USB Printing Support

I have an IBM ThinkPad T41 that I tried to install an Epson Stylus Photo R300
USB printer on.
It is looking for the USB 2.0 MFP (Hi-Speed) driver.
Two items that are NOT listed under USB Serial Bus Controllers in Device
Manager are:
USB Printing Support
USB Composite Device
Without these components installed hte ThinkPad can not communicate with the
printer.

Any help would be appreciated.
6 answers Last reply
More about printing support

    USB2.0 drivers are included in SP1 and SP2.
    www.coribright.com

    "Lee Levinson" <Lee Levinson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have an IBM ThinkPad T41 that I tried to install an Epson Stylus Photo
    >R300
    > USB printer on.
    > It is looking for the USB 2.0 MFP (Hi-Speed) driver.
    > Two items that are NOT listed under USB Serial Bus Controllers in Device
    > Manager are:
    > USB Printing Support
    > USB Composite Device
    > Without these components installed hte ThinkPad can not communicate with
    > the
    > printer.
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated.

    I have the same problem...It is not corrected by installing SP2 and I
    already had SP1 on the machine.

    Peter

    "Cari (MS MVP)" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote in message
    > USB2.0 drivers are included in SP1 and SP2.
    > www.coribright.com
    >
    > "Lee Levinson" <Lee Levinson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I have an IBM ThinkPad T41 that I tried to install an Epson Stylus Photo
    > >R300
    > > USB printer on.
    > > It is looking for the USB 2.0 MFP (Hi-Speed) driver.
    > > Two items that are NOT listed under USB Serial Bus Controllers in Device
    > > Manager are:
    > > USB Printing Support
    > > USB Composite Device
    > > Without these components installed hte ThinkPad can not communicate with
    > > the
    > > printer.
    > >
    > > Any help would be appreciated.

    Have you tried uninstalling the USB ports and then rebooting and letting XP
    reinstall them?
    www.coribright.com

    "Peter" <ps@inter###pers.com> wrote in message
    >I have the same problem...It is not corrected by installing SP2 and I
    > already had SP1 on the machine.
    >
    > Peter
    >
    > "Cari (MS MVP)" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote in message
    >> USB2.0 drivers are included in SP1 and SP2.
    >> --
    >> Cari (MS-MVP Windows Client - Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
    >> www.coribright.com
    >>
    >> "Lee Levinson" <Lee Levinson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I have an IBM ThinkPad T41 that I tried to install an Epson Stylus Photo
    >> >R300
    >> > USB printer on.
    >> > It is looking for the USB 2.0 MFP (Hi-Speed) driver.
    >> > Two items that are NOT listed under USB Serial Bus Controllers in
    >> > Device
    >> > Manager are:
    >> > USB Printing Support
    >> > USB Composite Device
    >> > Without these components installed hte ThinkPad can not communicate
    >> > with
    >> > the
    >> > printer.
    >> >
    >> > Any help would be appreciated.

    I have similar problem when trying to install the same printer as Lee onto
    new Dell Computer with XP and SP2. Have uninstalled USB and rebooted with no
    improvement. Device Managers states 'unknown device' and I get communication
    error messages when trying to print.

    Help!!

    "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > Have you tried uninstalling the USB ports and then rebooting and letting XP
    > reinstall them?
    > --
    > Cari (MS-MVP) Windows Client - Printing/Imaging and Hardware
    > www.coribright.com
    >
    > "Peter" <ps@inter###pers.com> wrote in message
    > >I have the same problem...It is not corrected by installing SP2 and I
    > > already had SP1 on the machine.
    > >
    > > Peter
    > >
    > > "Cari (MS MVP)" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote in message
    > >> USB2.0 drivers are included in SP1 and SP2.
    > >> --
    > >> Cari (MS-MVP Windows Client - Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
    > >> www.coribright.com
    > >>
    > >> "Lee Levinson" <Lee Levinson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    USB printers MUST have the software installed BEFORE the printer is
    connected to the PC.
    --

    "Fi" <Fi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have similar problem when trying to install the same printer as Lee onto
    > new Dell Computer with XP and SP2. Have uninstalled USB and rebooted with
    > no
    > improvement. Device Managers states 'unknown device' and I get
    > communication
    > error messages when trying to print.
    >
    > Help!!
    >

    > "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    >
    >> Have you tried uninstalling the USB ports and then rebooting and letting
    >> XP
    >> reinstall them?
    >> --
    >> Cari (MS-MVP) Windows Client - Printing/Imaging and Hardware
    >> www.coribright.com
    >>
    >> "Peter" <ps@inter###pers.com> wrote in message
    >> >I have the same problem...It is not corrected by installing SP2 and I
    >> > already had SP1 on the machine.
    >> >
    >> > Peter
    >> >
    >> > "Cari (MS MVP)" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote in message

    I did install the software prior to connection and followed all the
    instruction. I am now uninstalling and starting again.

USB Printers Windows XP