Compaq S5000NX memory upgrade help

george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001

I have a S5000NX that was purchased last Christmas, with 128 megs RAM,
PC2100, according to specs.
If I want to upgrade and throw in a 512 DDR stick, is there any special ram
brand I need, or can any generic PC2100 stick work?

This thing needs something. Also, how can I check or find out what programs
I need to have running in this system. It seems that there are a ton of
programs I don't need or what.

I've done the MSCONFIG, but still need to know what I can turn off and have
to leave on. Is there anyone or anyplace I can go to find this out. Please,
I need some help with this thing, it's making computing not fun.

thanks,
George

Good quality generic non-parity DDR memory, PC2100 or faster will do it. HPaq
is not the only company to sell low-priced systems with only 128MB. Try
www.crucial.com if there is nobody nearby selling memory with decent quality and
a guarantee.

MSCONFIG does not tell you enough about the programs running to allow you to
make sensible decisions about which ones to do without. Post a list of the
programs here and maybe somebody can help eliminate some. With only 128MB, your
computer needs all the help it can get. But, first, run, do not walk, to the
nearest store that sells memory! ... Ben Myers