Overclocking My T-bird

G

I would like to try to over-clock my 900mhz T-bird, but I just can't seem to work up the guts to do it. I've got an A-Open AK33 mb that says it supports 1ghz+. Can I use the pencil trick and just crank up the multiplier or do I have to change voltages on my fsb..I have read so many how-to's. I want to crank that baby up, but I don't want to fry my only cpu. Any advice would be great.

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Sure, T-birds are easy to unlock. Just get a #5 mechanical pencil and cut down a thin credit card and connect the L1 bridges by drawing the pencil across each of them about 20 times. Make very sure you don't "cross connect" the bridges.

Lots of people think the graphite blows out over time and would have you use something more permanent. I haven't had a problem, even though I use a ThermoEngine cooler that blows fan air right over the bridges!

You don't have to add voltage, just start changing the multiplier and see what the chip will do. Once it becomes unstable, up the voltage to see if it helps, but be sure you are using a good cooler... adding voltage will dramatically increase the heat produced.

Good Luck,

Scout

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
what you can do if you are afraid of it blowing away, is put some scotch tape over it after you draw the lines...just put the tape on smooth, and dont move it around, otherwise you will end up cross closing the bridges....
the tape will prevent the beidges from re-locking, or cross closing...

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

svol

Champion
Multiplier*FSB=CPU clock speed.
In your case you probably have an 100 MHz FSB with a 9x multiplier: 100*9=900MHz.
You can adjust FSB setting without unlocking the chip, and multiplier setting after you closed the L1 bridges.
Remember that overclocking the FSB also means overclocking the mem, AGP card and PCI bus. If you now have a 100 MHz FSB your PCI Bus speed will be 1/3 of the FSB, namely 33.3 MHz. So if you overclock the FSB by 1 MHz the PCI bus increases 0.33 MHz. Most PCI cards can cope with a couple of MHz higher PCI bus, so you will to test how far you can go. Increase the FSB a couple of MHz and see if it's stable, if so increase it another time, if not lower the FSB a couple of MHz.
If your system runs unstable at a higher CPU clock increasing the VCore a little may increase stability, but this will make your CPU generate more heat.

My case has so many fans that it hovers above the ground :eek: .

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Does your mobo have option to adjust multiplier either in BIOS or via jumpers (if I remember correctly, it does not).

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
a lot of motherboards have agp/pci dividers for the fsb, making them run at stock speeds when the fsb on the cpu is overclocked...making it much easier to overclock.

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
On AMD CPU's motherboard, only if you run 133MHz and above where the divider set at 1/4 for PCI and 1/2 for AGP. Otherwise it still sets PCI bus at 1/3 (AGP at 2/3) to FSB.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

G

After checking, found out that I dont have a multipier option on my mobo. (bummer) I've heard that over clocking thew FSb can really mess up graphics mem...etc.
Shuld have bought the Asus, I guess. So much for saving a few bucks.

Press any key to continue...hmmm..where's the "any" key?

G

I think I better get the new fan for my video card before I try that....also I cant find a multplier option for my fsb.... :frown:

svol

Champion
Multiplier option for FSB? Do you mean you can't find a jumper/BIOS setting to change the multiplier or can't you find a jumper/BIOS setting to raise the FSB?
There many board that don't allow you to change the multiplier, but only a few boards won't allow you to change FSB. If your BIOS doesn't support it there may be a newer version which does.

BTW: Nice sig, a solution is to stick a 'ANY' label on you space bar... but then you wont have a space bar anymore...AAAhhhhhh.

My case has so many fans that it hovers above the ground :eek: .

G

Sorry. Not sure what I was thinking of. I do have the option to run at a higher fsb speed, but no clock multiplier....as soon as I get the replacement fan for my vid card, I'll try it. Thanks for the heads up....

G

Go for it. Just remember enough cooling.
With a FOP-32 from Globalwin i could get mine stable at 1100.
But nothing beats a Alpha 8045+ :)
Good Luck

900 Athlon @ 1166
Alpha 8045+ w/ Papst Ultra High
MSI K7T-Turbo, 512 SDRAM

G

Cool...I'm gonna go for it this week-end. I figure an Athalon XP1500 is going for about what I paid for this one so if I burn it out, it's a good excuse to upgrade! Also going to upgrade my power supply and cpu cooler as well as an extra case fan. Soon my case will be as cool as svol's and mine will hover too!