when i try to send a fax a message apppears and says that there is no dial
tone and the phone may be in use. Am I missing someting????? I have gone into
the control panel and set up the fax console that way, but should I have a
plug connecting from my printer to my computer?

No.
But a phone line plugged into your modem would help.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"carriet" <carriet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> when i try to send a fax a message apppears and says that there is no dial
> tone and the phone may be in use. Am I missing someting????? I have gone
> into
> the control panel and set up the fax console that way, but should I have a
> plug connecting from my printer to my computer?

If you are online using a modem, and you wish to send a fax, you must
disconnect from the net first and then use the XP fax facility to send out..