Abit ST6-RAID Problem

G

Hi, I have a new Abit ST6-RAID motherboard that I have equipped with a retail Pentium III 1.2 GHz Tualatin (133 MHz/256K cache). The motherboard comes with Abit's Soft Menu III and it's been updated with the latest bios (Dated 11/27/2001 ID:6A). The problem is that when I enter Soft Menu and choose "User Define" in the CPU Operating Speed option to overclock the processor the Multiplier Factor automatically defaults to 4!
I don't understand why it would do that, it detects it correctly as 9 if I set the cpu operating speed to "1.2 GHz(133MHz)" [133MHz x 9 = 1200], but like I said it changes to 4 when it's set to user define to overclock the processor.
Has anyone else had this problem with the ST6-Raid??? Or maybe other motherboards using this processor???
I don't think I could possibly be the only one with this problem. Could it be a bug in this bios version??? Or maybe Intel's doing? Like, to discourage overclocking??? I know maybe I'm just being paranoid on that last one... but could they do something like that? Somehow I don't think it would surprise me if they were able to and had done just that. Does anyone have any other explanation/ideas as to what could be wrong?
Thanks

Can you manually change the multiplyer if this happens? If so...w00t! I wish I could change the multiplyer on my PIII.

<b><font color=blue>~scribble~</font color=blue></b> :wink: <A HREF="http://www.ud.com/home.htm" target="_new">Help cure cancer.</A>

G

I know where you're going with that... I wish! I wouldn't have posted a question here if that was the case... The stupid multiplier just changes all by itself, and no, there's no option to manually change it! It really sucks, I've read about what some people are doing with this processor it just sucks not to be able to even try. Maybe I need to get a new motherboard or something, like a different brand... or maybe try a different bios version. I think I'll try that first... wish me luck.

G

Well that didn't work... this really sucks. Does anyone have any more ideas??? Try a different brand of motherboard??? Anyone???

G

Yeah! No, I mean... Well, actually there are no jumpers on the motherboard only a DIP switch to <i>manually</i> select between 66, 100, or 133 MHz FSB... normally you'd just use the soft menu for all the settings.
Hmmm, I just noticed there is another option: <b>"No Define"</b>, could that be it? Nah, couldn't be, I'm already able to specify what FSB speed I want, the problem is the multiplier factor setting itself to 4x when I do that.
On all my other Abit boards with the same type of setup I've always been able to just set what FSB speed I want in soft menu without messing with the dip switch and the multiplier doesn't change itself. I think either the processor or the motherboard are duds.
Oh well, I'm just about ready to give up trying to overclock this thing altogether. Unless anyone has any more ideas...
Thanks for your help though!

Sorry. I meant the dip switches. Make sure they're at default. There's a pic in the manual about them.

<b><font color=blue>~scribble~</font color=blue></b> :wink: <A HREF="http://www.ud.com/home.htm" target="_new">Help cure cancer.</A>

G

Yeah, they're set to default. Well, they were... I took the board back to the place I got it from. They gave me another one, this one has sort of the same problem but I'm able to overclock with it.
This one only <i>shows</i> that the multiplier has changed to 4x just like the other one, but if you ignore that and change the FSB speed anyway it actually keeps the 9x multiplier even though it displays it as 4x, so it's just a cosmetic problem now.
The other board didn't do that, it actually changed the multiplier to 4! So I've concluded it's a motherboard bug, it has to be. I tried flashing the bios with all the different ones in the Abit site and they all have the same problem... oh, well...
At least I can overclock the processor now, so far it's gone up to 1.35 GHz (150 MHz FSB x 9) with stock cooling and default voltage, it's stable at that speed. I have to find a new heatsink that will fit, though. Right now the temperatures hover at around 37-39ºC idle and 43-44º full load, so they'll get better with a <i>real</i> heatsink instead of Intel's aluminum one... does anybody know of a good heatsink that will fit my processor??? It's a retail Pentium III 1.2 GHz Tualatin.
Anyway, I know 150 MHz FSB is getting kinda high though... so that may be about as high as it's going to go... I'm going to have to wait until I get a better heatsink to try to go higher, though.
Thanks for all your help!