scwarner

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2002
I'm running dual MP 1600+'s on a Tyan Tiger MP board. My temps are a little warm (50-52) when I'm just surfing the web. I don't have the sides on my case (not worried about dust... it gets vacuumed every week or two). I thought the circulating air might help cool a little better than just an open case.Is it possible for my temps to drop by putting on the sides and adding extra case fans, or is it just a waste of time?

"Intel people buy their computers to learn. AMD people build theirs because they already have."

Yes, the addition of air flow over the correct areas of the system will bring down the temps. As it is, you simply have less heat build up by conduction.

Adding fans will remove the heat from the right areas. Ensure similar amounts of intake and exhaust (or slightly greater intake) for best results.

<b><font color=blue>~scribble~</font color=blue></b> :wink: <A HREF="http://www.ud.com/home.htm" target="_new">Help cure cancer.</A>

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
you do know that using a vacuum to clean the inside of your case is kinda risking a static discharge on the mobo?
i would suggest using those compressed CO2 cans, or a compressor.
just a suggestion.
and as for putting the case sides on..
well, with my 120mm fan in the side of my case, i get lower temps with the case on...so if you add a fan, you would want to put it somewhere that with the case on, it would be directing the air. or letting it circulate instead of just blowing out of the case...which is why in my case, if i take off the panel opposite that of the fan, the temps go up slightly. it ruins the directed airflow.

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

scwarner

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2002
I use the vacuum mainly for the hsf but do occasionally use a compressor to blow the whole thing out.

Thanks for the input. Much appreciated.

"Intel people buy their computers to learn. AMD people build theirs because they already have."

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
okie dokie!
well, it seems like u've had ok results with it.
the thing is, i cant use the vacuum anywhere near my computer, because it is a huge craftsman 170mph shopvac deal.
i am afraid to use it near the tv...lol
it is big, loud, strong, and holds like a whole bunch of crap.

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-