Loading times issue?

ClownWalker

Honorable
Jun 21, 2012
Hey guys, I just build my first gaming PC. I played Deus Ex Human Revolution at Max settings and the loading times were bad. It was almost 30 seconds to 1 minute for each loading screen. But when I played Rainbow Six Vegas 2, the loading times were about 3 seconds long. In Assassin's Creed Brotherhood, I had loading times of about 5 seconds.

So I'm wondering if my hard drive or processor may be the issue or maybe somes games are more demanding, but usually, I think PC games are suppose to have smaller loading times than on consoles. I also heard that gaming with a Dual-Core CPU like the i3-2120 in coop with a high-end GPU like the HD 6870 had better performance than gaming with a High-end CPU with a smaller GPU.

Here are my specifications :
- CPU : Intel Core i3-2120 3.3 Ghz
- GPU : Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 1GB DDR5
- HDD : Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7200RPM SATA III 6Gb/s 64MB Cache.

So what do you guys think? Would one of my components be a problem for loading times in games?

Solution
Load times also vary by game. So you saying load times for X game are 45 seconds but A and B games are far less isn't really relevant. Some games are notorious for horrible load times. The only way you can really compare apples to apples is if you have someone with a very similiar build to yours get much faster load times.

FYI, 30 second load times are considered acceptable. So you saying "oh my god, the load times are SO long" and they're 30-45 seconds doesn't necessarily mean there's a problem. It just means they are long. You saying other games load in 5-10 seconds just means you're spoilt. :p

ClownWalker

Honorable
Jun 21, 2012

Well, that's the point. I don't have the money for an SSD right now. I have 8GB of ram, which I think, is enough. I'm thinking that buy replacing my Dual-Core CPU i3 by a Quad-Core i5, it might get a little faster. So, the HDD is the only major option for better speed results?

wombat_tg

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2010
Load times also vary by game. So you saying load times for X game are 45 seconds but A and B games are far less isn't really relevant. Some games are notorious for horrible load times. The only way you can really compare apples to apples is if you have someone with a very similiar build to yours get much faster load times.

FYI, 30 second load times are considered acceptable. So you saying "oh my god, the load times are SO long" and they're 30-45 seconds doesn't necessarily mean there's a problem. It just means they are long. You saying other games load in 5-10 seconds just means you're spoilt. :p

Solution
each partition will slow down your hdd by 10% but you will need a minimum of 2, 1 for install and the other to separate your storage. not seperating them will lead to much greater fragmentation. 200gigs for every 1tb you have, is about as much as you will need for the main partition.

if you have 2 or more drives and run a raid 0 you will get much faster load times. currently you will likely be getting 70-90mb but your drive is pretty slow even for a 7200rpm drive when you compare it to 120-140 of a spin point f3 (the fastest currently available at 7200rpm).
not only will you get faster load times you will also reduce any texture pop that some games have (RAGE). but on the most part what your seeing is correct.
R6v2 is an older game that doesnt have a huge range of high rez textures and this is why the load times are low. deus x on the other hand uses huge multi layered textures and this will result in longer load times, especially if you only have 1 medium/slow drive.

also the fuller your partition gets the slower the drive will respond so make sure your drive is as clean and well ordered as you can get it. use a good defrag tool not just windows own. something like auslogics defrag or defraggler.

ClownWalker

Honorable
Jun 21, 2012

thank you very much! that's what i thought, and since i didn't update most of them, that may be the problem.

Well, my build is fresh as new. I've been using my computer (this means my HDD too) for a week only. So, the HDD is still new and I think it needs to be defragmented.