Overclocking An Athlon 1.1Ghz C

G

I have an AMD Athlon 1.1Ghz C CPU on an ASUS A7V-133 Motherboard with a Tornado WIN-7528 fan and heatsink combination and with 128 Mb of PC-133 RAM. I was wondering, how high can I safely overclock my system to without adding other cooling systems?

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well, the answer is it kinda depends...

As far as heat, how hot are you running now? if you're in the low 40's at 1.1 GHz. then you've got some headroom with that HSF combination. If you're already pushing up into the 50's, get a new cooling solution before you push it.

As for how far that chip will go, that depends on the stepping. You can read about them here -
http://www.athlonoc.com/stepmadness.php

Finally, is your chip unlocked? If not, you'd have a much better chance of making higher numbers if you unlock the L1 bridges allowing you to change the multiplier.

The A7V133 can go as high as you like. 12.5x is the max multiplier but you can combine that with the FSB speed to get some large overclocks. Stay away from the current BIOS offered on the Asus web site however... Using the 1003a BIOS I easily push my 1.4 GHz. chip to 1.55 GHz. on standard voltage. Upgrade to the 1007 BIOS and half the time it won't run at 1.4 GHz!

Scout

G

Well my cpu temp is about 43 degrees celcius but im not sure about my cpu being unlocked. but I might try overclocking a little bit at a time. anyways, thanks for your help.

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have the same board as yours, and I have been running my TBird 1000C at 1.4GHz for more than haf of a year with Volcano 6Cu-4500RPM (you definitely need to unlock your CPU in order to adjust its multiplier).

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.