motherboard recommendation

matador3

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2002
motherboard advice

I am new to this community and I want to build my first computer. I don't want to build a state of the art computer since I don't know if it'll work at all but something in between.

There are so many motherboards that I don't know which to choose from. I already purchased an Athlon XP 1600 and want to build around that. My question is which motherboard would you recommend, if possible two choices, for the cpu and that also uses SDRAM memory since I have 512 MB of it and I would hate to throw it away.

Also if you have time, a case/power supply for it or what has worked for you?

I would really appreciate your help. Thank you.

The ECS K7S5A uses SDRAM & DDR RAM so if you want to upgrade later, you can. I don't know how many memory chips you have though, so I'd double check if you can use it all.

Works fine with XP CPU's.

<b><font color=blue>~scribble~</font color=blue></b> :wink: <A HREF="http://www.ud.com/home.htm" target="_new">Help cure cancer.</A>

knowan

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
I second that. Of the boards that can use sdram, the ECS K7S5A is likely the best. Plus it's cheep.

--------------
Knowan likes you. Knowan is your friend. Knowan thinks you're great.

Ronzo

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2001
3rds...The other consideration is that this mobo will let you use either 2 sticks of your old memory -or- 2 sticks of DDR memory. So, if and when the price of memory goes down again, you can uprade.