550? The bus is 95 Mhz on the motherboard.
>
> While I'm at it, I have another question. The CPU fan on top of the
> heat sink is made by Aavid, model AFB0512MA. It also has DC 12 and 0.15
> A printed on it's label. Is this fan sufficient enough to properly cool
> this faster processor? It is the same fan that came with the computer.

Anonymous
December 27, 2004 4:39:14 PM

Interesting. Looks like the Mitac motherboard folks inverted the meaning of the
CLKMUL jumpers.

Wow! That's quite a web site of motherboard info! Invaluable. I bookmarked
it. Thank you... Ben

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 06:55:42 -0500, "JJ" <jj@nospam.ca> wrote:

>You are going to love this page. The full settings and jumper layout of the
>5225 board are there.
>
>http://mobokive.dyndns.org/Archive/Compaq/Presario/Pres...
>
>It looks to me that the settings are...
>
>JCK 3 remains the same which is pins 1-2
>
>JP 1 which is above the processor and left of JCK 3 is set as follows...
>
>the jumper for pins 3-4 and 5-6 are the same. Simply remove the jumper for
>1-2 which is currently on. Removing the jumper sets it to off and that
>should do it. The CPU will run at 523 but close enough. And print out that
>page for your future reference.
>
>Regards,
>John O.
>
>"Road_Man" <Road_Man.1hw9ga@news.computerbanter.com> wrote in message
>>
>> I have a Compaq Presario 5225 computer. It came with an AMD K6-2 380
>> processor. Recently I replaced the processor with an AMD K6-2 533
>> processor I obtained off of EBay. It works except that the computer
>> still thinks it is a 380.

December 27, 2004 5:28:42 PM

Set JP1, the clock multiplier jumper (Pins 1-2/3-4/5-6) to OFF/OFF/ON. Set
the bus speed jumper JCK3 toON (jumper pins 1-2). You will also need to set
JP3 to the correct core voltage setting for the 533 as follows:

JP3 (CPU core voltage select)

VCC2H/L# low 2.0 2.1 2.2* 2.3± 2.4 2.5 2.6 2.7
VCC2H/L# high 2.8 2.9 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5
pins 1-2 off on off on off on off on
pins 3-4 off off on on off off on on
pins 5-6 off off off off on on on on

HH