getting the noise down - disabling fans

nikolajhendel

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2001
Hi there
On my quest to keep the comp. quiet i've wondered if the following is possible (without melting down the whole system):
Disabling the fan on the motherboard - Asus A7V266E (north bridge if I remember correctly)
Disabling the fan on the gfx-card - Asus v7700 deluxe (geforce 2 gts)

TIA
Nick

The only way I heat up my house is by overclocking my cpu :tongue:

dhlucke

Polypheme
Would NOT recommend doing that. If anything buy a larger and better ventilated case. Combine that with a good HSF (with a quiet 60mm fan instead of the noisy 80mm monsters), and a good 80mm intake and outtake and you should be fine.

Keep in mind I don't know what you have, but you should be able to keep any computer quiet if you aren't overclocking.

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
couldnt he also get some passive heatsinks MADE to run on stuff like he has, and cool it efficiently..
i think that zalman makes some. they have this one for the northbridge that is a tall aluminum heatsink that should keep it running in the green.
they also make a big copper passive heatsink for the video card. only thing is, it might not fit on the video card.
you have to make sure it will fit before you buy it.
but it is possible to passively cool the video card and the chipset. it isnt really a good idea to passively cool the cpu, the zalmann kinda sucks...
even with the passive cooling, you will need some air moving in the system, so you might want to look into a nice quiet 80mm fan that moves a lot of air.

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

Go <A HREF="http://www.quietpc.com/products.html" target="_new">here</A> for a range of quiet products.

I suggest you use as many case fans as you feel you can. Several quiet fans can do more cooling at less noise than one or two normal fans.

I too <b>strongly</b> suggest you do not disable any chipset or PCI card fans. These fans cools specific parts which are system critical. Similar to the HSF on your CPU. Would you disable that?

Try to set up a system with good airflow through the case. If you can, go to a larger tower case, which gives you more options.

<b><font color=blue>~scribble~</font color=blue></b> :wink: <A HREF="http://www.ud.com/home.htm" target="_new">Help cure cancer.</A>

lasse

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You could put in some potentiometer to adjust fan speed.

I had some potentiometer laying around. I don't know the values. Probably somewhere between 1-50 K ohm.

I cut the red wire to each fan and connected potentiometer.
I noticed that the fan speed was not that important compare to having several fans that moved air.
I have adjusted them so that the fan runs as slow as possible but hight enough so I know that it will always start.
It works fine and only increasd case temperature by 2 degress celsius and the cpu with 4-5 degress (also running low speed)

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
1k ohms is too many ohms for any fan that i can think someone would put in their case.
50k ohms is WAYY too many.
1k ohms is 10 times as many as you would want to have.
right now i am running a 25ohm rheostat(portentiometer). i also have a switch next to that.
unfortunately, my problem is that the rheostat is not rated for my fan and gets hot when i turn it all the way down.
someone told me that if i put a voltage regulator in there, the voltage regulator would take the heat, and allow me to put as many fans on one rheo as i wanted, (granted i dont overload the voltage regulator, but those can be rated pretty high.)
i dont know which voltage regulator to use tho.

right now, my rheo is rated at 3 watts. my 120mm ustoyo high output draws 7 watts.
a bit too much.
this just means that i cant turn the rheo all the way down.
BUT, if anyone knows what voltage regulaotr i should use, or if it is a simple transistor...let me know.
i would like to be done with this thing, and not have to worry about the rheostat lighting on fire.

-DAvid

svol

Champion
Rheostats do have 3 pins on it, correct (mine has)?
The first two pins are for power in and out, but the third pin is accroding to my physics book for the remainder of power. If I connect my 120mm 12V 3A fan on it my Rheostat gets very hot, but with my 60mm 12V 0.48A is doesn't. I'm thinking of conecting some light (maybe LED) on the third pin and and connect it with the ground wires, maybe that light uses the remaining power and cools it down.

My case has so many fans that it hovers above the ground :eek: .

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
the three pins are not like you said..at least in my experience.
there is one.....in the middle, which is the input. then there is the one on either side...which is the output.
if you email me, i will send you a drawing of how i rigged mine up.
mine gets hot too, which is why i am looking for a power regulator, or a transistor, which i can hook a heatsink up to to take the heat instead of the rheostat.
if you click on my name, i have my email address listed in there.
there are also some guides on the internet on how to hook a rheostat up.
but i think that the way you are thinking of hooking it up is wrong.......
draw a schematic of it in paint, make a jpeg out of it, and send it to me, and i will do the same...we can compare notes.
because i have a switch, superbright blue led, and a rheostat.

-DAvid