HP Printer installation problems

I updated my PC from Windows ME to XP and installed service pack 2. After
the installation my HP3500 printer was no longer there. I tried to reinstall
the printer but get a message of Incorrect Port - program asks to finish
because it cannot install. HP have checked the printer and instructed me to
enter a new port usb001 this also does not work. HP have told me to remove
XP completely and reinstall from scratch because the USB ports are
corrupt.... How do I do this ?
--
Rose Clegg
6 answers Last reply

    Let's see if we can get it back without a format and reinstall first, shall
    we! It's a little drastic to recover USB drivers!

    Disconnect the printer from the PC. Then follow my instructions on how to
    uninstall/reinstall your printer down to Step 4.

    Right click on My Computer and select Properties. From the Hardware tab,
    click on Device Manager. Scroll down until you see the entry for the
    Universal Serial Bus Controllers. Click on the + to expand the tree.

    Right click on each Root Hub in turn and select UNINSTALL. Do the same with
    the Controller entries once the Root Hubs are gone.

    Now reboot the PC. XP should re-find and reinstall the correct drivers for
    the USB ports.

    Now install the software for the printer - ie continue from Step 6 on my
    site.

    How is it feeling?
    www.coribright.com

    "Rose Clegg" <charlie@plumley.com> wrote in message
    >I updated my PC from Windows ME to XP and installed service pack 2. After
    > the installation my HP3500 printer was no longer there. I tried to
    > reinstall
    > the printer but get a message of Incorrect Port - program asks to finish
    > because it cannot install. HP have checked the printer and instructed me
    > enter a new port usb001 this also does not work. HP have told me to
    > remove
    > XP completely and reinstall from scratch because the USB ports are
    > corrupt.... How do I do this ?
    > --
    > Rose Clegg

    Thank you for trying to help me - sorry it has not worked still getting
    message in the installation wizard - PORT NOT FOUND

    "Rose Clegg" wrote:

    > I updated my PC from Windows ME to XP and installed service pack 2. After
    > the installation my HP3500 printer was no longer there. I tried to reinstall
    > the printer but get a message of Incorrect Port - program asks to finish
    > because it cannot install. HP have checked the printer and instructed me to
    > enter a new port usb001 this also does not work. HP have told me to remove
    > XP completely and reinstall from scratch because the USB ports are
    > corrupt.... How do I do this ?
    > --
    > Rose Clegg

    Are you sure your USB ports are working?

    > Thank you for trying to help me - sorry it has not worked still getting
    > message in the installation wizard - PORT NOT FOUND
    >
    > "Rose Clegg" wrote:
    >
    >> I updated my PC from Windows ME to XP and installed service pack 2.
    >> After
    >> the installation my HP3500 printer was no longer there. I tried to
    >> reinstall
    >> the printer but get a message of Incorrect Port - program asks to finish
    >> because it cannot install. HP have checked the printer and instructed me
    >> enter a new port usb001 this also does not work. HP have told me to
    >> remove
    >> XP completely and reinstall from scratch because the USB ports are
    >> corrupt.... How do I do this ?
    >> --
    >> Rose Clegg

    Cari

    Yes I am positive my USB ports are working I have tried my Camera and
    broadband modem into the USB port onto which I connect the printer. I spoke
    to Microsoft again on Friday and they have referred the problem to their
    technical team who will call me tomorrow. Thanks for trying to help

    "Cari (MS MVP)" wrote:

    > Are you sure your USB ports are working?
    > www.coribright.com
    >
    > "Rose Clegg" <charlie@plumley.com> wrote in message
    > > Thank you for trying to help me - sorry it has not worked still getting
    > > message in the installation wizard - PORT NOT FOUND
    > >
    > > "Rose Clegg" wrote:
    > >
    > >> I updated my PC from Windows ME to XP and installed service pack 2.
    > >> After
    > >> the installation my HP3500 printer was no longer there. I tried to
    > >> reinstall
    > >> the printer but get a message of Incorrect Port - program asks to finish
    > >> because it cannot install. HP have checked the printer and instructed me
    > >> enter a new port usb001 this also does not work. HP have told me to
    > >> remove
    > >> XP completely and reinstall from scratch because the USB ports are
    > >> corrupt.... How do I do this ?
    > >> --
    > >> Rose Clegg

    Rose,

    Would you tell us the outcome of your conversation with Microsoft. I'm
    having the same problem trying to install a Canon 1475D printer. The
    installer gets to the point where it trys to detect the printer port and
    can't so installation fails. Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

    Bob

    > Cari
    >
    > Yes I am positive my USB ports are working I have tried my Camera and
    > broadband modem into the USB port onto which I connect the printer. I
    > spoke
    > to Microsoft again on Friday and they have referred the problem to their
    > technical team who will call me tomorrow. Thanks for trying to help
    >
    > "Cari (MS MVP)" wrote:
    >
    >> Are you sure your USB ports are working?
    >> --
    >> Cari (MS-MVP Windows Client - Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
    >> www.coribright.com
    >>
    >> "Rose Clegg" <charlie@plumley.com> wrote in message
    >> > Thank you for trying to help me - sorry it has not worked still getting
    >> > message in the installation wizard - PORT NOT FOUND

    Robert

    Microsoft never bothered to call me. I tested the upgrade on another PC and
    everything worked OK. My own conclusion was that something had gone wrong in
    the upgrade from ME to XP. So I returned the system to ME and ran the
    upgrade again. Tried to install the printer - problem still there. Started
    thinking about what was different about the two systems. In the first system
    the Keyboard and printer are USB. The keyboard has always been in USB1 and
    the Printer in USB 2. Whilst on the second machine I connected the printer
    to USB 1 because the keyboard has a different connect. I swapped the
    keyboard and printer and the installation then worked. My conclusion is that
    on XP you have to have the printer in USB 1 because everything is now working
    fine.

    Rose

    "Robert Dowell" wrote:

    > Rose,
    >
    > Would you tell us the outcome of your conversation with Microsoft. I'm
    > having the same problem trying to install a Canon 1475D printer. The
    > installer gets to the point where it trys to detect the printer port and
    > can't so installation fails. Thanks in advance for any help you can give.
    >
    > Bob
    >
    > "Rose Clegg" <charlie@plumley.com> wrote in message
    > > Cari
    > >
    > > Yes I am positive my USB ports are working I have tried my Camera and
    > > broadband modem into the USB port onto which I connect the printer. I
    > > spoke
    > > to Microsoft again on Friday and they have referred the problem to their
    > > technical team who will call me tomorrow. Thanks for trying to help
    > >
    > > "Cari (MS MVP)" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Are you sure your USB ports are working?
    > >> --
    > >> Cari (MS-MVP Windows Client - Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
    > >> www.coribright.com
    > >>
    > >> "Rose Clegg" <charlie@plumley.com> wrote in message

Hewlett Packard Printers Windows XP