Printer will only work in Admin Account

To Bruce Sanderson,
Thank you for your reply. I used the "cut" method to move a program
I installed in my Admin account to the All Users Program files and it
worked.

I have the Dell 920 all-in-one printer which is only shared on the XP
Home computer among the Admin and 2 limited users. The work-around I've
used is to make a limited user an admin, let them scan once and then
change the account back to a limited user again. The scan will work
until the user logs out.

When I installed this printer Lexpps.exe asked for server rights in
ZA, so I gave them although everything I've read about Lexpps.exe
indicates it is needed for a Network Shared printer. In the past, when
I disabled Lexpps.exe in Zone Alarm the printer wouldn't work anymore
and I got errors. I don't know if this is coincidence or not, but I
gave Lexpps.exe rights now. Do you know if it's necessary to run the
printer?

Thank you.

Sincerely, Libra

Bruce Sanderson Wrote:
> [...]
> whoever
> Adds the printer, but see
> http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/NetPrinterAllUsers.htm for how to add
> Network Printer for all users.
>
> A printer that has a name of the form "PrinterName on ServerName" is a
> Network Printer; a printer with a name not like that is almost
> certainly a
> Local Printer, even if the printer is actually connected directly to
> the
> network or is shared from another computer.
>
> --
> Bruce Sanderson MVP
>
> It is perfectly useless to know the right answer to the wrong
> question.
>

> "RAMI" RAMI@discussions.microsoft.com wrote in message
> Ditto. I have one printer installed (an HP LaserJet). I can print
> only
> from
> the Administrator logon. The printer does not even show up as
> installed
> on
> the other user accounts. What do I need to change to make the
> printer
> (and
> other programs I install, for that matter) show up on all (or
> selected)
> user
> accounts?
>
> "Libra" wrote:
> -
>
> Hi,
> I have XP Home (I just got this computer about 2 weeks). After
> installing SP2 I installed a Dell 920 all-in-one printer. The
> printer
> will only work in the Admin account. A few days ago after reading a
> post here, I removed the printer and reinstalled it with all users as
> Admin. I then rebooted and checked it in Admin and changed the Users
> back to limited users. I blocked Lexprss.exe in Zone Alarm (since
> I'm
> not sharing with another computer, only the users). It wouldn't work
> and giving Lexprss.exe rights didn't help it.
>
> I again removed and reinstalled the printer today following the same
> procedure and gave Lexprss rights. It worked when the account was in
> admin. I rebooted and changed the accounts to limited users and it
> wouldn't work. I then gave a user account Admin rights and it
> worked,
> switched to limited and it continued to work. When I logged off the
> account and went back on it wouldn't work.
>
> Can anyone help? I was on with tech support for 5 days and no one
> could fix it. I have removed and reinstalled the printer at least 15
> times. I was going to return the computer and printer but at one
> point
> it seemed to be working and now I have lost that opportunity. This
> computer is my daughter's and I don't want her surfing around with
> admin rights.
>
> I would appreciate any help with this. Thank you.

Libra

No, I don't know if lexprss.exe (lexpps.exe?) has to be able to communicate
over the network for the printer to work.

Sounds to me like the "Dell 920" is really a Lexmark multi-function device
that Dell has re-branded. From the pictures on the Dell and Lexmark web
sites, the 920 looks very much like the Lexmark x1150 PrintTrio.

The folks that build the drivers for Lexmark printers seem to have their own
strange way of doing things. See for example
http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/CleanPrinterDrivers.htm#LexmarkDriver.

If the printer is actually connected to a USB port on the local computer,
there should not be any need for the printer driver to communicate over the
network, which is what firewalls like Zone Alarm control. But, like I said,
printer driver writers sometimes do strange things.

Unfortunately also, some of the people that design and build software expect
every user to be an administrator and don't even think about making it
possible to use their software/hardware with non administrative user
accounts. It's difficult to determine this without actually trying to use
the stuff.

Sorry, but I could not find any information on either the Dell or Lexmark
site about what you can do to allow limited users to use that particular
multi-function device.

About the only way this is going to change is for enough customers to
complain loudly enough to the vendors so they pay attention. Maybe, whoever
you bought the printer from will take it back/exchange it for one that does
not have this limitation.

When you change a user account from administrative to limited, what you are
actually doing is changing what "Groups" that user account is a member of.
Administrative user accounts are members of the Administrators group;
limited user accounts aren't. Group membership is only read when the user
logs on. Any group membeship changes affecting the user account made after
that will only have an affect on the users rights and permissions when they
logoff and logon again. This is normal behaviour for all Windows operating
systems.

--
Bruce Sanderson MVP Printing