can't connect to network printers

October 14, 2004 2:59:08 PM

We are having problems connecting to network printers on a Windows NT domain
with XP clients and restricted Users but this problem does not happen with
Win2k clients the erroe is "A policy is in effect on your computer which
prevents you from connecting to this print queue. Please contact your system
administrator" there are no policies in place and it was working with out no
problems before. Any help will be appriciated. Thanks
Anonymous
October 14, 2004 3:19:01 PM

Sorry 1 more thing this happens in XP with SP1A and SP2 even with a fresh
install

"Alpine1" wrote:

> We are having problems connecting to network printers on a Windows NT domain
> with XP clients and restricted Users but this problem does not happen with
> Win2k clients the erroe is "A policy is in effect on your computer which
> prevents you from connecting to this print queue. Please contact your system
> administrator" there are no policies in place and it was working with out no
> problems before. Any help will be appriciated. Thanks
Anonymous
October 14, 2004 9:10:20 PM

You need to configure the policy (on the client) to turn it off. SP2 has a
fix when the DCs are NT4. Are the clients and print server in the same
domain?

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;319939
Description of the Point and Print Restrictions Policy Setting in Windows
Server 2003 and Windows XP

a.. By default, this policy setting is not configured. If you do not
configure this policy setting, users cannot download Point and Print drivers
from computers that are not in their Active Directory forest. The result of
not configuring the setting is the same as enabling the policy and setting
it to Users can only Point and Print to machines in their Forest.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"Alpine1" <Alpine1@miamidade.gov> wrote in message
> Sorry 1 more thing this happens in XP with SP1A and SP2 even with a fresh
> install
>
> "Alpine1" wrote:
>
> > We are having problems connecting to network printers on a Windows NT
domain
> > with XP clients and restricted Users but this problem does not happen
with
> > Win2k clients the erroe is "A policy is in effect on your computer which
> > prevents you from connecting to this print queue. Please contact your
system
> > administrator" there are no policies in place and it was working with
out no
> > problems before. Any help will be appriciated. Thanks
October 15, 2004 12:13:03 PM

Yes they are on the same Domain, but it looks like there is a Higher domain
that is beening create and tested in AD but we are not in it could that be
the problem?

"Alan Morris(MSFT)" wrote:

> You need to configure the policy (on the client) to turn it off. SP2 has a
> fix when the DCs are NT4. Are the clients and print server in the same
> domain?
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;319939
> Description of the Point and Print Restrictions Policy Setting in Windows
> Server 2003 and Windows XP
>

> a.. By default, this policy setting is not configured. If you do not
> configure this policy setting, users cannot download Point and Print drivers
> from computers that are not in their Active Directory forest. The result of
> not configuring the setting is the same as enabling the policy and setting
> it to Users can only Point and Print to machines in their Forest.
>

> --
> Alan Morris
> Windows Printing Team

> "Alpine1" <Alpine1@miamidade.gov> wrote in message
> > Sorry 1 more thing this happens in XP with SP1A and SP2 even with a fresh
> > install
> >
> > "Alpine1" wrote:
> >
> > > We are having problems connecting to network printers on a Windows NT
> domain
> > > with XP clients and restricted Users but this problem does not happen
> with
> > > Win2k clients the erroe is "A policy is in effect on your computer which
> > > prevents you from connecting to this print queue. Please contact your
> system
> > > administrator" there are no policies in place and it was working with
> out no
> > > problems before. Any help will be appriciated. Thanks

Anonymous
October 15, 2004 7:15:09 PM

Unsure, I am not a domain or AD kind a guy. Did disabling the policy allow
users the ability to connect to the print server?

Any idea which OS is installed on the higher domain controller?

--

> Yes they are on the same Domain, but it looks like there is a Higher
domain
> that is beening create and tested in AD but we are not in it could that be
> the problem?
>

> "Alan Morris(MSFT)" wrote:
>
> > You need to configure the policy (on the client) to turn it off. SP2
has a
> > fix when the DCs are NT4. Are the clients and print server in the same
> > domain?
> >
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;319939
> > Description of the Point and Print Restrictions Policy Setting in
Windows
> > Server 2003 and Windows XP
> >

> > a.. By default, this policy setting is not configured. If you do not
> > configure this policy setting, users cannot download Point and Print
drivers
> > from computers that are not in their Active Directory forest. The result
of
> > not configuring the setting is the same as enabling the policy and
setting
> > it to Users can only Point and Print to machines in their Forest.
> >

> > --
> > Alan Morris
> > Windows Printing Team
> > Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here:
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];kbhowto

rights.

> > "Alpine1" <Alpine1@miamidade.gov> wrote in message
> > > Sorry 1 more thing this happens in XP with SP1A and SP2 even with a
fresh
> > > install

NT
> > domain
> > with
> > system
> > out no

Anonymous
October 16, 2004 12:53:06 PM

Looks like Server 2003, and yes all policies are disabled and still not
working, but a past the info on the the people how manage the higher domain
to see if they are doing something and so they can do the server part of the
operation.

!