Any guesses what's causing this?

Last response: in Video Games
April 28, 2005 6:53:01 PM

Just out of the blue, suddenly I'm getting a video glitch... certain
characters, PCs and NPCs both, have spots that are just blank white...
like their face, quite often an iksar's tail, certain pieces of
equipment...
I've run a complete file check with nothing corrupt. I have the latest
video drivers, which are only about a week old. There's no apparent
problems with DX.
Any guesses?

More about : guesses causing

Anonymous
April 28, 2005 7:04:37 PM

"bizbee" <tuberoo@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Just out of the blue, suddenly I'm getting a video glitch... certain
> characters, PCs and NPCs both, have spots that are just blank white...
> like their face, quite often an iksar's tail, certain pieces of
> equipment...
> I've run a complete file check with nothing corrupt. I have the latest
> video drivers, which are only about a week old. There's no apparent
> problems with DX.
> Any guesses?

Try deleting your .txc files (texture cache)
It rebuilds them automatically as you play.
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 7:30:53 PM

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 14:53:01 GMT, bizbee <tuberoo@earthlink.net>
wrote:

>Just out of the blue, suddenly I'm getting a video glitch... certain
>characters, PCs and NPCs both, have spots that are just blank white...
>like their face, quite often an iksar's tail, certain pieces of
>equipment...
>I've run a complete file check with nothing corrupt. I have the latest
>video drivers, which are only about a week old. There's no apparent
>problems with DX.
>Any guesses?

do you by chance have an nvidia MX card? (Geforce 2 or 4).

If so, there are known problems with EQ and those cards that would
result in what you described, due to the fact that MX cards do not do
DirectX9 functions on the board, but emulated in the drivers.

See this post from a TSR with recomended earlier drivers to try:
http://eqforums.station.sony.com/eq/board/message?board...

It will fix the skin problems, but will make trees look flat, it's a
tradeoff.
April 28, 2005 10:00:25 PM

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 15:30:53 GMT in
<v802719kkq9geng225nga1qtdmn7i9ngvb@4ax.com>, Larry Laffer
<private@aol.com> graced the world with this thought:

>On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 14:53:01 GMT, bizbee <tuberoo@earthlink.net>
>wrote:
>
>>Just out of the blue, suddenly I'm getting a video glitch... certain
>>characters, PCs and NPCs both, have spots that are just blank white...
>>like their face, quite often an iksar's tail, certain pieces of
>>equipment...
>>I've run a complete file check with nothing corrupt. I have the latest
>>video drivers, which are only about a week old. There's no apparent
>>problems with DX.
>>Any guesses?
>
>do you by chance have an nvidia MX card? (Geforce 2 or 4).
>
>If so, there are known problems with EQ and those cards that would
>result in what you described, due to the fact that MX cards do not do
>DirectX9 functions on the board, but emulated in the drivers.
>
>See this post from a TSR with recomended earlier drivers to try:
>http://eqforums.station.sony.com/eq/board/message?board...
>
>It will fix the skin problems, but will make trees look flat, it's a
>tradeoff.

Hmmm... thanks... I'm using a Geforce 4. What's interesting though, is
that I've never had this problem until a week or so ago... no changes
to my system, no update from SOE. I'll try one of the other drivers
though, and see what happens.
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 10:00:58 PM

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 15:04:37 GMT in
<9Y6ce.32294$5F3.19569@news-server.bigpond.net.au>, "Vladesch"
<vladeschxxxx@bigxxxxxpond.net.auxxx> graced the world with this
thought:

>"bizbee" <tuberoo@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> Just out of the blue, suddenly I'm getting a video glitch... certain
>> characters, PCs and NPCs both, have spots that are just blank white...
>> like their face, quite often an iksar's tail, certain pieces of
>> equipment...
>> I've run a complete file check with nothing corrupt. I have the latest
>> video drivers, which are only about a week old. There's no apparent
>> problems with DX.
>> Any guesses?
>
>Try deleting your .txc files (texture cache)
>It rebuilds them automatically as you play.

I'll try this out before I do the driver thing, thanks
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 4:56:09 AM

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 18:00:58 GMT in
<ux9ce.760$HL2.327@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net>, bizbee
<tuberoo@earthlink.net> graced the world with this thought:

>On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 15:04:37 GMT in
><9Y6ce.32294$5F3.19569@news-server.bigpond.net.au>, "Vladesch"
><vladeschxxxx@bigxxxxxpond.net.auxxx> graced the world with this
>thought:
>
>>"bizbee" <tuberoo@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>>> Just out of the blue, suddenly I'm getting a video glitch... certain
>>> characters, PCs and NPCs both, have spots that are just blank white...
>>> like their face, quite often an iksar's tail, certain pieces of
>>> equipment...
>>> I've run a complete file check with nothing corrupt. I have the latest
>>> video drivers, which are only about a week old. There's no apparent
>>> problems with DX.
>>> Any guesses?
>>
>>Try deleting your .txc files (texture cache)
>>It rebuilds them automatically as you play.
>>
>I'll try this out before I do the driver thing, thanks

Well, that didn't do anything, unfortunately. I'm tempted to dick with
the driver thing, but, believe it or not, I actually use my system for
more than EQ, so I figure it's their problem, not nVidia's, and
appreciate the new changes. It was a shot, thanks.
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 4:57:30 AM

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 15:30:53 GMT in
<v802719kkq9geng225nga1qtdmn7i9ngvb@4ax.com>, Larry Laffer
<private@aol.com> graced the world with this thought:

>On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 14:53:01 GMT, bizbee <tuberoo@earthlink.net>
>wrote:
>
>>Just out of the blue, suddenly I'm getting a video glitch... certain
>>characters, PCs and NPCs both, have spots that are just blank white...
>>like their face, quite often an iksar's tail, certain pieces of
>>equipment...
>>I've run a complete file check with nothing corrupt. I have the latest
>>video drivers, which are only about a week old. There's no apparent
>>problems with DX.
>>Any guesses?
>
>do you by chance have an nvidia MX card? (Geforce 2 or 4).
>
>If so, there are known problems with EQ and those cards that would
>result in what you described, due to the fact that MX cards do not do
>DirectX9 functions on the board, but emulated in the drivers.
>
>See this post from a TSR with recomended earlier drivers to try:
>http://eqforums.station.sony.com/eq/board/message?board...
>
>It will fix the skin problems, but will make trees look flat, it's a
>tradeoff.

indeed, this looks like the most likely culprit, but I'll be passing
on the old driver, I guess. Thanks.
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 1:29:18 PM

bizbee wrote:

> Just out of the blue, suddenly I'm getting a video glitch... certain
> characters, PCs and NPCs both, have spots that are just blank white...
> like their face, quite often an iksar's tail, certain pieces of
> equipment...
> I've run a complete file check with nothing corrupt. I have the latest
> video drivers, which are only about a week old. There's no apparent
> problems with DX.
> Any guesses?

I've been getting this as well and also scenery appearing
and disappearing... Very annoying especially in zones like
LFay, where trees are there then gone then there again. I
log out in these situations, restart my system and all is
well. I suspect a memory leak (once again, sigh) as in my
case it only seems to happen if I've been logged in for
quite a while.
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 2:06:44 PM

<tuberoo@earthlink.net> wrote:

> >See this post from a TSR with recomended earlier drivers to try:
> >http://eqforums.station.sony.com/eq/board/message?board...
> >
> >It will fix the skin problems, but will make trees look flat, it's a
> >tradeoff.
>
> indeed, this looks like the most likely culprit, but I'll be passing
> on the old driver, I guess. Thanks.

Pointless to upgrade an Nvidia driver for anything below a 5xxx series card
these days, and has been for more than a year. The only reason to upgrade
is to fix a specific problem, and the release notes should indicate exactly
what problem is fixed for the 4xxx series cards. If you don't have that
problem, don't bother. They aren't doing optimizations in the drivers for
anything under 5xxx's anymore.
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 8:41:56 PM

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 18:00:25 GMT, bizbee <tuberoo@earthlink.net>
wrote:
>Hmmm... thanks... I'm using a Geforce 4. What's interesting though, is
>that I've never had this problem until a week or so ago... no changes
>to my system, no update from SOE. I'll try one of the other drivers
>though, and see what happens.

I'm using a GeForce 4 Ti4200 and when I tried the latest drivers (a
few weeks ago, might not be the latest anymore), it caused my system
to go BSOD on bootup. Luckily I had XP's system restore enabled, so I
could revert to the older versions in safe mode and keep going.

It looks like nVidia's unified driver architecture might be biting us
"older" card owners in the ass as they decide we're not important.
How dare we keep our video cards for more than a year and a half!

(I am a recovered "buy the latest $350 card every year" sufferer
myself. Why must they tempt me so?)
Anonymous
April 30, 2005 1:31:37 AM

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 16:41:56 -0400, The Other John
<spamblock@blockit.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 18:00:25 GMT, bizbee <tuberoo@earthlink.net>
>wrote:
>>Hmmm... thanks... I'm using a Geforce 4. What's interesting though, is
>>that I've never had this problem until a week or so ago... no changes
>>to my system, no update from SOE. I'll try one of the other drivers
>>though, and see what happens.
>
>I'm using a GeForce 4 Ti4200 and when I tried the latest drivers (a
>few weeks ago, might not be the latest anymore), it caused my system
>to go BSOD on bootup. Luckily I had XP's system restore enabled, so I
>could revert to the older versions in safe mode and keep going.
>
>It looks like nVidia's unified driver architecture might be biting us
>"older" card owners in the ass as they decide we're not important.
>How dare we keep our video cards for more than a year and a half!
>
>(I am a recovered "buy the latest $350 card every year" sufferer
>myself. Why must they tempt me so?)

Don't need a $350 every year, just a $200 every other year :)  lol

I bought my Radeon 9800 Pro for $200 last year, and it's still going
strong without a problem.
Anonymous
April 30, 2005 11:20:29 PM

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 16:41:56 -0400 in
<7lb47113gejdti5dgn1q11u16mpdet9672@4ax.com>, The Other John
<spamblock@blockit.com> graced the world with this thought:

>On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 18:00:25 GMT, bizbee <tuberoo@earthlink.net>
>wrote:
>>Hmmm... thanks... I'm using a Geforce 4. What's interesting though, is
>>that I've never had this problem until a week or so ago... no changes
>>to my system, no update from SOE. I'll try one of the other drivers
>>though, and see what happens.
>
>I'm using a GeForce 4 Ti4200 and when I tried the latest drivers (a
>few weeks ago, might not be the latest anymore), it caused my system
>to go BSOD on bootup. Luckily I had XP's system restore enabled, so I
>could revert to the older versions in safe mode and keep going.
>
>It looks like nVidia's unified driver architecture might be biting us
>"older" card owners in the ass as they decide we're not important.
>How dare we keep our video cards for more than a year and a half!
>
>(I am a recovered "buy the latest $350 card every year" sufferer
>myself. Why must they tempt me so?)

That's always nice. I always hold my breath after a new video driver
restart, expecting exactly what you describe.
Mine just did it out of the clear blue... I upgraded the driver hoping
that would fix it It didn't. I rolled back, that didn't either. I'm
not going to go back to an even older driver just so my tail is grey.
Anonymous
May 1, 2005 2:43:29 PM

"bizbee" <tuberoo@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Just out of the blue, suddenly I'm getting a video glitch... certain
> characters, PCs and NPCs both, have spots that are just blank white...
> like their face, quite often an iksar's tail, certain pieces of
> equipment...
> I've run a complete file check with nothing corrupt. I have the latest
> video drivers, which are only about a week old. There's no apparent
> problems with DX.
> Any guesses?

You need to roll back your video drivers. Just as a guess, you have a
GeForce 2 or 4 MX card and you upgraded drivers recently. I had to roll
back to the 67.66 drivers from nVidia.
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 3:37:24 PM

"KDragon" <nospam.for.me.please@nospam.net> wrote in message
> bizbee wrote:
>
>> Just out of the blue, suddenly I'm getting a video glitch... certain
>> characters, PCs and NPCs both, have spots that are just blank white...
>> like their face, quite often an iksar's tail, certain pieces of
>> equipment...
>> I've run a complete file check with nothing corrupt. I have the latest
>> video drivers, which are only about a week old. There's no apparent
>> problems with DX.
>> Any guesses?
>
> I've been getting this as well and also scenery appearing and
> disappearing... Very annoying especially in zones like LFay, where trees
> are there then gone then there again. I log out in these situations,
> restart my system and all is well. I suspect a memory leak (once again,
> sigh) as in my case it only seems to happen if I've been logged in for
> quite a while.

Increase your AGP Aperture size in your BIOS.
This worked for me.
T.
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 6:55:23 PM

"Thomas Houseman"
<thomashouseman@HomailHADTOPUTTHISHERETOSTOPTHESWENVIRUS.com> wrote in
message news:42b22951$0$3082$c30e37c6@ken-reader.news.telstra.net...

> "KDragon" <nospam.for.me.please@nospam.net> wrote in message
>> bizbee wrote:
>>
>>> Just out of the blue, suddenly I'm getting a video glitch... certain
>>> characters, PCs and NPCs both, have spots that are just blank white...
>>> like their face, quite often an iksar's tail, certain pieces of
>>> equipment...
>>> I've run a complete file check with nothing corrupt. I have the latest
>>> video drivers, which are only about a week old. There's no apparent
>>> problems with DX.
>>> Any guesses?
>>
>> I've been getting this as well and also scenery appearing and
>> disappearing... Very annoying especially in zones like LFay, where trees
>> are there then gone then there again. I log out in these situations,
>> restart my system and all is well. I suspect a memory leak (once again,
>> sigh) as in my case it only seems to happen if I've been logged in for
>> quite a while.
>

> Increase your AGP Aperture size in your BIOS.
> This worked for me.
> T.

Check your video driver you may have the wrong one intalled for the game at
least that is what was causeing it on me
!