Sign in with
Your question

overclocking amd K6II 350 on ASUS P5A-B m/b?

Last response: in Overclocking
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 13, 2002 1:20:30 AM

anyone out there who can tell me proper multiplier,
ratio and voltage setting to overclock an AMD K6II 350 on an Asus P5a-b motherboard.....i have tried several settings, which i know arenot stable b/c the computer does wierd stuff......my bus can go up to 6.0 and up to 120 Mhz
...thanks....
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 13, 2002 5:10:16 PM

How far would you like to go? With very good cooling (Socket 370/462 coolers for Athlon/PIII), you can probably get it to around 500MHz at around 2.8v. If you only want to get 450 out of it, you'll probably need around 2.5v with similar cooling.

The first thing I would do is get a powerfull cooler for it. Then set the voltage to 2.8v and see if it will do 500MHz with stability. Remember that cooling is the most important part!

Use multipliers for your first attempt, find out how far it will go. This eliminates problems with the memory or chipset being overclocked too far. Then try achieving similar clock speeds using a lower multiplier with a higher bus speed.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
January 15, 2002 3:05:47 PM

I ran a K6II 300 @ 400 very stabily on that board. I ended up giving the system to a family member over 2 years ago and it's still running strong. As for jumpers, try looking over ASUS's site for a download of the user's manual. Most MB makers keep the old manuals (usually a pdf file).

"Intel people buy their computers to learn. AMD people build theirs because they already have."
Related resources
January 16, 2002 9:04:35 AM

oh yeah, i took the stock hsf from my friends athlon xp1600+, which he isnt using since he has the volcano6cu+, and i put it on a k62-350 that i am building up. that thing keeps that chip running cold. at least the heatsink is cold. i dont have temp monitoring on that mobo, but the heatsink is COLD. very nice to have a cold running processor.
hehe
but yeah..i am thinking about trying to overclock this thing as far as i can push it.
my little sisters computer is a k62-450 which was running at 550, i think only upping the voltage one notch, and stock cooling...actually, not stock...it was just a standard socket 7 cooler. my friend who put the hsf on the chip, didnt know that there was some frag tape on the bottom of it. when he put it on, it was on. when he tried to take it off, it pulled the chip out of the socket with the lever down. that thing is on there. kinda odd that an aftermarket hsf would have frag tape on the bottom.
but yea...i can vouch for the athlon heatsinks keeping k62's very cold compared to stock cooling.

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 16, 2002 3:51:27 PM

Usually a generic Athlon cooler will do for a K6-2. Some guys report better overclocking by removing the heat spreader so the die can contact the cooler. I've seen enough of them disassembled to know that AMD's idea of ideal application of thermal adhesive is not always ideal!

January 17, 2002 3:21:35 AM

Re: removing the heat spreader, is there anything I need to know? Is it a matter of just easing it off?

My K6-2 500 runs ok at 550 with Artic Silver and Big Noisey Global Win Athlon Cooler. It's unstable at 560. More would be nice...
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 17, 2002 3:23:53 AM

Seen it, never did it myself.

January 18, 2002 8:48:05 AM

well..the most effective way i have SEEN is to use a vise.
might be kinda risky, since the core is kinda fragile.
but here is a link. <A HREF="http://www.eimod.com/howto/rob/k62hr/index.shtml" target="_new"><font color=red>DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK</font color=red></A>
this SHOULD pull the cap off, and not damage the core, if you do it right and take your time.
good luck, and let me know if it works...IF YOU DO IT!!!!

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 2, 2002 11:58:17 AM

I think that thing can handle this: 100mhz bus, multiplier of 4.5 and voltage around 2.4v. This works on my P5A... BTW, K6-2 aren't good over 500mhz, too many blue screens...

-Joonas-
February 2, 2002 3:31:37 PM

I have a K6-II 350AFR (Austin Factory Rejects!?) I got about two years ago, and recently I thought I'd experiment with overclocking it. I put a regular Intel stock HSF that came with a P-III on it.

I have a RedFox ALiAGP motherboard that doesnt have the temperature and fan monitor, so its kinda difficult to analyse whats going on, especially since the ambeient here in Pune, India is around 25~30°C.

Well, I tried 400 for a few days, at 2.2V nominal core voltage, then a couple of weeks ago I switched it to 450, still at 2.2Vcore! And till date I am running at 450, rock stable and pretty cool, just more than warm even after all night of work!

Yesterday, I tried it running at 500 MHz, I had to increase the core voltage to 2.4V, worked for about a couple of hours, heat sink is hotter but not scary. Then I switched the system off for a hour or two, and switched the speed to 550. This time, I had to increase the core voltage to 2.9V (the ALiAGP doesnt support intermidiate voltages, the Asus P5A/B does so it might be easier there) to run stable at 550. Ran it for about a hour and a half and found the heatsink pretty hot, but thats usual.

Today morning (Indian Standard Time, approx 13 hrs ahead of PST) I tried doing 600 at 2.9V, the machine dint boot, so gave it up, and set the things back to 2.2V, 450 MHz. I dont have any temperature monitor and a Fan speed monitor, so I thought I'd go for 600 on a better board like the P5A-B. Then, I would even have a chance to aim for 600+ MHz with 100+ FSB, RedFox board doesnt go past 100.

Well, hope this practical report helps, the 350 should work really well at 450, 500 pushing the voltages.

I might mention that the CTX core K6-IIs are very good at high temperatures too. Sometime last year, I got system which kept on crashing, had a cheap HSF on a 400 MHz chip which I found the fan was out. I almost burnt my fingers touching the HSF, it was again, the RedFox AGPALi board without any temperature sensors, but I am sure it was about 70°C+! Working at 70+ for about 4 hours and still stay good is no mean feat. I put a Asus P5A-B (a downgrade really, it doesnt support ATA/66) in it and let go, it running great even today!

girish

<font color=red>Nothing is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 2, 2002 5:30:14 PM

A REPLY TO MY OWN POST !!!
THANKS to all who responded to my ? got a lot of
great advice...fastest i could go for now with a little
extra cooling was running k6II350/2.2v at upped
voltage of 2.4 at 105 mhz at 4.0 multiplier to give 420..
a little more speed, even 500, would be nicer.....if
anyone out there knows how......thanks.. .. :) 
February 3, 2002 4:54:09 AM

Well, I think you can go upto 450 MHz at the same nominal 2.2V as I said in my earlier post, just get a better cooler. Even a stock intel cooler is good enough for 500 MHz.

500 MHz should work at 2.4V, and 550 at ~2.8V.

I am surprised you needed 2.4V for 420 MHz, I've found 2.2V is fine even for 450, higher for 500.

If you have PC133 memory, just go straight to 120 MHz FSB and lower the multiplier to 3.5 and run it at 420, it would work better since the memory subsystem is faster. I think 480 MHz (at 4x multiplier) with 2.8Vcore should work, let me check on my P5A-B.

girish

<font color=red>Nothing is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>
!