How do you truely test for CPU stability?

Galvin

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'm not talking about running quake3 for 1 hour and saying ok my overclocked P4 is stable now. How does intel do it? Is there software out there that will test every single instruction on the P4, MMX,MMX2,SSE,SSE2,FPU,INTEGER.

Thanks.

dhlucke

Polypheme
The program that works the best is called "toast", but it is exclusively for the AMD Thunderbird. I don't know if they've adapted it to the XP or the P4. It's been a handfull of months since I got this program so it might be time to start searching for a newer version. The old version isn't online anymore anyways.

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>

dhlucke

Polypheme
Here is the <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=faq&notfound=1&code=1" target="_new">original thread</A> where I got this from, including the link. The link doesn't work anymore, but it at least has info about the program and somebody might have it on their server if you're lucky.

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
yeah, but i think that toast just loads the cpu...not like all the extended instructions like sse, and such...does it??
i have toast, and it might fit through my email if i am lucky.
it actually loads my cpu to 100%, and that is in normal priority.
toast does test the stability of an athlon, but i dont know about the xp. it might...but i dont know how much it will exploit all the capabilities of any processor. i think it just loads it up.

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

dhlucke

Polypheme
I think it just clogs all the pipelines to use a definite 100% of the CPU. I don't know about instructions. Didn't really read that part of the post :( The program is a bit too small I would think for that. It tests for stability though. No question about that.

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
correct...it does test stability...
i can vouch for that...
helped me figure out if a computer i was working on was ready or not...
so i can say that toast is good, and will test that stability, but i dont think that it will use all the instructions..i dont think that is what it was made for....

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
You can get toast from <A HREF="http://www.calvsplace.cwc.net" target="_new">my site</A> If anyone knows of / has any other useful little programs please let me know and I'll upload them- my site needs a seroius update and I will be doing it soon.

Next time you wave - use all your fingers

TRENDING THREADS