I've spent most of my day looking for answers of how to work around the
problem of canonical phone numbers required by the dialing of Outlook 2000,
XP, or 2003 and/or Microsoft Fax or Symantec Winfax SE.

I have a client that needs to send out 100+ faxes every night as part of a
distribution list. When using Outlook 2000 with Winfax SE from the fax
"printer" function out of Word (2000), I can't get it to fax to a
distribution list of local phone numbers without asking for verification of
every one. The only way to keep it from doing this is to have the numbers
in canonical format which for our phone companies here is ONLY used for long
distance (local is 7 digit dialing).

Is there any way to make either Winfax SE or MS Windows Fax (in XP Pro) fax
to a distribution list using 7 digit numbers? Especially since the Dialing
Rules tools no longer apply to the faxing tools (except for dialing a number
for an outside line).

Thanks in advance,
Patrick M. Ring

You must use canonical format to keep WinFax SE from prompting.
You must use canonical format for Windows XP Fax to process dialing rules.
Why can't you use canonical format and just configure your dialing rules
correctly?
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Patrick Ring" <pring@lwhllcnospam..com> wrote in message
> I've spent most of my day looking for answers of how to work around the
> problem of canonical phone numbers required by the dialing of Outlook
> 2000,
> XP, or 2003 and/or Microsoft Fax or Symantec Winfax SE.
>
> I have a client that needs to send out 100+ faxes every night as part of a
> distribution list. When using Outlook 2000 with Winfax SE from the fax
> "printer" function out of Word (2000), I can't get it to fax to a
> distribution list of local phone numbers without asking for verification
> of
> every one. The only way to keep it from doing this is to have the numbers
> in canonical format which for our phone companies here is ONLY used for
> long
> distance (local is 7 digit dialing).
>
> Is there any way to make either Winfax SE or MS Windows Fax (in XP Pro)
> fax
> to a distribution list using 7 digit numbers? Especially since the
> Dialing
> Rules tools no longer apply to the faxing tools (except for dialing a
> number
> for an outside line).
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Patrick M. Ring

I had originally started down the path of canonically formated numbers and
tried setting up rules, but it kept wanting to dial the area (and
region/country code).
I could not (tried many combinations) get the dialing rules to take out the
local area code. The only thing the dialing rules did right was to dial "9"
to get an outside line at the client's location. But I could not seem to
figure out how to make it treat our area code as local with 7-digit dialing
(we can't use 10-digit here unless it's long distance and all the faxes sent
out are local only).

What might I be missing in the dialing rules? OR is there a really good
reference on setting up the new versions of dialing rules (in XP)? I used
to do this all the time in 95/98, and nothing I used to know seems to work
anymore.

Thanks in advance,
Patrick M. Ring

> You must use canonical format to keep WinFax SE from prompting.
> You must use canonical format for Windows XP Fax to process dialing rules.
> Why can't you use canonical format and just configure your dialing rules
> correctly?
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "Patrick Ring" <pring@lwhllcnospam..com> wrote in message
> > I've spent most of my day looking for answers of how to work around the
> > problem of canonical phone numbers required by the dialing of Outlook
> > 2000,
> > XP, or 2003 and/or Microsoft Fax or Symantec Winfax SE.
> >
> > I have a client that needs to send out 100+ faxes every night as part of
> > distribution list. When using Outlook 2000 with Winfax SE from the fax
> > "printer" function out of Word (2000), I can't get it to fax to a
> > distribution list of local phone numbers without asking for verification
> > of
> > every one. The only way to keep it from doing this is to have the
numbers
> > in canonical format which for our phone companies here is ONLY used for

> > long
> > distance (local is 7 digit dialing).
> >
> > Is there any way to make either Winfax SE or MS Windows Fax (in XP Pro)
> > fax
> > to a distribution list using 7 digit numbers? Especially since the
> > Dialing
> > Rules tools no longer apply to the faxing tools (except for dialing a
> > number
> > for an outside line).
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> > Patrick M. Ring

First, clarify which of these fax programs you are using.
Dialing rules aren't really in the purview of this group, but if you want
you can post your rule and what you needed it to do (be sure to include your
OS) and someone familiar with dialing rules can probably help you.
--
>I had originally started down the path of canonically formated numbers and
> tried setting up rules, but it kept wanting to dial the area (and
> region/country code).
> I could not (tried many combinations) get the dialing rules to take out
> the
> local area code. The only thing the dialing rules did right was to dial
> "9"
> to get an outside line at the client's location. But I could not seem to
> figure out how to make it treat our area code as local with 7-digit
> dialing
> (we can't use 10-digit here unless it's long distance and all the faxes
> sent
> out are local only).
>
> What might I be missing in the dialing rules? OR is there a really good
> reference on setting up the new versions of dialing rules (in XP)? I used
> to do this all the time in 95/98, and nothing I used to know seems to work
> anymore.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Patrick M. Ring
>
> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@mvps.org> wrote in message
>> You must use canonical format to keep WinFax SE from prompting.
>> You must use canonical format for Windows XP Fax to process dialing
>> rules.
>> Why can't you use canonical format and just configure your dialing rules
>> correctly?
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "Patrick Ring" <pring@lwhllcnospam..com> wrote in message
>> > I've spent most of my day looking for answers of how to work around the
>> > problem of canonical phone numbers required by the dialing of Outlook
>> > 2000,
>> > XP, or 2003 and/or Microsoft Fax or Symantec Winfax SE.
>> >
>> > I have a client that needs to send out 100+ faxes every night as part
>> > of
>> > distribution list. When using Outlook 2000 with Winfax SE from the fax
>> > "printer" function out of Word (2000), I can't get it to fax to a
>> > distribution list of local phone numbers without asking for
>> > verification
>> > of
>> > every one. The only way to keep it from doing this is to have the
> numbers
>> > in canonical format which for our phone companies here is ONLY used for
>
>> > long
>> > distance (local is 7 digit dialing).
>> >
>> > Is there any way to make either Winfax SE or MS Windows Fax (in XP Pro)
>> > fax
>> > to a distribution list using 7 digit numbers? Especially since the
>> > Dialing
>> > Rules tools no longer apply to the faxing tools (except for dialing a
>> > number
>> > for an outside line).
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance,
>> > Patrick M. Ring