Overclocking P4 2.2...

G

This is Crazy, but try to imagine how theses guys overclock the P4 2.2..... Visit website to see the photos !!!
The procedures :

" Today we cooled the new Intel Northwood 2,2GHz CPU with liquid nitrogen (LN2 -196°C).

The motherboard used in the tests was Asus P4B266 based on the Intel 845 chipset (DDR). There was a voltage modification on the motherboard which allowed the VCore to be raised as high as we needed. The memory module was Crucial PC2100 128MB and memory settings were the fastest possible (CAS 2 2-2-5).

We used a copper bowl on top of the CPU and poured some LN2 into it. It took a while until the CPU temperature started to drop and when it was cold enough, we started the test.

First test was run at 3300MHz (FSB 150MHz) and with no problem at all (VCore 1,9V). The next step was rather high but after raising Vcore to 2,05V Northwood worked stable at 3520MHz (FSB 160MHz). We went on with the tests and finally hit the limit.

We were able to boot to Windows 2000 when the CPU clock frequency was 3675MHz (FSB 167MHz) but we couldn't run any benchmark programs. The highest STABLE CPU clock frequency we were able to reach was 3630MHz (FSB 165MHz). At 3650MHz we were able to run heavy benchmark programs such as SuperPi and Pifast successfully although the VCore was quite high (2,12V). It seems that Pentium 4 can handle it without any conflicts.

I think the 3675MHz Wcpuid-shot we were able to get can be considered as the overclocking world record at this moment (17/01/2002), but I'm pretty sure the Japanese will try to beat it as soon as possible :)

BTW, Quake 3 Arena was quite fun to play when the CPU was running at 3500MHz! o_O
"

web site :
http://www.muropaketti.com/artikkelit/cpu/northwood2200/ln2/index.phtml

bye....
Luiz

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
Playing a game at 50, 100, 200, 300, or higher fps makes no diff. your eyes not able to see any change, we're just not built for it by nature. Some people say that they can see the diff between 100 and 200 fps, I just laugh, it's in their heads. :eek:

O/C the CPU using liquid nitrogen just plane stupid. There is no use, hell average users don't even need a 1 GHZ CPU. It's a good time killing game for people who are unable to find a girlfriend or life. :smile:

What the hell am I doing here? :lol:

<font color=red>Handsome A7V133 looking for long term relationship with a XP CPU. Prefer non smoker.</font color=red> ;)