DoN faction: How to start?

Last response: in Video Games
April 28, 2005 10:28:26 PM

Yes, yes, I know how to start: get a group doing a mission. But how did THEY
get the faction to start? Kill guards? Or is there a task somewhere in zone
that
gives faction? I've hailed everyone at the gypsy camp, but they don't seem
to offer
any tasks related to DoN factions. The npc's at the camps won't talk to me
without some small level of faction first; so how do I get it? Can it be
done solo,
or is groupong the only way? Is there someone who should talk to me at this
stage?

EJH

More about : faction start

Anonymous
April 28, 2005 10:28:27 PM

<ejhawman@ameritech.net> wrote:
> Yes, yes, I know how to start: get a group doing a mission. But how did THEY
> get the faction to start? Kill guards? Or is there a task somewhere in zone
> that
> gives faction? I've hailed everyone at the gypsy camp, but they don't seem
> to offer
> any tasks related to DoN factions. The npc's at the camps won't talk to me
> without some small level of faction first; so how do I get it? Can it be
> done solo,
> or is groupong the only way? Is there someone who should talk to me at this
> stage?

You went to the wrong gypsy camp. Keep looking.

Or maybe you're confused, as "they don't seem to offer any tasks *related to
DoN factions*" is unclear as to whether you can't find anyone to give tasks
or you're getting tasks but you don't think they're related to DoN faction.
Any tasks given in Lavastorm are related to DoN factions.
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 10:28:27 PM

"Eric J. Hawman" <ejhawman@ameritech.net> wrote in message
> Yes, yes, I know how to start: get a group doing a mission. But how did
> THEY
> get the faction to start? Kill guards? Or is there a task somewhere in
> zone that
> gives faction? I've hailed everyone at the gypsy camp, but they don't seem
> to offer
> any tasks related to DoN factions. The npc's at the camps won't talk to me
> without some small level of faction first; so how do I get it? Can it be
> done solo,
> or is groupong the only way? Is there someone who should talk to me at
> this stage?
>
> EJH
Allakhazam and CRGaming (previously EQCasters) have help with this. In the
middle of the Lavastorm zone is a camp of Mercenaries. They give faction
tasks. I printed the one for GOOD faction and the names you need for single
person tasks are Mercenary Bitral and Mercenary Elanye. Kanethus
Forrestwalker, Bianca Galbraith and Boldger Bristlebeard offer single group
tasks. Upon completing the tasks you receive a token and some of the
Crystals. I believe you need to turn in five tokens to reach indifferent
faction to be able to do the more advanced tasks.

I will cite my personal experience. Background: Druid level 66 and quite
timid. I accepted a task to gather spider silks. Said to self: those
spiders are green and I killed lots of them trying to help someone with a
task. I can do this. BUT, after killing numbers of them and finding no
silk, I checked Allakhazam for what was wrong. I needed spiders in zone
other than Lavastorm. Zone into Lavaspinner. See a narrow path. Track:
see only blue mobs and only a few spiders from that location. By the way,
the task window did not divulge the task details until I zoned into
Lavaspinner. Decide to spend some time foraging. Did not see any mobs from
the place I had gone to, only a small distance into the zone... Went AFK for
a few minutes. Come back and see I am nearly dead... EVAC. Some mob had
wandered my way or I had been "trained" with one mob. I abandoned the task.
April 28, 2005 10:52:19 PM

"Eric J. Hawman" <ejhawman@ameritech.net> wrote in

> Yes, yes, I know how to start: get a group doing a mission. But how
> did THEY get the faction to start? Kill guards? Or is there a task
> somewhere in zone that
> gives faction? I've hailed everyone at the gypsy camp, but they don't
> seem to offer
> any tasks related to DoN factions. The npc's at the camps won't talk
> to me without some small level of faction first; so how do I get it?
> Can it be done solo,
> or is groupong the only way? Is there someone who should talk to me at
> this stage?

I believe that there should be some tasks you can get from one or the other
camp to start it, but, I admit, I happened into a group that did several
evil DoNs before I started on any tasks myself, so I don't actually know.
Killing guards will raise your faction, and would be an option.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont in <Insanity Plea>
Graeme, 28 Dwarven Mystic, 24 Sage, Retired
Aviv, 15 Gnome Brawler, 30 Provisioner, Retired
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 6:35:36 PM

"Pris Flynn" <parf@snip.net> wrote in

> "Eric J. Hawman" <ejhawman@ameritech.net> wrote in message
>> Yes, yes, I know how to start: get a group doing a mission. But how
>> did THEY
>> get the faction to start? Kill guards? Or is there a task somewhere
>> in zone that
>> gives faction? I've hailed everyone at the gypsy camp, but they don't
>> seem to offer
>> any tasks related to DoN factions. The npc's at the camps won't talk
>> to me without some small level of faction first; so how do I get it?
>> Can it be done solo,
>> or is groupong the only way? Is there someone who should talk to me
>> at this stage?
>>
>> EJH
> Allakhazam and CRGaming (previously EQCasters) have help with this.
> In the middle of the Lavastorm zone is a camp of Mercenaries. They
> give faction tasks. I printed the one for GOOD faction and the names
> you need for single person tasks are Mercenary Bitral and Mercenary
> Elanye. Kanethus Forrestwalker, Bianca Galbraith and Boldger
> Bristlebeard offer single group tasks. Upon completing the tasks you
> receive a token and some of the Crystals. I believe you need to turn
> in five tokens to reach indifferent faction to be able to do the more
> advanced tasks.
>
> I will cite my personal experience. Background: Druid level 66 and
> quite timid. I accepted a task to gather spider silks. Said to self:
> those spiders are green and I killed lots of them trying to help
> someone with a task. I can do this. BUT, after killing numbers of
> them and finding no silk, I checked Allakhazam for what was wrong. I
> needed spiders in zone other than Lavastorm. Zone into Lavaspinner.
> See a narrow path. Track: see only blue mobs and only a few spiders
> from that location. By the way, the task window did not divulge the
> task details until I zoned into Lavaspinner. Decide to spend some
> time foraging. Did not see any mobs from the place I had gone to,
> only a small distance into the zone... Went AFK for a few minutes.
> Come back and see I am nearly dead... EVAC. Some mob had wandered my
> way or I had been "trained" with one mob. I abandoned the task.

Most of those tasks are not very difficult, trivially soloed at level 70.
As a druid, you should have little difficulty soloing them at your level,
just root and rot.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont in <Insanity Plea>
Graeme, 28 Dwarven Mystic, 24 Sage, Retired
Aviv, 15 Gnome Brawler, 30 Provisioner, Retired
Anonymous
April 30, 2005 1:42:46 AM

"Pris Flynn" <parf@snip.net> writes:
> I will cite my personal experience. Background: Druid level 66 and quite
> timid. I accepted a task to gather spider silks. Said to self: those
> spiders are green and I killed lots of them trying to help someone with a
> task. I can do this. BUT, after killing numbers of them and finding no
> silk, I checked Allakhazam for what was wrong. I needed spiders in zone
> other than Lavastorm. Zone into Lavaspinner. See a narrow path. Track:
> see only blue mobs and only a few spiders from that location. By the way,
> the task window did not divulge the task details until I zoned into
> Lavaspinner. Decide to spend some time foraging. Did not see any mobs from
> the place I had gone to, only a small distance into the zone... Went AFK for
> a few minutes. Come back and see I am nearly dead... EVAC. Some mob had
> wandered my way or I had been "trained" with one mob. I abandoned the task.

That's one of the easier solo tasks. Which is not to say it's easy.
My 52 Monk and a 65 Chanter friend were able to handle the spiders
okay, until we got careless and tried to take over a room that a
larger group had recently vacated. (Their kill rate was faster, of
course, so the respawns came closer together, so we found ourselves
fighting about 4-5 mobs just as the chanter's VOQ, pet haste, and
other buffs ran out. Of course. :-)

The task should've specified the zone. You have to click on the task
line in the upper portion of the Task Window, and then it should show
the current state of the task as individual steps. Each step will
show the required zone (which may be "ALL", e.g. for killing Stillmoon
creatures).

I'm told you may have to be patient and ask the NPCs in the wayfarer's
camp (NOT the gypsy camp; they're up on the hill in Lavastorm) multiple
times before they offer you other tasks. My 52 monk was getting offered
only a task involving killing Stillmoon creatures, which are much tougher
than mobs in Lavaspinner, while the 65 chanter was given a choice between
that and the easier spider task. Eventually I managed to get offered a
different task.

We later tried doing a task that required killing drakes in Lavaspinner,
and those are a bit higher level and tend to be casters, not to mention
they like to drift off into the lava stream during the battle. So I'd
say stick to those spiders for your first task.

The one task we did finish gave us faction, but no "token" to turn in for
more faction. I gather the tokens come from group tasks, but I'm not
sure where to get those tasks. (Maybe a non-KOS group member goes in and
gets a task from one of the camps in the tunnels? Not sure.)

-- Don.

-- Sukrasisx, Monk 53 on E. Marr Note: If you reply by mail,
-- Terrwini, Druid 51 on E. Marr I'll get to it sooner if you
-- Teviron, Knight 15 on E. Marr
!