A good build for a bf3 pc around $1000?

Hi, looking to possibly build a PC instead of buying a pre-made one. Would like to get the best performance that I could from it. I'd like to have a PC that can run BF3 on Ultra while hooked via HDMI to my 32'' TV. (If somethings wrong there, please let me know.) I would need the OS, keyboard, mouse, and ALL of the rest of the PC. So basically, disregard the monitor... I would do research myself, I just don't know whats considered "good" due to my lack of knowledge of recent PC's. Budgets right around $1000, give or take a couple bucks. Thanks in advance
12 answers Last reply
More about good build 1000
  1. ^ I always seem to have some issues liking what they pic for marathon builds. They don't include OS, Keyboard, Mouse or anything either which the OP pointed out.

    To the OP, I can give you some general info on parts, but if you list a build it might help. It's easier to tweak a list rather than starting from scratch. As far as main components I would look at an i5 ivy bridge (sandy bridge is fine, ivy is just the newer CPU), GTX 670 or 680 (670 is a better bang for the buck), 8GB or RAM, and around a 600W good power supply. The case, keyboard, mouse, etc are all personal preference.

    Althought BF3 really wouldn't perform much different on an i5 or Pentium I would suggest an i5 as it would perform well on other games. BF3 is really graphics card intensive and scales really well. Ultra is hard to achieve. I had a GTX580 OCed and could only run on High. I upgraded to a GTX680 and could then run full our guns blazing on Ultra.
  2. Here's a list I found: http://pcpartpicker.com/ca/p/aHKZ

    High-Ultra would be fine with me. Would it be like that for 1920x1080? And what kind of FPS does your GTX680 run? Thanks for the help.
  3. PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ Newegg)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($30.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($46.99 @ Newegg)
    Hard Drive: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($94.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($209.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Rosewill CHALLENGER ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Corsair 430W ATX12V Power Supply ($26.98 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: LG GH24NS90 DVD/CD Writer ($22.98 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
    Keyboard: Lite-On SK-2085 Wired Slim Keyboard ($16.98 @ Newegg)
    Mouse: Logitech B100 Wired Optical Mouse ($14.98 @ Newegg)
    Total: $959.84
    (Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-07-19 16:15 EDT-0400)
  4. njrengstorf said:
    Here's a list I found: http://pcpartpicker.com/ca/p/aHKZ

    High-Ultra would be fine with me. Would it be like that for 1920x1080? And what kind of FPS does your GTX680 run? Thanks for the help.

    I run 1920x1080 @ 60FPS all day long. I have Vsync ON so I don't know what it runs with it off.

    I like your list. You could trip the price a little hear and there. I'd really shoot for a GTX670 if possible. It is what really drives your graphics.

    I take it your are in Canada. I would stick with Newegg and look under the combo area for combos. Sometimes you can get something like a mobo + power supply combo that gives your $40 off. Just as an example. I've put together machines that I spend 2 hours messing with combos and saved $100-$200 just in combo deals. Sometimes the combos aren't so good, other times you strike it big.
  5. Thanks for the input! I'm in South Texas, actually, but I do plan to buy most of the items from either Newegg or Amazon.

    Here's one last attempt at trying to get the most out of the least. I would love to get that GTX670, it's just a bit out of the price range. I've changed a few things around, and done some research on other sites and forums. Please let me know your opinion, you've been very helpful!

    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/czkP
  6. - The F3 drive is a great drive. I have one and its one of the fastest, most reliable 7200RPM drives out there. For the price it's hard to beat. Just watch where you selected to buy it from. OutletPS has as shipping charge that makes it more costly than from Newegg with it's free shipping.

    - The 12GB Crucial kit is 3 DIMMS. Your chipset runs in pairs of 2. May I suggest this? I believe it was your first choice. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231428

    - I'm not really an Apevia fan. The specs look good on the unit though. I usually stick with the Antec, Corsair, PP&C, etc. But it should be fine.

    - I like the case. That seems like a good price and it's setup pretty well. A black interior always looks sharp, I will never go back.

    - You may want to keep your eye open for the GTX660Ti's coming out. For $299 they will perform much better than a 6850. Any of the Kepler cards will shine this go around. http://www.tweaktown.com/news/24931/rumortt_nvidia_geforce_gtx_660_ti_to_arrive_in_mid_august_priced_at_299/index.html
  7. Also look for Newegg ads they have TONS of coupon codes that are not advertised on their site. This is the last one and it has $10 off your case unti 7/23.

    http://promotions.newegg.com/NEemail/July-0-2012/BTS17/index-landing.html?nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL071712&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL071712-_-EMC-071712-Index-_-E0-_-PromoWord
  8. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/cDMx this has a slim keyboard buy you can get a standard one for the same price
    A cheap mouse and a cheap keyboard, buy you can upgrade. For $100 more you can get this graphics card
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125423
  9. jay2tall said:
    ^ I always seem to have some issues liking what they pic for marathon builds. They don't include OS, Keyboard, Mouse or anything either which the OP pointed out.

    To the OP, I can give you some general info on parts, but if you list a build it might help. It's easier to tweak a list rather than starting from scratch. As far as main components I would look at an i5 ivy bridge (sandy bridge is fine, ivy is just the newer CPU), GTX 670 or 680 (670 is a better bang for the buck), 8GB or RAM, and around a 600W good power supply. The case, keyboard, mouse, etc are all personal preference.

    Althought BF3 really wouldn't perform much different on an i5 or Pentium I would suggest an i5 as it would perform well on other games. BF3 is really graphics card intensive and scales really well. Ultra is hard to achieve. I had a GTX580 OCed and could only run on High. I upgraded to a GTX680 and could then run full our guns blazing on Ultra.

    Nah I'm pretty sure it work work better on an i5. Battlefield makes use of all the cores and you have to have a quad core to meet recommended specs.
  10. njrengstorf said:
    Thanks for the input! I'm in South Texas, actually, but I do plan to buy most of the items from either Newegg or Amazon.

    Here's one last attempt at trying to get the most out of the least. I would love to get that GTX670, it's just a bit out of the price range. I've changed a few things around, and done some research on other sites and forums. Please let me know your opinion, you've been very helpful!

    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/czkP
    That PSU is Tier 5. Worst of the worst. http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx
Ask a new question

Read More

PC gaming Battlefield Build Video Games Product